VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 GTI 1.8 - the airbag light turned on mid-drive and I'm not sure if this is a widely seen problem.

haven't had luck finding anything specific on the forum.

I haven't had a chance to get any codes but I was looking for any information related to this. Do you know where I should look?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
i dont have too much knowledge on the subject but you might want to check the seat airbag connectors and the side curtain airbag connections and go from there because i dont think the steering wheel airbag connectors would come loose as easily as the other two airbags!

To check your seat airbag connectors push your seat all the way forward and make sure the height setting is all the way up, then look up under the seat and there should be two connectors one for the airbag and one for the seatbelt!

For the side curtain airbags i believe the connection is near the back of the car right near the rear oh sh*t handle, you will have to drop the headliner to access those connections!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
check your connections, under the seat and by the oh shiz handle

the light can be triggered by a minor accident even if the airbags dont deploy; or changing the battery or sometimes no real apparent reason

your airbag module may need to reset the dealership would be able to do it for you but i have no idea what you would get charged or you can buy an airbag reset tool on ebay for like $39 :thumbup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know of any class action regarding this apparently widespread problem on the VW??

A foot long cable connecting the steering wheel airbag to the controller needed to be replaced. The old one looked perfectly fine to me - no frays, loose wires, nothing..........

$430 at VW because I dont mess with airbags. But I am highly suspicious of why there isn't a recall or coverage on what sounds like a crappy/faulty component issue.

I'd like to sign on to this if there is anything related to this. Let me know

·
Banned
53,531 Posts
Does anyone know of any class action regarding this apparently widespread problem on the VW?? A foot long cable connecting the steering wheel airbag to the controller needed to be replaced. The old one looked perfectly fine to me - no frays, loose wires, nothing...But I am highly suspicious of why there isn't a recall or coverage on what sounds like a crappy/faulty component issue....
What makes you think there was anything wrong with the cable? Is it your thinking that every component that ever needs service should result in a class action or recall? :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.