VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm considering upgrading from a B4 to an 03 W8 wagon. The price seems great, it has super low miles, looks and runs great, but the dealer seems to be giving me the run-around on certifying it. Given that the engine is unique, I want to make sure I have a warranty that will stand behind it.
The dealer has told me that they cannot certify the car because it's been on their lot too long (about 3 1/2 weeks when I heard this). VW's site only tells me the criteria are 5 or less model years old and less than 75k on the clock, which this qualifies for. I tried to call VW to get the skinny on the warranty, but they're closed.
I have two possible conclusions, trying to see which direction to head with this. I feel that the car is certifiable, but the dealer just wants to put me in a warranty that they sell. They wouldn't even negotiate on who pays for the CPO, even though they told me how much it is. I was told about $1500 to certify the car, or $2400 for their premium warranty. My thinking is the CPO is cheaper, backed by VW, and a pretty good choice. The other possibility I've considered is that there is something wrong with the car (although it's not immediately visible) and it would not pass the certification, thus the good price, and why the dealer is pushing the aftermarket warranty and giving me the B.S. about being on the lot too long.
So, what do you think? I've been dragging my feet on this for about a week and it's still available if I can get them to move on the CPO if it's possible, but if it cannot be certified I'm walking. Your comments are much appreciated, as I'm new to the B5 forum!
-Steve

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Re: Considering W8 wagon, questions about CPO (djsaint)

Sat on the lot too long? Thats BS. I have heard varying amounts on the certification price. Call VWOA to find out. They may just be trying to sell you a more expensive warranty. Given the high repair costs of the W8, I wouldnt get it without a CPO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.