VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Subscribed, as this thread has many good insights. :beer:

Not to hijack your thread but has anyone ever looked at land auctions in Alaska? Pretty far away but the thought of owning a piece of Alaska has been fascinating to me...
http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/
How much does land go for there? Somewhere you can get by car from one of the bigger cities.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
yeah, good thought on checking for mineral and water rights.

another thing to look at would be water rights. would you just have surface rights or drilling rights aswell. where I'm from enough rights to drill would be worth more then that land.. surface water rights are a MINT out here, and the state can "remove" them if they see fit. (we have about $80k in surface water rights in limbo now due to a fire that prevented access to land we no longer own, but inorder to maintain the rights have to irrigate, non use of the water will cause them to be transfered to the state :screwy: )
They can take away your rights? I'm not following what's happening with your land. In English?

·
Banned by John until they unbanned me
9,077 Posts
They can take away your rights? I'm not following what's happening with your land. In English?
Your idea isn't awful if you have the money to do it. I wouldn't be sure that the WI property in your link is what you want.

If you want to talk to someone about it, let me know. Vortex is good for lots of things; a short course in real estate isn't amongst them.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
we no longer own the land sold to forest service, but retain the water rights because forest service had no use for surface water rights.

by state law, the water has to be used for its intended purpose of irrigation. if that is not done, the rights revert back to the state engineers office. we have to irrigate the land we no longer own, which is currently a predicament because its in a burn scar and forest service is denying access for good reason (flash floods) .the rights are also only transferable within the basin of origin.. its as unbelievable as it sounds, basically the state has it set up so sooner or later they own all the surface water.

it could be worse. water rights that are down shed from tribal land can be removed without warning by the tribe, happened a few years back, no more surface water rights for a small community, they stopped the irrigation ditches and no one could do crap about it. gotta be really careful where you buy land here, where the water comes from, and if its safe to drill (lots of wells bring up high quantities of uranium making the water a no-go)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts