VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Haldex for Haldex, Syncro for Syncro. Depends on what is being used.
Both need to be shortened, and some fab to weld in the tunnel supports.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Syncro Prop Shaft will NOT work with Haldex trans/diff, the flanges are different. Now, that being said, if there were a way to swap the flanges, you might be able to get away with it. I am unsure of the ability to swap them.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Unless you get the rear diff from a Euro Sharan / Galaxy VR6, which has a Haldex style diff with a syncro viscous coupling attached :D But then you need the transfer case from a Skoda Octavia VRS.

Not that I'm over-complicating or anything ;)
Very true Mikki ;), however, with as bad as it is to find the Haldex (Only VR6 Bellhousing we have is from the .:R32) or Syncro (Passat Syncro) swap stuff here in the US, I would hate to see the cost of getting the Sharan/Skoda AWD parts over here.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I have the .:R one and was told it needs to be shortened.
I'd like to compare lenghts. Do you have an overall measurment by chance?

And thank you Kevin. :) :beer:

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
TT 3.2 and TT 1.8T may have different driveshafts.

TT 3.2 has same driveshaft length as R32 though.
1.8T and 3.2 TT Driveshaft P# is the same between the 2 TT models:
8N0 521 101J

.:R32 shaft P# is NOT the same:
1Jo 521 101AL

So if they are the same length, even though they have completely different part numbers, then no shortening required. :D Which makes my day on G60racer's information, that they are indeed the same length. :thumbup: :beer:

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I am still wondering about the hubs that I can use. I know g60 ones don't work, but I have heard ecs tuning 5 bolt conversion hubs do work. The adaptec 4x100/5x100 hybrids I am also unsure of. I would like to keep the standard front track and not go to plus suspension.
G60 or VR6 Front Hubs.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I don't know if this question is relevant here but Im considering and collecting syncro bits for a Corrado.

Question is how do I do a 5x112 conversion on the Corrado with Syncro? Does the Vanagon 5x112 syncro hubs work with any of the syncro conversions? Maybe custom half shafts?

I have an Audi and plenty of 5x112 rims. Im not a fan of adaptors so it's not an option for me
Cannot do 5x112 without custom hubs.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Bump. Quick question for the pros: If I go the passat syncro rear for haldex and am going to run the big gas tank what other parts do I need to source from Europe? I know there are two brackets, but other then that I think I would be good.

My plan so far is: Passat syncro rear setup with notched spare tire well and hemmeroid gas tank. Although I have a couple ideas for solving the gas tank issue. If it is possible I would section it and plastic weld it so it didn't hang so low, or if that doesn't work I will do a custom aluminum fuel cell that will still go to the factory gas door.

Only parts I have so far are the ones for the o2m box to bolt up like factory :banghead: But I have a passat syncro locally that I should be picking up if I can get if for the right price... and more importantly somewhere to store it considering I already have a wrecker Corrado.
Notching the floor only works on SLC's (& Canadian VR6) Due to the higher floor. You will need to cut and raise your whole floor using VR6 Parts.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
If it were me and it's not, knowing this is what it looks like under my trunk carpet would bother the **** out of me :thumbup:

This is not actually needed. If you have an SLC, the floor is high enough to just cut the spare well out. On the G60 the floor is lower, and the picture confirms the Passat Pan does not fit.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Euro retro box ?
Clutch line?
Standalone?
That bull**** isn't a given for awd/haldex/synchro I can get any brake line or for 80 a pair....
My Quattro v8 isn't adding to that but im assuming your putting in the time to weld if you're pricing as you are.....
Even my passdown to my son I could do for a bit cheaper ...... The question is are YOU wiling to get dirty? Even the plating I could do on my own but if you're a lazy " I want off the pretty shelf" person you run up a bill.... Functional and clean up/ up grade as you go not so much...... Just my opinion... Seems your adding engine and this would be considered purely drivetrain ..... Again I just see it being done cheaper if you have skills or play your cards right.
Are you drunk? Were you drunk when this was posted?

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
What's the deal with this? I bought a O2M shift box and Cables with hopes that that's gonna work for my project
Box from the Polo. Same Size and Mounting Points as an 02A Shifter, only with the linkage and guts from the 02J/02M Shifter to bolt in to the stock location. If using the OE Shifter from the MK4, the Box needs to have Fab Work to Fit.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
~$110.00 and WAYYYYYY easier to do than the MK4 box.

JamesS has the assembled unit. I know of a few others with it too.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
If the notch needed for a MK3 was that big, I doubt the Corrado would have enough meat left after notching!

Better tube chassis the front of the car JamesS

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
This thread is about to pick up again, although I might make a separate build thread for my car since I have a lot of non-awd stuff to post.

Just got this the other day. (along with vr6 fenders, wiper motor, and non-abs swap)

:thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.