VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our plan is to have our 2001 Audi Allroad on aftermarket bags by the end of the year. Allroad's were produced from 2001 to 2005 and all came with adaptive air suspension. The original suspension is made by continental teves and is know for having failures in the following areas: Controll modules, airsprings, shocks, valve block, compressor and level sensors. Another thing to note is that allroads are made on the same chasis as the C5 A6 Quattro Avant. Our plan is to remove the factory air suspension and run a complete aftermarket system. To do this we will have to do a number of things such as remove the old air suspension and convert the Allroad to run C5 A6 quattro Avant suspension. The reason for this is because there are no shocks and struts avaliable for the allroad because their shocks are part of the airspring assembly. When converted to the A6 suspension we will have our choice of the many different struts avaliable for the A6. There will be some integration problems along the way because some of the allroad's functions (self leveling headlights for example) rely on sensors found on the factory air suspension. These sensors will be swapped over to the aftermarket suspension to prevent other systems from being affected by the install of aftermarket air.
The parts needed for the allroad to A6 suspension conversion:
2x A6 front spring caps 8D0 412 065F
4x M8x1.25 nuts and lock washers
2x A6 rear suspension mounts 8E0 512 149H
2x A6 rear spring caps 8D0 412 065F
2x A6 rear bumpstops 4B0 512 131L
Struts we plan to use:
Koni Sport Front's: Manufacturer Part #: 82-2488SPORT
Koni Sport Rears: Manufacturer Part #: 82-2465SPORT
Bags we plan to use:
Universal Air Suspension Aerosports all around (4-9.25")
For now we have decided to play with the stock air suspension until our parts are ordered in the next few months. So we plugged in the vagcom and began to play.....the procedure we performed is called the "402 mod" because the height from center of wheel to the top of the fender on a stock allroad in level 2 is 402mm. This is actually a calibration procedure used by audi to reset to vehicle to factory ride height after an airspring replacement. More info can be found on allroadfaq.com. We lowered our vehicle 25mm....and here are the results:

Tuckin 16's next to a dodge magnum:

This is going to be a slow build...so don't expect to see it finished within a month or even 6 months...It's a project that I wanted to document every step of the way.

Modified by diive4sho at 12:47 PM 2-6-2008

·
Registered
16,388 Posts
Re: Converting an audi allroad from factory air to aftermarket (diive4sho)

looks like quite an undertaking, but should have awesome results. definitely keep us updated on it. and good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
18,666 Posts
Re: Converting an audi allroad from factory air to aftermarket (dashrendar)

It's about time! Can't wait to see updates on this.
Also, do you have any pics of the Allroad suspension? I feel like there's an easier way to do it than converting to an A6 suspension...

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

To clarify I will be converting my upper and lower mounts to accept A6 suspension....same way the car would be if it were not an allroad...
Also I plan to use the oem air suspension controll buttons for full raise and pancake..just incase I'm driving down the road and need to raise it up fast to avoid road debris...the factory buttong will be more accessable than the switchbox I will have in my armrest......there are two buttons....

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

Quote, originally posted by diive4sho »
To clarify I will be converting my upper and lower mounts to accept A6 suspension....same way the car would be if it were not an allroad...
Also I plan to use the oem air suspension controll buttons for full raise and pancake..just incase I'm driving down the road and need to raise it up fast to avoid road debris...the factory buttong will be more accessable than the switchbox I will have in my armrest......there are two buttons....

Post some pics of the buttons, and suspension. This is very interesting. People ask me every day how to use there factory air ride.
We usually rip it all out and start fresh.
I will follow this build for sure. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
18,666 Posts

there are some good pics in this install guide:
coilover conversion

The front suspension on the A6 is almost identical to the front suspension on my car. Keep an eye on my thread because I'm going to be re-doing my front suspension this weekend and the things I'm doing and the reasons I'm doing it will be important for you to take note of. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Converting an audi allroad from factory air to aftermarket ([email protected])

I'll take pictures of my actual suspension sometime this weekend
A diagram of the factory air

The dash buttons are one for up and one for down....there are four levels that allroads can be at...level one is the lowest and 4 is the highest....inbetween the buttons is a indicator to tell you which level you are in and whether or not you have the suspension in manual mode. Manual mode allows the driver to lock the vehicle in one setting, otherwise the faster you go the lowert he vechicle goes, level one is activated at 75mph just for referance.
I'll take pics of the buttons later
thanks for the support so far guys.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Converting an audi allroad from factory air to aftermarket (Capt. Obvious)

Quote, originally posted by Capt. Obvious »

The front suspension on the A6 is almost identical to the front suspension on my car. Keep an eye on my thread because I'm going to be re-doing my front suspension this weekend and the things I'm doing and the reasons I'm doing it will be important for you to take note of. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I noticed that while I was reading your build thread....
Why are you changing the front?? camber issues? forks too long??

·
Registered
18,666 Posts

I noticed that while I was reading your build thread....
Why are you changing the front?? camber issues? forks too long??

Forks are too long and the bags are rubbing on the upper control arm bolts when fully deflated.

·
Registered
18,666 Posts

I plan on using the single bellow bags instead of the double bellows that you have...she's gonna sit LOW

You can still use the double bellow bags and have nothing but room. We're limited not by the suspension itself, but by the rest of the car around it.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (71DubBugBug)

thank you

The buttons I was refering to.....one will be "all up" and the other will be "all down"

They are close to the steering wheel so they will be within reach at all times...for example when I encounter road debris or when I'm sittin at a light next to a mini truck hittin his switches...I can hit my switch all sly and stuff and they'll go

Modified by diive4sho at 7:43 PM 2-8-2008

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
Darrick pointed me to this thread.... coincidentally i have an allroad and was asking him about swapping to aftermarket air.
Any updates on this? I too was wondering why exactly you would have to put standard A6 suspension in to add bags? I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. Have you made any progress?

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (BabyFoodYellowGTI)

Unless you can find some koni's that are made for an allroad you HAVE to go with A6 avant suspension...

As you know the allroad came with factory air so there are no aftermarket struts made for them....(I know I know 2bennett but I want more options)....but there are struts made for the C5A6 avant chasis so that's what I'll be using.....I am goign to use the coilover conversion DIY's as a guide but I'm most likely going to have to come up with some of my own mounts and such to get this all to work.
UPDATES:
Nothing really....I bought a mk2 on the cheap ($200) for a daily when the AR goes under the knife and I'm trying to get it road worthy, So not much has been done to the AR yet....plan to start really getting into it in a few months. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
Re: (diive4sho)

Unless you can find some koni's that are made for an allroad you HAVE to go with A6 avant suspension...

As you know the allroad came with factory air so there are no aftermarket struts made for them....(I know I know 2bennett but I want more options)....but there are struts made for the C5A6 avant chasis so that's what I'll be using.....I am goign to use the coilover conversion DIY's as a guide but I'm most likely going to have to come up with some of my own mounts and such to get this all to work.
UPDATES:
Nothing really....I bought a mk2 on the cheap ($200) for a daily when the AR goes under the knife and I'm trying to get it road worthy, So not much has been done to the AR yet....plan to start really getting into it in a few months. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

ok well here's part two of my question - you are making air kits soon? Am i to believe that will include the custom bits for the Allroad? I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever (don't beat me up, just not my thing), so i never do the labor myself. I once attempted to change the suspension on a civic i owned ten years ago and i actually completely immobilized it. so yeah i suck at technical stuff.
Anyway my point being i would like to buy a "kit" for the allroad, but obviously there are none out there. If there are custom parts required, will you be duplicating/producing these parts? If so i am interested.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

i guess what i'm getting at is i get the A6 avant suspension (can i get the factory suspension or do i have to get a custom koni/bilstein setup? I'm not interested in performance, just reliability. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by BabyFoodYellowGTI at 2:08 AM 3-11-2008

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote, originally posted by BabyFoodYellowGTI »
making air kits soon that will include the custom bits for the Allroad
there are custom parts required will be duplicating/producing these parts

I'm not an advertiser on here...this was merely for information...but I edited some of what you already wrote and all of it is correct

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote, originally posted by BabyFoodYellowGTI »

i guess what i'm getting at is i get the A6 avant suspension (can i get the factory suspension or do i have to get a custom koni/bilstein setup? I'm not interested in performance, just reliability. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by BabyFoodYellowGTI at 2:08 AM 3-11-2008

you could go with the factory a6 suspension but then the allroad would lose it's charm...an aftermarket air suspension kit will be more reliable than the factory system and the ar won't lose it's charm.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
Re: (diive4sho)

I'm not an advertiser on here...this was merely for information...but I edited some of what you already wrote and all of it is correct

outstanding!

you could go with the factory a6 suspension but then the allroad would lose it's charm...an aftermarket air suspension kit will be more reliable than the factory system and the ar won't lose it's charm.

how would factory A6 avant suspension with an aftermarket airbag setup not have "charm"?

i'm just talking about saving money... obviously don't buy the ferrari if you're not going to go fast, you know? i want quality, but don't need the extra features i'm not going to use. i won't be autocrossing this thing....

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.