VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i have heard that the Compustar brand is not the most reliable brand out there. I want to know why. What about it is not reliable? How can an alarm be reliable? It either works or doesn't. I am interested in the 2WSS-AS which uses spread spectrum technology and has a 1.25 mile range. The range is not the most important thing to me, ie I don't need a mile to lock my car. However, I want to know whether or not this stands up to the seemingly lesser Viper/Python remotes made my DEI? I would also like to know whether or not this alarm is worth the money, I am guessing around 500 to 550 installed. USD. Thanks

· Registered
451 Posts
Re: Compustar 2WSS-AS (MUYOSO)

I've been Dealing with/ installing Compustars for the past 5 yrs.
When the SS came out, yes there were some issues w/ range, namely that it wouldn't respond from a close proximity. I can assure you that it has been fixed. Ive had a 2000 series in my wifes car for 3+ yrs and a SS in mine for 1+. The only gripe I have is that when the battery in the ss remote is about 1/2 gone the response gets intermittent, so i put a new battery in....
if $$$ is an issue, and you don't need the 1.25 mi range get a 2wfm-as.
It's always upgradable to a SS later. just make sure to specify a Blue remote (controls 2 vehicles) or a white one (has a built in turbo timer)

· Registered
48 Posts
Ive been installing the Compustar alarms, for 3+ years now, and have nothing bad to say about the 1wam-as or the 2wfm-as, but IMHO stay away from the SS series Compustar, my local supplier has stopped bringing them in due to continuous problems. The SS is works with only ONE remote, so you have no second remote (two or 1 way).....and the remote is huge, almost seems bigger than some of todays smaller cell phones.....I think you will be happy with the FM series alarm...thats what I have been running in my cars for a while now.
Just my $0.02

· Registered
13,345 Posts
Re: (Swift_Golf_Coupe)

Honestly, with most alarm sytems are rather reliable, except for an occasonal bad unit that is a lemon. Which will happen cause the failure yeild in producing any electronics, will never be perferct.
Most often than not gross malfunctions usally are due to poor installation. Sometimes though a production flaw that doesn't get caught at the factory, willslide untill it gets back to the factory. I have seen it at Fluke, and let me tell you when gross failures happen due to the manufacturing level, Heads roll.
But usally alot of bad happenings that people have with alarms is due to bad install.

· Registered
48 Posts
non vibe remote and the shorter range are pretty much the only cons to the FM.....but the PROS....smaller remote (like almost 1/2 the size)...lower cost...you are able to run more than one remote (3 to be exact)....if you loose or break your FM remote it is still costly, but not anywhere near as costly as the SS remote.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.