VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will add to this as I figure out more. This thread is here to consolidate the vast amount of (often conflicting) information about putting haldex awd into a Corrado. There are basically two major steps which can be completed separately. Do not pm me about things in this thread, I have written most of what I know and have not yet done the conversion. Also, sorry If I stole your pictures...

Fitting the 02m into a Corrado

Parts Needed
1.Custom Driveshafts (either shorten stock or buy for ~700 usd from DSS)
-For wide front, subframe from VR6, Gti and Tdi from Golf mk3 the driveshaft length is 327 mm. and 423 mm.
- For stock Mk2 subframe the driveshafts are 7 mm shorter.
- Measurements are taken from flange to flange on the inner side of the CV-joints.

2. Custom Mounts front and rear (available from sdezego http://www.generalprinciple.com/sd/shawnweb.nsf/02mmounts?openpage ~300 usd)

3. Modify Tunnel and Shift box or aquire Euro Shift Box from
CA '96-'03 Caddy
LU '99-'03 Lupo / Lupo 3L TDi
LU '04-'06 Lupo / Lupo 3L TDi
PO '95-'00 Polo / Derby
PO '00-'02 Polo / Derby
POC '00-'02 Polo Classic / Variant

Part #:
6N0 711 061 A House
6N0 711 090 A Ground plate
6N0 711 611 C Choise arm
(~70 euros)

4. Clutch cable for an 02m and mk2/3 master, can be purchased from USP or it can be custom
http://uspmotorsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=574

5. Correct bolt/studs for the 02m Starter

6. Flywheel and Clutch matched to transmission

7. Must have VR6 splined hubs. For 4 bolt non plus suspension you have to fill and drill vr6 hubs or have the 4 bolt hubs resplined. Resplining can be done by RCV performance of Illinois.
- The splines are NOT the same for o2m and o2a axles but the outer CV has the same spline.

Modifications required to car

1.moving the transmission mount cup on the subframe approximately 1/2" to properly clear the larger 02m CV flange

Miscellaneous

Speed Sensor:

02a MK3 VR6 Speed Sensor Harness ---------> 02M harness

Black ----------------------------------> Black/White
Blue/White ------------------------------------> Blue/White
Red/Green ------------------------------------> Brown

Nice part is you can fit the 02m and run fwd while you figure out the next major hurdle, the haldex swap.
Haldex Swap

Parts Needed
1. Syncro rear axle assembly converted to accept haldex dif with dutch build kit (around 400 usd)

2. Rear end options:

Axle (circled are the 3 bolt axle mounts):

a) 1992 Passat G60 (available in European and Canadian markets)
-A popular option for those in North America due to the relative ease of acquiring parts.
-Requires either modifying the rear of the car to accept 4 bolt axle mounts such as "MrDave" did:

or the purchase of 3 bolt rear axle mounts from overseas which look like this:

-The floor and rear end must then be grafted in.
-With this setup you can use the stock fuel filler location.
-The downside is that you have a 70l fuel tank which hangs below the rear bumper.

b) Rally/Mk2/Mk3 syncro rear end
-This setup is similar to the passat, but is tailored more to installation into the Corrado.
-Uses a smaller 50l gas tank which does not hang below the vehicle.
-Difficult to source because was never available in North America.

Rallye pan: 191813116 $244

c) The third method is to use a fuel cell.
-To do this you need the mk2 axle mounting brackets, as well as the differential support crossmember.
-Requires removing the spare tire well.

3. Haldex Rear differential. Must be from a generation one haldex car. In North America this is easiest to source from an Audi TT.

4. Centre propshaft must be shortened, but bolts up without modification. Requires hangers to be welded into the tunnel.

5. Custom haldex to wheel driveshafts. Syncro ones work with some motivation, but shortened ones original to haldex would also work.

6. Standalone Haldex controller, or mechanical screw in controller. Check ebay.de

That is all I have for now. If everyone contributes a little bit of information we should be able to make a definitive parts and information list for those looking to swap. I will update the original post as I get information for ease of access.:thumbup:

·
Registered
13,251 Posts
I think these type of threads can be a good idea if the first page is continuously updated to reflect true and tried methods and info. A lot of the existing threads were WIP and the information is not always correct.

For #1 here is the axle length debacle for the + suspension in the MkIII or Corrado Vr (i.e. + susp)

Also, just remember that there is an AWD forum.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Several hard to decipher setups:

Front 5x100, stock width, 02M gearbox
Front suspension: Golf Mk2, VR6 hubs in G60 spindles
Driveshafts: Left Seat Ibiza TDI, part# 6Q0 407 271 J. Right shortened 4Motion, hollow type.
Front brakes: VR6 288, Audi TT or bigger bolt-on kits, adapter needed. (ESC Tuning.)
Prop shaft: Passat G60 middle section with 100mm CV, shorted TT item front and shorted G60 item rear.
Rear 5x100, stock width
Rear left driveshaft: G60 Syncro shaft, shortened, inner CV joints 4Motion, outer VR6
Rear right driveshaft: G60 Syncro shaft, shortened, inner CV joints 4Motion, outer VR6
Rear trailing arms: G60 Syncro
Rear hubs: VR6 Syncro, optional VR6 front hubs and 4Motion outer CV-joints
Rear brakes: VR6 Syncro
Front 5x100, wide track, 02M gearbox
Front suspension: Golf Mk3 Gti 8v 16v VR6 / Corrado VR6, 5x100
Driveshafts: Custom driveshafts with 4Motion inner CV and Sharan outer CV. http://www.driveshaft.co.uk/index_content.cfm
Front brakes: Audi TT or bigger bolt-on kits
Prop shaft: Passat G60 middle section with 100mm CV and, shorted TT item front and shorted G60 item rear.
Rear 5x100, wide track, 4Motion outer CV joints
Rear left driveshaft: G60 Syncro shaft with CV joints from 4Motion
Rear right driveshaft: G60 Syncro shaft with CV joints from 4Motion
Rear hubs: 5x100 VR6 front hubs
Rear brakes: stock VR6 Syncro
Rear trailing arms: VR6 Syncro

Front 5x100, wide track, 02C / 02J gearbox
Front suspension: Golf Mk3 Gti 8v 16v VR6 / Corrado VR6, 5x100
02J 4Motion (from 2000) or 02C gearbox, optional upgraded internals.
Skoda Angle Drive, part# 02C 409 053M.
Driveshafts: Stock VR6 Syncro with Sharan outer CV
Front brakes: Audi TT or bigger bolt-on kits
Prop shaft: Stock G60 Syncro with optional 100mm CV's from Audi TT
Rear 5x100, wide track
Rear left driveshaft: G60 Syncro shaft with CV joints from 4Motion
Rear right driveshaft: G60 Syncro shaft with CV joints from 4Motion
Rear hubs: 5x100 VR6
Rear brakes: stock VR6 Syncro
Rear trailing arms: VR6 Syncro

Front 4x100, stock width, 02C / 02J gearbox
Front suspension: Golf Mk3, 4x100
Driveshafts: Stock G60 Syncro
Front brakes: G60 280 mm, optional S2 callipers. 305 mm. Brembo from Seat Ibiza Cupra R
Prop shaft: Stock G60 Syncro, optional 100 mm CV's from Audi TT
Rear 4x100, stock width
Rear left driveshaft: G60 Syncro shaft, shortened, with inner CV joints from 4Motion
Rear right driveshaft: G60 Syncro shaft, shortened, with inner CV joints from 4Motion
Rear trailing arms: G60 Syncro
Rear hubs: G60 Syncro
Rear brakes: G60 Syncro

Front 4x100, wide track, 02C / 02J gearbox
Front suspension: Golf Mk3, 4x100
Driveshafts: Stock Mk3 Syncro
Front brakes: G60 280 mm. Optional S2 callipers, 305 mm. Brembo from Seat Ibiza Cupra R
Prop shaft: Stock G60 Syncro with optional 100mm CV's from Audi TT
Rear 4x100, wide track
Rear left driveshaft: G60 Syncro shaft, with inner CV joints from 4Motion
Rear right driveshaft: G60 Syncro shaft, with inner CV joints from 4Motion
Rear trailing arms: Golf 3 Syncro
Rear hubs: G60 Syncro
Rear brakes: G60 Syncro

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
#3 it is pretty easy to just use MK4 shifter boxh/cables....easier to source than any of the euro stuff

#4 Custom clutch line is one option (probably any local hydraulic place could help you out with this one). But another option is also to just use MK4 pedals/booster/clutch master....thats what i did but i also used complete MK4 abs system and needed the DBW pedal...

#6 You need to match the flywheel/clutch to the tranny so yes they are needed. (of coarse different flywheels for 4 and 6 cyl)

#7 Yes G60 will need VR6 hubs (and yes VR6 hubs will work with G60 spindles), so if you are shortening stock O2M axles you dont have to swap to plus susp. Keep in mind this wont work if you are buying axles from DSS or alike since they will most likely be made for plus susp.
For reference, I'm running shortened stock axles (put about 12k miles on them) without problems, and many track passes on them too.

2. Haldex Swap

Parts Needed
1. That is the easiest option which i also took. But brackets to hold the diff to the beam could be easily made by yourself also...

2. Passat floor pan probably wouldnt work too well in corrado
I have used rallye floor pan and passat syncro crossmember and had to modufy the floor to use passat tank. So the passat tank can be used but if i were to do it again i would just use sheet metal for floor and some type of fuel cell for tank. easier and cheaper...

3. answered aboove. But to use rallye tank you pretty much need all stock parts in the back like floor pan and crossmember which are hard to find nowadays.

5. 02m shortened driveshaft works fine...

6. There is 2 types of rear control arms (i think it was early ones ond newer ones but dont wuote me on that). Anyway one of them, newer i think, use same wheel bearing as all MK2/MK3/corrado front so you can use front VR6 hubs in those rear control arms.
Now axles. IIRC haldex diff is about 20mm wider total so about 10mm each side. haldex rear axles from R32 or TT wont work as they are too long. So you need passat syncro axle shaft which are still about 10mm too long. Unfortunately i didnt take any pics of this but i installed inner CV jopint without the plastic washer and spring washer and it worked that way...yes the axle is a bit long and a paint to install but onse in works fine...at least so far i havent had any issues with them.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
hello i have corrado vr6 1995
i need to convert my car to syncro can you help me to buy the parts th chnge the car
and if you can send me your phone num
thanks

:facepalm:

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Haldex for Haldex, Syncro for Syncro. Depends on what is being used.
Both need to be shortened, and some fab to weld in the tunnel supports.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Syncro Prop Shaft will NOT work with Haldex trans/diff, the flanges are different. Now, that being said, if there were a way to swap the flanges, you might be able to get away with it. I am unsure of the ability to swap them.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Syncro Prop Shaft will NOT work with Haldex trans/diff, the flanges are different.
Unless you get the rear diff from a Euro Sharan / Galaxy VR6, which has a Haldex style diff with a syncro viscous coupling attached :D But then you need the transfer case from a Skoda Octavia VRS.

Not that I'm over-complicating or anything ;)

1 - 20 of 232 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.