VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Interesting that Hyundai is in Top category but Kia is in Mid...

It seems Mazda has done well at improving upon issues in various generations of their cars like corrosion protection, NVH, build quality, etc. They are a remarkable bang for the buck and I hope they only get better.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Why does a brand who advertises under the tagline "the best or nothing" consistently rank below average in reliability in every major survey?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Why does a brand who advertises under the tagline "the best or nothing" consistently rank below average in reliability in every major survey?
If you need to be the best then you buy a new car every year. Reliability is not a concern. Why keep an old car? It's not the best anymore.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Buick is 4th (top)
GMC is 16th (mid)
Chevy is 17th (mid)
Cadillac is 21st (bottom)

Is it just how customers report issues? Are Buick owners more tolerable of infotainment issues than Cadillac owners?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Buick is 4th (top)
GMC is 16th (mid)
Chevy is 17th (mid)

Is it just how customers report issues? Are Buick owners more tolerable of infotainment issues than Cadillac owners?
Buick owners are old; they don't know how to work the internet :laugh:

·
Registered
'16 Fusion Hybrid, '67 Datsun Roadster
18,980 Posts
Actually it can be. The article states it's model year 2000 through 2020, so they're looking at a huge number of model years. Also, at this point most of the powershift cars are likely running out or already outside their extended warranties, making owners even more likely to fill out an angry survey when they receive one from Consumer Reports. So Ford may just sink more and more until all the Powershift cars are finally in junkyards or in 20 years when the oldest Ford PS car is too old for the rolling 20-year survey.
Thats a shame, since my Fusion has been bullet proof.

But then again, Ford did this to themselves with that crappy transmission.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
What bothers me is CR lumps infotainment and other little nit-picks and issues in with everything else to get this total score. Infotainment issues shouldn't have the same weight as other issues.
I'm pretty sure all ratings companies do the same, and it sucks.

But with CR... I'm guessing the majority of respondents are aged 60-50-70. For example: they'd given the Infinti Q70 sedan high marks. A few years ago, I drove one and discovered the infotainment was WAY out of date, it felt like it came from 2009. I think older people are OK with a Flintstones interface, although most normal people are not.

·
Registered
2004 ForesterXT 5MT, 2019 Golf R 6MT
42 Posts
Buick is 4th (top)
GMC is 16th (mid)
Chevy is 17th (mid)
There are probably FoMoCo parts in your Mazda if it's pre-2015. i've seen some on our mazda 5
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda...ership,a 33.4% ownership of Mazda in May 1995.

how is mini so far down the list when they're made by BMW?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_(marque)

where is(are) jaguar/land rover you ask.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tata_Motors#Jaguar_Land_Rover
TaTas show up in other magazines, but not consumer reports.

·
Registered
34,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
But with CR... I'm guessing the majority of respondents are aged 60-50-70.
That's actually pretty relevant for new car buyers though, as most young people buy used cars and only the older (wealthier due to being more established in their careers) people are mainly buying those higher end cars in particular. A quick search turned up an article which in 2018 stated that CR managed to reduce their average age from 52 to 49 years old by changing the type of content they focused on. So sure, that means there's plenty of 50+ readers, but that half of them are under 50 as well. Again: much like the typical new car buyer.

·
Registered
17,333 Posts
What bothers me is CR lumps infotainment and other little nit-picks and issues in with everything else to get this total score. Infotainment issues shouldn't have the same weight as other issues.
I disagree. If a faulty infotainment system is malfunctioning on every third startup and is also hundreds of dollars to replace (factory head units are often highly overpriced and in the case of Mazda there isn't a reasonable aftermarket replacement since they started doing the iPad atop the dash model), that *is* significant in terms of the persistency of the issue and the cost to fix it.

That VW ranking....Oooofffffff
Agreed, but it doesn't surprise me. I have owned five VWs in my lifetime and by far my Mk6 Golf was the best when it comes to reliability and lack of issues. I currently have a Mk7 Golf and my confidence isn't there that it will be as good.

Pretty easy to be competent when you don't manufacture a lot of volume or have a broad product line :p

I kid...all I can say is that the Mazdas we've owned have all been flawless mechanically, which is to be expected from a simple car. Our last one, a '13 Mazda3 hatchback, had zero faults and not even a check engine light in 6 years or 125,000 miles. My only gripes were subjective, like how loud it was on the road thanks to minimal sound deadening, or its basic and cramped interior - neither or which contribute or take away from its mechanical reliability. Mazda's are well thought-out and screwed together, so it's no surprise really.
They have gotten more complicated and less simple (or at the very least they appear complicated and less simple since the materials, fit, finish, and equipment is indistinguisable from entry-level luxury/premium brands since your 2013 model) and yet have not stumbled when it comes to reliability AFAIK. Your above gripes have been generally addressed in current Mazdas without losing their reliability and build quality.

My sister-in-law and her husband are on their third Mazda since 2002 and all three have been phenomenally reliable and very forgiving. Their newest one is from 2014 (a 2014 Mazda 5 Sport (base model, still simple)) before Mazda went more upmarket. I can count five other friends or relatives that have bought the prior-to-the-current-gen CX-5 CUV and all have loved them and not had any major issues to speak of from a reliability standpoint and I'm sure they all would recommend a CX-5 to others. Our roommate also bought a used 2018 3 Touring hatchback earlier this year and is in seventh heaven and over cloud nine with it.

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,101 Posts
CR never corresponds to any of my real life experiences. Take this latest ranking. Hyundai at the top. VW at the bottom. My dad bought a Hyundai Accent the same year I bought my VW Golf R. He's had constant problems, oil leaks etc. I've had a flawless 4 years. I know this is anecdotal and they have the stats to back things up, but it just never rings true to me.

·
Premium Member
7,765 Posts
Mazdas are def very reliable and they feel very upscale for mainstreamers. But I'm guessing driving excitement doesn't figure into this ranking, because IME the mainstreamers drive very meh. I haven't driven any 2.5T vehicles yet but that price gets you some spice.

It is interesting to contrast the mainstream plus approaches between H/K and Mazda. Flamin Cheetos vs Trader Joe's Truffle Mushroom Mac And Cheese. Mainstream customers want Cheetos :D But now they have those in truffle mushroom flavor too ;)

·
Registered
331 Posts
We've gone through a lot of nice german and japanese cars, and a couple american made as well. I recently "traded" my SQ5 (wasn't driving it) for a stripper CX-5 (2020) for the girls as they learn to drive. I'm really shocked by the value in these cars. For around 27k it's a nicely equipped little SUV that drives shockingly well. Even the little 2.5 na engine punches way above its weight. interior feels great. Ride/handling is outstanding. I'm shocked by how much I enjoy driving this thing. Mazda hit it out of the park.

·
Registered
23,172 Posts
We had a 2013 Mazda CX5 2.0 for over 6 years. I gotta say it gave us no issues till we sold it to Carvana at 95k miles. Only thing was that the the little 4 banger was a little underpowered. Other than that it was so solid. I'd go for Mazda again for sure... their product is so well thought out, alot of human interaction/experience put into it, for the money. I hope they continue to climb and have good success. Even though they're small, their passion is evident.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
They must still classify "unable to figure out cruise control" as a problem
IMO they try to cram too much technology with parts that are poorly engineered and low quality. Like leaky sunroofs, digital clusters, plastic water pumps, plastic oil pans...etc. They do not last and are extremely expensive to fix (well there is no real fix for many of these parts as they are poorly designed from the get go, just replace and wait for another failure). No wonder they got rid of the "people's warranty". It would probably bankrupt the company if they didn't.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts