VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a small 13 acre piece of land in Central Wisconsin (by the Wisconsin Dells). I don't know anybody that has land like that, but I'd like a piece of land to call of my own, go camp at, canoe, fish, etc.

What kind of things should I be looking for when considering buying it? Is there any type of insurance I need? How do I find out if there will be a damn built up river and it'll wipe out my property? If it says hunting is allowed, is it safe to assume I can do target shooting on there? Is financing typically available through a bank?

http://www.whitetailproperties.com/...u/small-affordable-baraboo-river-sparta-elroy

This is one that strikes my fancy.

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts
IIRC, if it's your property, you can damn well do whatever you want. Within reason, that is. And by that I mean whatever codes, laws, and ordinances the city/town/county/state puts on your property.

I'd say 13 acres would be sizable enough for some shooting areas. In WA, I believe there are laws that spell out where you can shoot- off the road, not near water, etc. So keep that in mind.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,652 Posts
I have nothing to add other than, if you consider SE Minnesota one of the agents on Whitetail for that area is a family friend and a hell of a guy. :thumbup:

I'd love to get some land out in the sticks for everything you've mentioned in addition to a badass treehouse and an underground post-apocalypse lair.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
hmmm...I lived in the sticks most of my life. Its kinda nice to hunt and fish on your own land and to shoot whatever you want. I miss those days.

·
Administrator
19,739 Posts
Make sure it isn't a wetland of any kind. That is one of the fastest ways to not be able to do what you want with your land, whether it be hunting, building, pushing around some dirt etc. Also as mentioned above, check your local/state laws about where you can discharge a firearm. There are plenty of laws on the books that forbid doing so within x hundred feet of a road or residence. Depending on the lay of the land, you could very quickly be limited to where you can shoot on your property.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
Make sure it isn't a wetland of any kind. That is one of the fastest ways to not be able to do what you want with your land, whether it be hunting, building, pushing around some dirt etc. Also as mentioned above, check your local/state laws about where you can discharge a firearm. There are plenty of laws on the books that forbid doing so within x hundred feet of a road or residence. Depending on the lay of the land, you could very quickly be limited to where you can shoot on your property.
+1

And inquire as to whether mineral rights are included.
You never know.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it because you physically can't build on it or because it's protected by law?

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have nothing to add other than, if you consider SE Minnesota one of the agents on Whitetail for that area is a family friend and a hell of a guy. :thumbup:

I'd love to get some land out in the sticks for everything you've mentioned in addition to a badass treehouse and an underground post-apocalypse lair.
I might consider that area. If I do, I'll let you know and get his contact info :thumbup:

Are there any ways to make money off of a piece of land? Outside of having oil under the ground or a cabin to rent. I've seen hunting leases. How do those work? Can I let someone come in and cut down a few trees for me and pay me for that if I want a clearing?

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,652 Posts
Let me know. He also sells game cameras and these crazy ass deer stands (more like huts) on the side. Not sure what all you're into...

It's my understanding that hunting leases seem to be pretty big as well as small farm plots in addition to cabins and the like. :thumbup:

·
17,761 Posts
Is it because you physically can't build on it or because it's protected by law?
Wetlands are usually protected. Endangered species like wetlands. Even if you could legal build on a wetland, would you really want to build in basically a swamp?

·
17,761 Posts
add specifically states Non Buildable.

I wonder what the limits on that are? Who enforces that?

Not sure. A quick search shows "non-buildable" can be any number of things. I'd guess in most cases, it's because you're unable to get utilities to the property and/or a septic system installed. Which these things change through time.

I'd think you could build your own little shack without running water/electricity without much of a fuss.

My parents bought a cabin at the beach about 20 years ago. To the south there was a "wildlife preserve" which wasn't to be built on. Guess what? Yup, some developer from Cali came up, bought the land, promised "high-quality, resort-style homes" at the beach, roughly 80 or so. Only about 15-20 were built, sold for over $750,000 apiece, and now a lot of them are getting fixed because the Home Depot labor (instead of hiring locals, which was promised) didn't install the windows correctly and water is seeping in everywhere. The houses were built around 2006-2008.

·
Administrator
19,739 Posts
I might consider that area. If I do, I'll let you know and get his contact info :thumbup:

Are there any ways to make money off of a piece of land? Outside of having oil under the ground or a cabin to rent. I've seen hunting leases. How do those work? Can I let someone come in and cut down a few trees for me and pay me for that if I want a clearing?
Also take into consideration what the property taxes are going to be based upon your purchase price, not what the last owner paid.

Wisconsin DNR has some kind of land management programs. Basically you get a break on your property taxes if you jump through their hoops. Those hoops include letting them come on your property and 'managing' your forest (ie: cut timber an haul it away) and granting some level of public access. BS deal IMO.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/forestlandowners/tax.html

Additionally, I've rarely seen a case where someone pays you to come on your land to clear trees. Only exceptions are if you have some really nice, clean, old hardwood. Usually, they'll charge you an arm & a leg to clear the land, or only a hand and foot if they get to take the lumber.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Also take into consideration what the property taxes are going to be based upon your purchase price, not what the last owner paid.

Wisconsin DNR has some kind of land management programs. Basically you get a break on your property taxes if you jump through their hoops. Those hoops include letting them come on your property and 'managing' your forest (ie: cut timber an haul it away) and granting some level of public access. BS deal IMO.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/forestlandowners/tax.html

Additionally, I've rarely seen a case where someone pays you to come on your land to clear trees. Only exceptions are if you have some really nice, clean, old hardwood. Usually, they'll charge you an arm & a leg to clear the land, or only a hand and foot if they get to take the lumber.
Really? Up here they have to keep timber thieves off property because someone will go in a clear cut the trees off. My father made several thousand dollars clearing a 40 acre field from a guy who wanted the wood for chips and firewood. Trees are gold and they don't have to be old growth hardwoods. Paper companies prefer softwood. Firewood dealers prefer hard wood.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Then who holds the underground rights? Private party or a government?
Private party. Maybe an extraction company or an entity of one if there is known to be something valuable around. Or maybe farmer John sold the surface in 1902 but left the minerals (to be vague) to himself and/or his heirs.

I've bought, sold, leased, and traded parcels like this. Many of which were/are much bigger. If you accidentally buy property with severed mineral interest in the wrong geographical location you are potentially opening yourself up to underground drilling or mining that you have next to no control of. You'll also lose out on whatever royalty income may come with it.

On the flip side, if you don't care about any of that, look for property with only the surface rights. It will save you some money.

It may sound silly, but IMO you should always get a second opinion on the title before buying any property. Especially larger pieces of "fun" property. :thumbup:

*Just to echo what was stated above, be on the lookout for easements, right of ways, protected watersheds, etc. Those can really limit your freedoms. No one likes that.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
yeah, good thought on checking for mineral and water rights.

another thing to look at would be water rights. would you just have surface rights or drilling rights aswell. where I'm from enough rights to drill would be worth more then that land.. surface water rights are a MINT out here, and the state can "remove" them if they see fit. (we have about $80k in surface water rights in limbo now due to a fire that prevented access to land we no longer own, but inorder to maintain the rights have to irrigate, non use of the water will cause them to be transfered to the state :screwy: )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts