VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I go to start my car and get a "STOP," "low coolant!" message on my display. I stop the car and pop the hood to find the coolant level 2 inches below the low line. It was Saturday afternoon, so I drove to my nearest dealership to have it topped off and schedule an appt. Well, I got it pressure tested for leaks yesterday, and resulted in no leaks from the pressure test. There has been no visible coolant drips, leaks, spills, or puddles on the ground wherever I go. Plus I park in a garage, so I would notice. The dealership said that slight coolant loss is normal wear and tear. Anyone else lose coolant slightly with time? Is this truly normal? I have a little over 15,000 miles on her btw.

· Registered
2,469 Posts
Re: coolant loss or leak (volkan_04GLI)

well i have slightly over 21000 miles on my gli and have had no similar coolant loss issues. The only time that coolant should be lost is when it overheats causing it to come out the overflow. but i'm not sure if this applies to us since i'm not that familiar with the cooling systems on our cars. so if this is the case for our cars you shouldn't really be loosing any coolant. the only other times i've heard of mysterious coolant loss is due to coolant migration up wires (which should not really be noticable to the eye) and a blown head gasket type deal which is related to overheating. i hope this helps somewhat

· Registered
2,469 Posts
Re: (volkan_04GLI)

I doubt coolant migration would show up on a pressure test. Coolant migration is when coolant sometimes travels up wiring. Most of the time you won't know you have it till you start having electical malfunctions. Also since the space inside the wiring is so small I doubt you will be able to tell a drop in coolant level if it has occured.

· Registered
1,519 Posts
Re: (Dub Ken)

To check for coolant migration, pull the connector off from the coolant bottle and look for residue in the connector and the receptacle on the bottle. I would think you would see something in there if you had that problem.

· Registered
316 Posts
Re: coolant loss or leak (volkan_04GLI)

I had the same problem....I just filled it up and checked for leaks. No leaks that I could find and the light has never came back. This was about a month ago and no problems. I think it just escapes as steam....especially during the summer months when the cars coolant system is under the most stress.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.