VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Console mounted shifters

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  BananaCo 
#1 ·
I know this picture may be a bit hard to see:

But the new Civic Si, includes a shifter placed at the console.. there's somewhat of a debate going on in the Mk. IV VW forum, about the usefulness of that setup. Would anyone here have an opinion on that? I've believe other cars included that, there's an old Volvo parked near my house which includes such a setup. Anyone ever drive a car with a shifter in that position?

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Console mounted shifters (strlen)

I have experienced the column mounted "Sequential sportmatic" shifter in both Honda Stream and Odyssey. I don't see there's problem of its not ergonomically correct. It falls right at hand. This is a position that the armrest won't block your hand.

#4 ·

I'm surprised that since everyone in the MkIV forum is a race car driver, they haven't noticed that this type of set-up is very common in WRC and touring cars.

Meaning, it must be cool...and people will soon be finding ways of attaching shifters to their Golf and Jetta dashboards.

Mark my word...it'll happen.

#5 ·
Re: Console mounted shifters (ClownCar)

quote:[HR][/HR]Meaning, it must be cool...and people will soon be finding ways of attaching shifters to their Golf and Jetta dashboards.

Mark my word...it'll happen.[HR][/HR]​
It will create dash rattles and dealers are going to void their warranty.

#6 ·

Like Matt07 mentioned, many old vans had it, and still currently do, just
not in North America (I guess since we mostly prefer automatics).
The following three MPVs (minivans) have the in-dash shifter, the Citroen
Evasion, the Honda Stream and the Misubishi Space Wagon.
This is the Honda pic:

This is the Mitsu:

#7 ·

The reviews here have been very positive about the Civic shifter, especially in the Type R. Very short and direct.
I have driven such a setup in a Mercedes Sprinter. Very car like to drive, but you could feel there´s are complicated mechanics attached to it. Much better than a looong shifter on the floor. Unfortunately, the console didn´t stand the gravity.

#9 ·

Jeebus, all you "car enthisiast" in one thread about console mounted shifters and no one mentioned the bloody Alfa Spider?

And yes, the shifter on the console is great for driving (especially if you've got 1st on the dog leg) but it fubchucks the rest of the cars ergonomics.

#12 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm surprised that since everyone in the MkIV forum is a race car driver, they haven't noticed that this type of set-up is very common in WRC and touring cars.

[HR][/HR]​
WRC drivers also sit 1" away from the steering wheel, but judging from the number of drivers still sporting the gangsta lean today, I doubt this will ever be cool.

#15 ·

Yeah, I saw it on the spider. Its not like this one though, its on the dash itself. Way better set up than my Jetta, I dont know about the SE-R, and the 510's throws are pretty long. I've heard this shifter feels very good as long as you dont look at it...

#16 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]...there's somewhat of a debate going on in the Mk. IV VW forum, about the usefulness of that setup. [HR][/HR]​
A debate, an actual debate, in the Mk.IV forum! That has to be a first!

#20 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm surprised that since everyone in the MkIV forum is a race car driver, they haven't noticed that this type of set-up is very common in WRC and touring cars.

Meaning, it must be cool...and people will soon be finding ways of attaching shifters to their Golf and Jetta dashboards.

Mark my word...it'll happen.[HR][/HR]​
amen.

#23 ·
Re: Console mounted shifters (A4Jetta)

In the end, Chrysler too had to replace pushbutton shifter with either column shift or floor shift.
For Chrysler's Torqueflite automatic transmission, it reads:
A466- '57-'61, pushbutton shifter and cable operated
A904- '60-'64, pushbutton shifter and cable operated; '65, column or floor shifter and cable operated, '66 on column or floor shifter and rod operated
727- '62-'64, pushbutton shifter and cable operated; '65, column or floor shifter and cable operated; '66 on column or floor shifter and rod operated
The A466 had a cast iron crankcase, the A904 and 727 had an alloy crankcase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.