VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please provide the coolant fan shroud removal procedure for the replacing the alternator. it is defined as Rep,Gr.19 as shown in the attached jpeg. I plan to download all the factory manuals, but haven't gotten to that yet. Apparently you have to do this to get the alternator out. Actually I didn't remove the shroud getting it out, but I don't want to put stress on the intake manifold again when I put the new one in. tight squeeze between the compressor lines and the intake.

I am amazed at how difficult it is to replace the alternator, but I still love my MK7 GTI.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this is my first post on this forum. I was on Fred's TDIclub.com for years, with my 2001 MK4 Jetta Diesel.

My new 2017 GTI at 120,000 has not needed attention until now. I still call it new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks DasDain. Your post helps me to verify what I thought. Removing the fan shroud involves a lot of work. i am going to try a work around where i file down some of the shroud to provide additional clearance for one of the compressor hoses.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
815 Posts
It looks like a lot but its really about 10-15 minutes or so. I would recommend going this route. Nothing worse than trying to sneak it and getting it jammed up against something you eventually have no choice but to pull out. I have been there before. Sometimes it is easier to just do it the right way. My $.02

·
Registered
440 Posts
That diagram is wrong.... or at least I think it is. mk7 golf has a single rad fan, not dual? You can remove the upper rad trims which are part of your air filter intake tubing, T20 or T25 screw driver will do. after that it unclips and removes out of the way. Yes the rad fan shroud should be on clips, these may be a little hard to see, but you will have 2 sliders at the bottom, no worries about those, but the upper sliders will clip into the rad, carefully jam a flat head screw driver in each to release and pull the rad shroud up. Disconnect everything needed of course, you can also spray WD40 into the clips and make them easier to move.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts