VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i dont know really how to put this but my coolant housing on my 2.0 8v golf it has three ports with two hoses going to it then the other port has a red cap on it the third port is the closest one to the firewall the red cap blew off and squirted coolant everywhere i have no clue why there was a red cap on the port ?????? should the hoses that are coming from the fire wall both go to the housing or one to the engine and other one to the metal pipe??????

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
There are two different coolant flanges. The one for automatic transmission cars has more ports because it feeds the transmission cooler. Someone could have installed the coolant flange in from a automatic transmission car in a manual transmission car, leaving an extra port.

If you have three ports on your coolant flange, then you have a manual transmission coolant flange. If the port facing the rear was plugged, then the heatercore was bypassed. Your heater is not working is it? That's going to tell you that the heatercore was blown, and a Previous Owner had the heater core bypassed, and the hoses to it plugged (the red cap?).

A new heatercore only costs $30-$40. Installing it takes 4-8 hours, depending on how many you've done before.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts