VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
we bought a new CUV this summer. We directly compared the Mazda CX-5 to the Toyota Rav4 XSE Hybrid... My wife loves her new '20 CX-5. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
What bothers me is CR lumps infotainment and other little nit-picks and issues in with everything else to get this total score. Infotainment issues shouldn't have the same weight as other issues.

Mazda doesn't surprise me though. We loved our 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring and mechanically it was very sound but there were some issues with that vehicle that bothered me over time, mainly..

• Poor rustproofing underneath/cheap steel. Lot of surface rust on steel suspension components, etc. When I compared that to my at the time same age (2016) Nissan Frontier, the Nissan looked brand new underneath in comparison.
  • Front Driver Door speaker cone adhesive separated from the speaker basket causing it to sound like it had a blown speaker. Apparently common across many late model Mazdas with the Bose system. Fixed by removing door card and applying special speaker adhesive/glue to re-glue the cone to the basket.
  • Center arm-rest latch (plastic) failed and broke. Cheap easy replacement, again extremely common, but bothersome regardless.
  • Loose rear spoiler/rear hatch area rattles. Fixed rear spoiler (common issue) by tightening the nuts up inside, but the wings were never able to get snug. Used small rubber stoppers with an adhesive back stuck underneath to stop the rattling.
  • Rear seat (either driver side or center) rattle that drove me nuts. Could never pinpoint it. Also a common issue per the forums.
  • Car ate brakes quickly. Did front+rear pads & rotors by 45k mi and it was my wifes car, she drives very gingerly.
  • Soft brake pedal. Again, characteristic. Bled them twice with little improvement. Initial tip in/bite was not great is all.
  • Noisy cabin at fast freeway cruising speeds of 75+mph
  • Intuitive but slow infotainment.

Other than that, it was fine, but that's a shocking list for just 2 years of ownership. The door cards creaked when you pushed and pulled on them, as well. Some positives were great headlights, great audio system quality, very responsive powertrain (I actually like the 2.5/6AT and found it more than adequate), EXCELLENT driving dynamics/feel, and downright sexy design.
I pretty much 100% agree with this list. We just ticked over 53k on our 2016.5, and I truly can't say anything BAD about it. Its running costs are gas, insurance and consumables. It's a little chintzy in some places (flimsy center console, door cards, some touch points), I've had the exact "annoying" little issues as you have (broken center console latch, the occasional rattle), but overall it reminds me a TON of our old 2005 CR-V. I hated parting ways with it because it was such a well built, well engineered vehicle, and the CX-5 has that same smartness and feel about it as the CR-V did. Not a bank vault, but solid. Not a luxury car, but feels nice when you get into it.

I will say...I definitely need to do the brakes :laugh: Any recommendations or should I stick with OEM?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
we bought a new CUV this summer. We directly compared the Mazda CX-5 to the Toyota Rav4 XSE Hybrid... My wife loves her new '20 CX-5. :thumbup:
My MIL drives a 2018 Rav4 and I recently shuffled it around our driveway...

I was truly shocked at how unimpressive it was inside. Did not like.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The only problem I ever saw with the Duratec V6 was coils and water pumps.
In the Mustang it wasn't an issue, since it had an external water pump.
The FWD packaging required moving the water pump behind the timing chains. Most V6s use timing belts, so you replace the water pump with the belts, but the Duratec used chains, which were very durable. The problem is when the pump fails, there is no coolant dripping on the ground to clue you in. The other issue is the oil pan sticks out further than the front of the block to the timing chain cover. When the water pump fails, the coolant drains into the oil pan, diluting the oil which will make the main bearings fail.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/ford-water-pump-class-action-lawsuit.shtml

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
^^ From what i remember there is a weep hole you can see coolant run out of when it does fail.

But yes, that is a big job.

The coils became an issue when people ignored the miss fire and the raw gas kills the cats.

·
Registered
16,545 Posts
not usually a fanboy, but I have to say we ADORE our 2018 cx-5. it's been flawless over 30k hard miles
We have 2 ourselves...2018's as well. 25-26k on each on them. My wife and daughter love them. I am pleased because they actually listened to me for once when I told them to go test drive one. :D

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
What bothers me is CR lumps infotainment and other little nit-picks and issues in with everything else to get this total score. Infotainment issues shouldn't have the same weight as other issues.

Mazda doesn't surprise me though. We loved our 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring and mechanically it was very sound but there were some issues with that vehicle that bothered me over time, mainly..

• Poor rustproofing underneath/cheap steel. Lot of surface rust on steel suspension components, etc. When I compared that to my at the time same age (2016) Nissan Frontier, the Nissan looked brand new underneath in comparison.
  • Front Driver Door speaker cone adhesive separated from the speaker basket causing it to sound like it had a blown speaker. Apparently common across many late model Mazdas with the Bose system. Fixed by removing door card and applying special speaker adhesive/glue to re-glue the cone to the basket.
  • Center arm-rest latch (plastic) failed and broke. Cheap easy replacement, again extremely common, but bothersome regardless.
  • Loose rear spoiler/rear hatch area rattles. Fixed rear spoiler (common issue) by tightening the nuts up inside, but the wings were never able to get snug. Used small rubber stoppers with an adhesive back stuck underneath to stop the rattling.
  • Rear seat (either driver side or center) rattle that drove me nuts. Could never pinpoint it. Also a common issue per the forums.
  • Car ate brakes quickly. Did front+rear pads & rotors by 45k mi and it was my wifes car, she drives very gingerly.
  • Soft brake pedal. Again, characteristic. Bled them twice with little improvement. Initial tip in/bite was not great is all.
  • Noisy cabin at fast freeway cruising speeds of 75+mph
  • Intuitive but slow infotainment.

Other than that, it was fine, but that's a shocking list for just 2 years of ownership. The door cards creaked when you pushed and pulled on them, as well. Some positives were great headlights, great audio system quality, very responsive powertrain (I actually like the 2.5/6AT and found it more than adequate), EXCELLENT driving dynamics/feel, and downright sexy design.
I would have agreed with you 10 years ago, but in a time when infotainment systems in many cars control everything from climate controls to safety systems to even things like windshield wipers (*cough, Tesla, cough*) they absolutely need to be weighed just as heavily as other items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
I would have agreed with you 10 years ago, but in a time when infotainment systems in many cars control everything from climate controls to safety systems to even things like windshield wipers (*cough, Tesla, cough*) they absolutely need to be weighed just as heavily as other items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After coming out a Ram with uConnect to my Mazda, even I agree it's the worst infotainment. You kids like lag?! :banghead:

13,840 Posts
They actually don't:

Because problems with the engine, major; engine cooling; transmission, major; and drive system can be serious and expensive to repair, our calculations give extra weight to problems in those areas.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-reliability-histories/
But I agree with your take otherwise. Our CX-5 has not been flawless even though the drivetrain has been fine. The infotainment has given me the most headaches with extremely flaky performance, sometimes randomly restarting, backup camera didn't come on a few times, and such. The dealer would put on updates but it never improved until they finally figured out the SD card for the navigation was faulty. Now it mostly works but it took them three years to fix. The passenger side power door lock got squeaky and I managed to get it replaced just as the warranty expired. Now the drivers door switch will think the door is closed even when its open which can lock the car when you don't want it to. The hatch struts were replaced as part of a recall and the new ones are incredibly loud. All these little things have added up to me not wanting to buy another Mazda.

Meanwhile the "unreliable" Ford hasn't had a single issue that wasn't either universal (12 volt battery needed replaced, new tires put on) or a recall.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
They actually don't:

But I agree with your take otherwise. Our CX-5 has not been flawless even though the drivetrain has been fine. The infotainment has given me the most headaches with extremely flaky performance, sometimes randomly restarting, backup camera didn't come on a few times, and such. The dealer would put on updates but it never improved until they finally figured out the SD card for the navigation was faulty. Now it mostly works but it took them three years to fix. The passenger side power door lock got squeaky and I managed to get it replaced just as the warranty expired. Now the drivers door switch will think the door is closed even when its open which can lock the car when you don't want it to. The hatch struts were replaced as part of a recall and the new ones are incredibly loud. All these little things have added up to me not wanting to buy another Mazda.

Meanwhile the "unreliable" Ford hasn't had a single issue that wasn't either universal (12 volt battery needed replaced, new tires put on) or a recall.
Those are incredibly minor issues for a 5 year old car to be fair, and you know exactly which powertrain is considered unreliable in the Focus.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
T

While I've only owned my car for 16 months, the new system has been nearly flawless. It screwed up once while going scrolling through songs on my USB key and Android Auto can be a little flaky (probably due to my old phone). It has zero lag at start-up even in the cold and zero lag loading phone contacts or scrolling between Mazda's system and AA. I absolutely love the system.

13,840 Posts
While I've only owned my car for 16 months, the new system has been nearly flawless. It screwed up once while going scrolling through songs on my USB key and Android Auto can be a little flaky (probably due to my old phone). It has zero lag at start-up even in the cold and zero lag loading phone contacts or scrolling between Mazda's system and AA. I absolutely love the system.
Maybe they upgraded the chip in the new one. On mine, it takes about 40 seconds (I actually timed it) from pressing the start button to being able to change the station or switch to Bluetooth. Again I’m comparing it with the much maligned MyFord Touch in the Focus which has been flawless even if it isn’t very intuitive. I like Mazda and I dont regret buying one, but I paid close to sticker because I thought I was buying something that would work flawlessly. Japan built quality and all that. Don’t feel like it was the best deal in retrospect.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
^ It's a common complaint on the old infotainment. Mine has the new version which is significantly improved.

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
The dealer would put on updates but it never improved until they finally figured out the SD card for the navigation was faulty.
Wanted to call this out again for anyone else here who has this issue, there is a TSB for it: https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/125253/SI112875

My '16 Mazda6 had the same issues and it was remedied by replacing the faulty SD card. You can temporarily 'fix' it yourself by just removing the SD card, though of course you lose the nav capabilities if you do that.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
^^ From what i remember there is a weep hole you can see coolant run out of when it does fail.

But yes, that is a big job.
Nope. If you look at the image above, the only place the coolant can go is into the oil pan. That whole mess is covered by the timing chain cover.
hence the class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I pretty much 100% agree with this list. We just ticked over 53k on our 2016.5, and I truly can't say anything BAD about it. Its running costs are gas, insurance and consumables. It's a little chintzy in some places (flimsy center console, door cards, some touch points), I've had the exact "annoying" little issues as you have (broken center console latch, the occasional rattle), but overall it reminds me a TON of our old 2005 CR-V. I hated parting ways with it because it was such a well built, well engineered vehicle, and the CX-5 has that same smartness and feel about it as the CR-V did. Not a bank vault, but solid. Not a luxury car, but feels nice when you get into it.

I will say...I definitely need to do the brakes :laugh: Any recommendations or should I stick with OEM?
Yeah, those common issues were definitely common.

I went with Autopart International pads & rotors - house brand - for rear. Ceramic pads & coated rotors. The fronts, I just pad slapped. The rotors were fine.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Nope. If you look at the image above, the only place the coolant can go is into the oil pan. That whole mess is covered by the timing chain cover.
hence the class action lawsuit.
Interestingly enough, Toyota's 3.5L V6 suffers from the same design flaw. I wonder why these manufacturers chose to do it that way.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I'd trade our CX5 for a Tiguan in a heartbeat. But my wife picked it, and likes it, mostly because of the styling. Not buying another mazda SUV.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Interestingly enough, Toyota's 3.5L V6 suffers from the same design flaw. I wonder why these manufacturers chose to do it that way.
I think it has to do with FWD packaging. If the water pump doesn't stick out past the timing chains they can make the engine much shorter.
It would actually be an improvement to do it like Honda does and use timing belts. Then it is a maintenance item. Belts and pump.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts