VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title suggests, I would like to know if it's possible to modify the doors of a late model 1991 Golf to become the equivalent early model quarter window and side mirror doors.

Why? because early model quarter window doors are sweet! 馃

From what I can tell it seems the only real difference is that there is a metal piece that holds the late model mirror in place would need to be cut and then some holes drilled on the side of the doors for the mirrors to fit. I'm not sure if the existing manual window regulator would work, but I know i'll need new quarter window glass and window seal.

Am I missing anything? Is this doable and are there any other specific parts required to do this conversion.

Registered
The window track is different as well as the regulators... I have an early door I might be able to take pictures for you and measurements as well...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Ok gotcha, yeah any photos and info would be helpful. I'm hoping I can keep my existing doors and just make the modifications. If not then I guess replacement doors are in order.

Registered
You will need new small window door. The issue is with how the outside mirror mounts on big window door. It prevents the whole swap idea cause is in the way of the small triangle glass that is on small window door.

Hope this helps.

Sausage King of Chicago
You have to swap the entire door.

Also: small doors, FTW

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input.

I am aware that I would need a small door car (4-door) which is what I have. And I understand that the triangle area where the mirror currently mounts is in the way of the early model triangle glass area. This is why I am asking for input on if cutting the triangle metal area out and drilling holes in the door for the side mirrors would work.

Sausage King of Chicago
Thanks for the input.

I am aware that I would need a small door car (4-door) which is what I have. And I understand that the triangle area where the mirror currently mounts is in the way of the early model triangle glass area. This is why I am asking for input on if cutting the triangle metal area out and drilling holes in the door for the side mirrors would work.

No, it won't work. You need the correct doors in order to run small windows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts