VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
161 - 180 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Looking good James!
Thanks! I am really impressed with the cable horns, solid bushings and wiper delete I bought from you guys.

Yea, I shortened those rear straps on my mkIII subframe as well. I took a section out and rewelded. No one would be the wiser.

That is because you must have the TT box (which is the fist I have actually seen a picture of personally). See how it is low and has that offset? 02j and 02m from MkIV is just a straight long shaft which is waay too tall for the corrado (IMO). ....unless of course you have dinosaur arms :p
For the subframe I was originally going to go the washer route just to save time, but locating the position of the holes was too much hassle. This should be much cleaner, and I needed the cup tigged anyway.

That is interesting about the shiftbox, I had no idea the stalks were slightly different, but its worth noting for anyone doing the shifterbox swap as it will put the knob slightly forward

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
James,

Here is the Audi TT FAQ thread. Compiled some Haldex info that you might find useful :beer:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3443644-Audi-TT-FAQ/page5
Thanks, should be useful once I get to the rear end. Managed to get the Audi TT repair manual in pdf which would have helped me a couple months ago :laugh:

Progress is slow but steady.

Made the debris cover for the bottom of the transmission casing out of aluminum:

Syncro exhaust mounted:

Textured black powder coat for the main trans mount with new hardware:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
na :)

On a side note, I think you need a new oil pan :p
Its fine :laugh:

Powder coating loos good. :thumbup:
Are you doing it yourself or are you bringing your parts to a company to coat?
The gloss black on the subframe and crossmember was done by a local company, everything else I managed to fit in the toaster oven with some spatial reasoning

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
I am going through some pretty heavy Corrado withdrawal right now. Moved to Edmonton for school and unfortunately it doesn't look like this project will be wrapped up any time soon.

Here is the last progress:

I am hoping to get a bit of work done when I fly home at Christmas. Other than that it depends on where I am employed in the summer.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Bump... with some ideas for discussion.

I am thinking about ditching the 02m mount I am using right now in favour of welding on a later framerail mount. This would allow for far easier access to the bolt. As it sits the power steering lines make it near impossible to tighten the trans mount bolt.

If I used a framerail mount I could also shift over the entire engine/ transmission in preparation for a 5 cylinder. I don't know if I have the balls to do that yet though- might just make up an altered p/s line right now so I can finish bolting in the engine. Should have a better look at it once I get back home at Christmas.

I think I might start on the rear beam if I am bored over Christmas. :beer:

·
Registered
13,251 Posts
Bump... with some ideas for discussion.

I am thinking about ditching the 02m mount I am using right now in favour of welding on a later framerail mount. This would allow for far easier access to the bolt. As it sits the power steering lines make it near impossible to tighten the trans mount bolt.

If I used a framerail mount I could also shift over the entire engine/ transmission in preparation for a 5 cylinder. I don't know if I have the balls to do that yet though- might just make up an altered p/s line right now so I can finish bolting in the engine. Should have a better look at it once I get back home at Christmas.

I think I might start on the rear beam if I am bored over Christmas. :beer:
Just re-bend the PS lines. Ironic that I actually took a pic of the Bracket I made for mine just last week. I will post up the pic when I update my thread.

Going to Cradle mounts are a nightmare. It has been done a few times, but to do it, you need to:
  • Severely cut and weld boxed in pockets in the frame rails to prevent the engine from sitting waaay to high
  • Modify a MkIV K frame to work or come up with a creative design for the lower Dogbone which is a must
  • etc... etc...

Seriously, I had given this much thought before going this route. You will end up with a much weaker setup. The only advantage is vibration control at idle (who really cares about that :laugh: ).

After looking at the projects of the people who did, I am very glad I did not.. Check out the Red Rallye Golf project (iirc he went that route)

·
Registered
58 Posts
there was one in Mass back in the 90's guy named brian built it
Bit off topic but I just noticed your signature. Then I noticed your location. It's funny I just picked up my 850CSi from rochester a bit over a month ago. Yep.....red :).

Part of my flock (a red corrado would complement that nicely!) :

161 - 180 of 232 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.