VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Small backstory -
I owned a 2007 GTI...and loved the car, however it blew a head gasket (1400$CAN) and then the next year the turbo had to be replaced, another 1500$.
I did not drive the car hard. I took good care of it.
Check engine light was on more than it was off, which drove me bonkers...cylinder misfiring often.
In the end I traded the car in because I was making payments AND paying the garage to keep it on the road.

I still feel VW GTIs were extremely unreliable. I switched over to a 2018 Subaru STI. Also a great car, however I am getting only 300km on a full tank of gas..city driving in "Intelligent" mode, which basically dums the transmission down to a regular car. No check engine lights, no issues and I drive this car hard....drifting, high speeds etc.

1) What type of real world mileage can you get on a full tank ? ( the official specs are always inflated )
2) I'm thinking of leasing or buying..but reliability issues make me prefer leasing so all the expensive repairs would be covered ?

Otherwise might go for a Civic Si....

thanks for any advice !

·
Registered
423 Posts
The real world fuel economy in VWs actually tends to be better than what is advertised in the specs in my opinion. Over a year of mixed driving I have averaged just over 30mpg with my 6MT. If you buy new, the warranty is a decent 4 years and 50k miles so you won't have to concern yourself with costly repairs for a while. The EA888 engine has been solid for many years so the kinds of issues you are likely to run into are more in the area of electronics IMO.

I'd say...
If you prefer reliability and fuel economy, go with the Si.
If performance, features, and refinement are more important, go with the MK8.

Also depends on how important traditional controls and ergonomics are to you given the Si interior versus the MK8 infotainment. Good luck!

·
Registered
2022 GTI-S stick
146 Posts
Thanks ! You might be right :)
I wanted the Civic SI but non were available and they had a $3500 markup. When I was looking the VW dealer had a S coming in with no markup so I rolled the dice and went with that. 4,334 miles so far so good except a cracked shifter knob wich I’m actually glad about because the Sportshifter Med weight knob I bought is so much better than the stock.

Honestly, if I had all those problems you had I wouldn’t have got the GTI but it’s a super fun car and I can’t wait to drive it every day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, very good info to consider :)
The dealer is getting a 2023 GTI in soon and will let me test drive. I'm a huge hot hatch fan, so I might go for it. Honda, on the other hand, distributes their cars differently, and where I live the dealer said it is very unlikely they can provide a test drive, as they have no control over how many cars they get, and they are sold before they arrive.

·
Registered
Black 2019 35th GLI M6
1,239 Posts
A bit apples and oranges but my 19 GLI (basically a sedan version of the MK7.5 GTI) has literally had zero issues. I was a bit hesitant going with VW but so far the car has been flawless. I don't thrash the car like a rental but I also don't drive it like a grandma. I am careful to ensure the oil temps are at 180ish before giving it the beans, etc. I think the GLI has slightly taller gearing and my daily commute has a pretty good amount of highway, but in the summer I average 35MPG and that's with boost and a bit of ethanol mix too. Quite impressed with the car so far.

I will say, buying a first model year anything is bad practice. Usually that's when manufacturers are working the bugs out of the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A bit apples and oranges but my 19 GLI (basically a sedan version of the MK7.5 GTI) has literally had zero issues. I was a bit hesitant going with VW but so far the car has been flawless. I don't thrash the car like a rental but I also don't drive it like a grandma. I am careful to ensure the oil temps are at 180ish before giving it the beans, etc. I think the GLI has slightly taller gearing and my daily commute has a pretty good amount of highway, but in the summer I average 35MPG and that's with boost and a bit of ethanol mix too. Quite impressed with the car so far.

I will say, buying a first model year anything is bad practice. Usually that's when manufacturers are working the bugs out of the car.
Mileage in my 2016 GLI runs a bit better than sticker disclosures. The GLI and the GTI (sister vehicles basically) are performance models. The more output a given engine produces, MPG declines a bit. Compare the H.O, 2.0 turbo engine vs. the 1.4 L. If you like VW driving dynamics. maybe the 1,4L is an option.

My GLI has 35K on the clock with no issues, I'm third owner, but the car has never been modified under the hood with exception for disconnecting the soundactor; nor the suspension disturbed. This car made in Hermosillo D.F. not in Germany.

BTW, we owned a "Saaberu" for 10 years--reliable, decent performance but not as strong as the engine ratings due to turbo lag. When the various seals (exhaust, turbo, oil and water pump0 go you are looking at thousands of $, $4-$5K. Ask me how I know...

All German makes are sensitive to MX and driving style...Asian cars don't have the driving finesse, but they shine if not highly tuned, with utter reliability. It's hard to enjoy both in one auto.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I had the same issue with the check engine light/misfire in my 2017 R, ended up trading it for a 2018 Alltrack and haven't had any engine issues it. The R was the only VW I've ever owned that had major issues, so from a reliability stand point, I find VWs just as reliable as Honda or Toyota though my personal experience. When I had the R, I so frustrated that I was seriously looking at ditching the brand and getting a WRX or SI, glad I didn't though.

With both the R and Alltrack, I'm getting about 500kms per tank in city driving, more if its a mix of highway and city. I have a 2023 GTI on order and am expecting the same. I also agree with Windemere, in my experience with VWs, I've always gotten better MPG than advertised. Also, keep in mind that the Civic SI has 91 octane as the recommended fuel vs 87 on the GTI, so that'll run you an extra 20-25 cents per litre if fuel finances are a concern. I got more than 300kms out of my old Mustang GT's with V8s in the city - current Subaru's are absolutely abysmal in MPG for this day and age, they seriously need to step up their game.

As for leasing vs buying, warranty repairs will be covered either way - how you finance the purchase price makes no difference.

Reactions: Windemere

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had the same issue with the check engine light/misfire in my 2017 R, ended up trading it for a 2018 Alltrack and haven't had any engine issues it. The R was the only VW I've ever owned that had major issues, so from a reliability stand point, I find VWs just as reliable as Honda or Toyota though my personal experience. When I had the R, I so frustrated that I was seriously looking at ditching the brand and getting a WRX or SI, glad I didn't though.

With both the R and Alltrack, I'm getting about 500kms per tank in city driving, more if its a mix of highway and city. I have a 2023 GTI on order and am expecting the same. I also agree with Windemere, in my experience with VWs, I've always gotten better MPG than advertised. Also, keep in mind that the Civic SI has 91 octane as the recommended fuel vs 87 on the GTI, so that'll run you an extra 20-25 cents per litre if fuel finances are a concern. I got more than 300kms out of my old Mustang GT's with V8s in the city - current Subaru's are absolutely abysmal in MPG for this day and age, they seriously need to step up their game.

As for leasing vs buying, warranty repairs will be covered either way - how you finance the purchase price makes no difference.
thanks very much, this helps a lot !

·
Registered
27 Posts
honestly i almost bought a 22 si but then i got inside the gti heck even the gli test drove all 3. while the si is a good car its not nearly as put together as gti/gli. driving wise i think you're a little more connected in the si but it just wasn't as good as the other two so i it was between the gti, gli for me. went with a gti at the end because i actually like the infotainment set up. not to mention the paint on the new si is kinda trashy i was a little surprised.

·
Registered
81 Posts
2007 was Mk5, the first generation after a major design change from Mk4, including an all-new engine. Reliability may have been an issue then, but not nearly so much now. I mean, they're not Toyota Corolla reliable, but they're a lot better than they used to be. Fuel economy can be significantly better than advertised, depending on your driving conditions. On long steady highway trips, with my 2019 GLI (same mechanicals as Mk7.5 GTI) I can brush up against 40 mpg, on my typical commute which is a mix of highway and city, I get somewhere around 26-28 mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You could try to find a used 2018-2020 Honda accord with a 6 speed 2.0t. It's a little bigger and heavier than a civic si. The tuning capabilities and performance upgrades for the 10th generation accords are endless. I did have a 2019 2.0t accord and just recently traded for a 2016 jetta for financial reasons. However if it weren't for money issues I would have loved to keep the accord.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I fail to see how leasing will save you from repair costs.... once your out of warrantee your on the hook lease or buy... doesn't change your responsibility.
Now if plan to lease every 2-3 years or buy and sell every 2-3 years it's the same outcome in maybe staying within warrantee.

Do you want a car to go from A to B?
Honda
or do you want a fun car to drive.
VW

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I fail to see how leasing will save you from repair costs.... once your out of warrantee your on the hook lease or buy... doesn't change your responsibility.
Now if plan to lease every 2-3 years or buy and sell every 2-3 years it's the same outcome in maybe staying within warrantee.

Do you want a car to go from A to B?
Honda
or do you want a fun car to drive.
VW
yes, I was misinformed about the leasing. Either way, I should prolly look into some sort of extended private warranty or whatever is offered....
also the test drive will pretty much determine if this is the car for me or not...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts