VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Re: Confirmed: Youtube to back US F1 (mx5er)

Quote, originally posted by mx5er »
Ooops, sorry Bernie
USGPE.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77778
Will the car's livery will include google since they bought out Youtube?
Naturally one would expect a specific Youtube page full of footage of the car on the track and other clips. But will Bernie and FOM will make them take the clips down?

I hope this means that they provide better coverage of their team, car, etc. for the average fans.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: Confirmed: Youtube to back US F1 (wiredvw)

It kills me how completely stone-age the legal e-vailability of F1 is. Maybe a YouTube partnership can change this? How about a YouTube channel devoted to every complete F1 race whos rights are currently owned by the FIA or CVC Partners. I see this as a strong and exciting marketing move. Why would Bernie even care about the Ownership Rights of past races, if he's not doing anything with them anyway? I think it is comlpetely retarded and short-sighted.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Re: Confirmed: Youtube to back US F1 (jdouble)

Quote, originally posted by jdouble »
It kills me how completely stone-age the legal e-vailability of F1 is. Maybe a YouTube partnership can change this? How about a YouTube channel devoted to every complete F1 race whos rights are currently owned by the FIA or CVC Partners. I see this as a strong and exciting marketing move. Why would Bernie even care about the Ownership Rights of past races, if he's not doing anything with them anyway? I think it is comlpetely retarded and short-sighted.

I wish I could find his quote, but Bernie has been on record saying that the Internet is not a viable tool for F1
. I bet even if FOM wanted to get into delivering content online Bernie has backed them into the tightest corner with the contracts he signed with the regional TV rights holders. I am sure Speed has the "right" to distribute it online, but for a price.
I truly hope that this partnership can show the F1 world what can be achieved online.

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
FV-QR

No, the cars will be all white with "This paint scheme has been removed due to copyright violations at the request of Formula One Management, Inc." written on the side.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Big Morgan)

^ That's good stuff right there.
Sniff-petrol should photo shop an image as you just described it. That's exactly the type of thing I'd expect to see there. Brilliant....

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Crash6)

Quote, originally posted by Crash6 »
^ That's good stuff right there.
Sniff-petrol should photo shop an image as you just described it. That's exactly the type of thing I'd expect to see there. Brilliant....

http://www.sniffpetrol.com/page/2/
Quote »

There was good news this week for the fledgling US F1 team with the announcement that its debut season will be sponsored by YouTube, a move that will bring all the values of the popular video sharing website to America’s 2010 Formula 1 entry.
The first corollary of the new deal will be seen in the advertising carried on the car which will move and flash annoyingly, but only down one side. This will leave the main body of the machine free to carry liveries that will reflect the content of YouTube itself. American sources say during the first race, for example, the front of the car could carry some almost unwatchable footage filmed illegally at a Justin Timberlake concert. By the next race, however, this will have been mysteriously removed but it will be replaced with a pointless image of a mildly inbred American teenager endlessly performing wheelies on a small bicycle which will in turn give way to some needlessly macabre images of air disasters inexplicably set to the theme tune from Knight Rider.
The YouTube link up also promises to have a unique effect on the way the entire team’s efforts are seen on television. Whilst the rest of the 2010 F1 pack can expect to be filmed using state of the art High Definition TV cameras, the US entry will be exclusively covered on a low quality mobile phone promising unmatched levels of wobbliness and the constant sound of some unseen people noisily whooping and giggling just out of shot.
Finally, as a tribute to their title sponsors it is expected that during busy parts of the race the US F1 cars will become annoyingly slow and then crash. Although they’d probably have done that anyway

the Schumi pics are hilarious as well

·
Registered
908 Posts
Re: Confirmed: Youtube to back US F1 (jdouble)

Quote, originally posted by jdouble »

*slow clapping that turns into thunderous applause*
Kind of off-topic (or not), but I find it interesting that market research, while not agreeing on youtube's revenues, accept that those revenues are far outweighed by youtube's operating costs. Mark my words a lot of these free sharing/social networking sites are going to start getting a lot slicker in their production values and maybe even start charging membership fees. I bet a lot of people would pay a fee to watch past F1 races, etc.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Re: Confirmed: Youtube to back US F1 (third_attempt)

Quote, originally posted by third_attempt »

Kind of off-topic (or not), but I find it interesting that market research, while not agreeing on youtube's revenues, accept that those revenues are far outweighed by youtube's operating costs. Mark my words a lot of these free sharing/social networking sites are going to start getting a lot slicker in their production values and maybe even start charging membership fees. I bet a lot of people would pay a fee to watch past F1 races, etc.

Agreed.
The old strategy of 'giving it away for free in order to get them hooked' may become a more viable (yet high risk) business strategy in the future.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Re: Confirmed: Youtube to back US F1 (third_attempt)

Quote, originally posted by third_attempt »

I was wondering the same thing. YouTube's balance sheet must be a nightmare to look at if red ain't your color. This is why I wonder how they could afford to back USGPE or is it just the founder of YouTube that is backing the team? either way I am very curious as to how this will turn out. I wouldn't be surprised the CVC is starting to flex its muscle around with Bernie.

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anybody catch tonight's Wind Tunnel with Bob Varsha, Ken Anderson and Mr. Youtube?
This is the first time I ever watched the program at length and I felt that I really didn't came away with anything new. The only notable part was when Anderson said the team is planning a dedicated facility down the road.
I also noticed that Ken Anderson looked kinda like a fish out of water during the questioning. Either he's really keeping everything close to his chest or he needs to work on his PR skills. I think Peter Windsor would have been a better choice for the night. But I'm guessing he's probably on a plane from Valencia. But Anderson is first and foremost a engineer and not a spokeperson.
As I said before, this is the first time I watched the show at any considerable length. But isn't answering calls from fans a big part of the show? During the USF1 segment, they only answered one caller. I'm wondering if Mr. Youtube and Anderson told the producers to chill on the callers b/c things are not all set in stone and they want to keep a lot of things close to their chest.
I really hope USF1 keeps their promise and have frequent tours of their factory http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: Confirmed: Youtube to back US F1 (mx5er)

Quote, originally posted by mx5er »
I also noticed that Ken Anderson looked kinda like a fish out of water during the questioning. Either he's really keeping everything close to his chest or he needs to work on his PR skills. I think Peter Windsor would have been a better choice for the night. But I'm guessing he's probably on a plane from Valencia. But Anderson is first and foremost a engineer and not a spokeperson.

I didn't see the show last night, but I know that Anderson hasn't seemed too comfortable speaking with the media in the past. When SPEED ran the press conference when the USF1 was formally announced, Windsor answered 99.9% of the questions. Nothing wrong with that...Anderson is just a engineering whiz...different skill sets.
I am guessing Windsor is pitching the proposals to YouTube and other prospective investors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.