VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a 2 in drop (yes i know it hurts hadnling
)
Does anyone have pics of a GTI w/neuspeed races?
Is it a true 2.0 in drop all around?
Any other suggestions...?
What kind of ride quality..handling with this setup??
Please post I need advice
Thanks in advance http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
PS was consdiering Pss9s but im never gonna go to the track or autox so i figured why not save some cash..still in between though..lemme know what you guys think

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Re: Considering Neuspeed Race and Koni Yellows...Good Combo...!!?? OR no (BlueGTIguy)

I had neuspeed sport, and koni yellows. It was still underdamped at nearly full stiff on the rebound setting. Neuspeed progressive springs bounce all over the place. I imagine the race springs would be even worse. Just get coilovers and don't waste your time/money.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Re: Considering Neuspeed Race and Koni Yellows...Good Combo...!!?? OR no (enginerd)

Quote, originally posted by enginerd »
I had neuspeed sport, and koni yellows. It was still underdamped at nearly full stiff on the rebound setting.

I'd venture more to say this was an installation problem.
First, you NEVER set Koni's to full stiff. Even Koni doesn't suggest this.
Any bounce problems you had were probably more likely due to the soft springs riding on the bumpstops.
An overly damped shock on the rebound could result in a stacking problem, which only compounds the problem, making your ride worse.

Back to the question, Koni shocks are an excellent fit for most sport springs, however with a 2" drop, you do run the risk of bottoming the shock out. I'd suggest looking into Vogtland's custom short piston Koni setup, or a Bilstein Sport, which uses the shorter shaft.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the replies gentlemen
Any more takes..?
Considering PSS9s What do you guys think?
1080 shipped...good or bad

·
Registered
589 Posts
Re: (Delux247's1.8t)

I think the Neuspeed race springs drop the car about 1.25" F and R. Take a look at the pic - it drops the car, visually, quite a bit.

The ride is pretty harsh on the rough District streets. I have the Koni yellows set almost to full soft, and run about 31psi front/29psi rear (cold) on stock-size 15" tires. On the highway, it is bliss. I have a little more body roll than I want but a sway bar setup would prolly cure this.
As far as autocrossing goes, its a good compromise setup. I really should get stiffer springs (coilovers really) and some kind of aftermarket bars (not sure what to do there yet... BFB/BRB debate rages on and on) - but for you on the street it should be great.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just had my Weitec tx kit replaced with the race springs and Koni Yellows...WOW. I have a bout 6 miles on the suspension(had to go to work). But if my driving experience was a sign of whats to come, i will be greatly satisfied. I hit a corner pretty hard that i usually rub, didnt even have a slight rub. I am loving it. I will give a little more feed back tomorrow after tonights little romp through the corners!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Re: (jabtay)

You either need the shorter shaft Koni which is very hard to find (with SPD3 at the end of the part#), or get Bilstein sport. The normal Koni is designed for mostly 1-1.5" lowering AT MOST (according to Koni themselves).

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Re: Delux247's1.8t

Delux247's1.8t,
Mike @ Pure-Motorsports has exactly what you want. He carries the Vogtland/Koni setup (2" drop) with the shorter shaft (Higher spring perch) for only $472.95.
966342 Golf 2.0L, 1.8T 1999 - 04 2.0" Short Shaft Koni Sport Ext. Adj*
http://www.pure-motorsport.com.../PA=7

Modified by DTMVDUB at 8:38 PM 6-7-2004

Modified by DTMVDUB at 8:39 PM 6-7-2004

·
Registered
572 Posts
Re: Spring Rates

Contrary to what's been posted here, the Neuspeed spring rates are not "soft." The SPORT springs are 220 front and 160 rear. The RACE springs are 285 front and 220 rear.
Don't set the Konis at full stiff. For street driving you don't even need more than a 1/2 turn of rebound. Why? When you increase the rebound damping on a shock, you slow down the rebound of the entire suspension. That means that it takes longer for the suspension to return to the static ride height position. When you add too much rebound damping, the suspension "packs down" -- literally it fails to extend back up fast enough to absorb the next bump in the road. That's why your car will bounce around -- no more suspension travel when it packs down, NOT a problem with spring rates.
Best Regards
Greg W.
NEUSPEED

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Re: Spring Rates (NEUSPEED)

Quote, originally posted by NEUSPEED »
Contrary to what's been posted here, the Neuspeed spring rates are not "soft." The SPORT springs are 220 front and 160 rear. The RACE springs are 285 front and 220 rear.
Don't set the Konis at full stiff. For street driving you don't even need more than a 1/2 turn of rebound. Why? When you increase the rebound damping on a shock, you slow down the rebound of the entire suspension. That means that it takes longer for the suspension to return to the static ride height position. When you add too much rebound damping, the suspension "packs down" -- literally it fails to extend back up fast enough to absorb the next bump in the road. That's why your car will bounce around -- no more suspension travel when it packs down, NOT a problem with spring rates.
Best Regards
Greg W.
NEUSPEED

no offence, but that is prety soft... im in the market for like 450front 375 rears..... which i consider higher-medium rates..

·
Registered
560 Posts
Re: Spring Rates (vokeswaagin)

Quote, originally posted by vokeswaagin »

no offence, but that is prety soft... im in the market for like 450front 375 rears..... which i consider higher-medium rates..

good luck finding anything like that for mk4.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Re: Spring Rates

Vokeswaagin, no offence taken. However, since this is Delux247's thread, my reply was intended for him. He is looking for a street setup, not a track setup. Quote: "but im never gonna go to the track or autox so i figured why not save some cash.."
You are correct in saying that what is "stiff" for the street is usually "soft" for someone like you looking for track-based spring rates.
Best Regards,
Greg W.
NEUSPEED

1 - 20 of 24 Posts