VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Console Switch

503 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  redled_ 
#1 ·
OK Guys.
I have made this from a dummy switch, it's going to be a switch and status led for my remote start. The cut-out is supposed to be a snow flake. A button goes in the big hole. Oh well, I know what it's for.

Anyways, I need some ideas on how to fill the cut out with a white plastic like the stock buttons. Anyone done something like this?
It's going in this:

You can see why I want remote start.
Thanks guys

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: (VReihenmotor6)

I hear what you're saying...
I thought of that too, but there are two problems:
1. I already have a defroster switch, would rather not have 2, though I suppose this is not a big deal.
2. The switch needs to be momentary contact, not a toggle switch like the defroster switch is.
I think I could fix #2, but for now I think I'm going to try this route and see what it ends up like.
Thanks for the ideas though. If I can get my current one looing half-decent, maybe I can take a defroster switch, drill out the defroster icon, and replace it.

#5 ·
Re: (lukedwag)

I already tried melting pastic, it didn't work.
I have half a gallon of epoxy, I've just been hesitant to try it since if it doesn't work I don't think I'll be able to start over. I'll try it if I get no more suggestions though.

#6 ·
Re: (redled_)

if not epoxy, use clear hot glue. it should hold up since your're only lighting it with a LED. before you fill the flake, be sure to sand down the front and spray it with some SEM texture spray to get rid of the gouges/scratches you left making the snowflake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.