VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when my car heats up it shoots coolant out of the overflow in the reservoir, i thought it was the thermostat so i changed that. ran great that night till it did it again the next day. there is a brand new radiator, i tested the reservoir for cracks and there isnt any. could it be my water pump? if it was, wouldnt it make some sort of noise?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Re: coolant shooting out of overflow.... (86gtipos)

u did not mention your cooling fans, but i am assuming they work, right?
and yes, a faulty water-pump makes noise in most cases, i think. maybe there's air in your cooling system? i dunno..... free bump.....

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: coolant shooting out of overflow.... (rcb120370)

the fans do turn on but they seem alittle strange, they turn on some times and other times when i think they should be on they are not.
and the car isnt running that hot (probally due to the fact of how cold is out) when i drive to work the temp gauge is usually right in the middle (195)......

Modified by 86gtipos at 6:03 PM 2-12-2004

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: coolant shooting out of overflow.... (Evolution Marine)

i was also thinking of that, but wouldnt i have water in my oil? my friend has one of those testers to check to see if it is blown headgasket but he hasnt been around... is there any way i could tell if it is that?

·
Registered
735 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 86gtipos »
i was also thinking of that, but wouldnt i have water in my oil? my friend has one of those testers to check to see if it is blown headgasket but he hasnt been around... is there any way i could tell if it is that?

Yes, you can check if there are bubbles in the expansion vase when you riv the engine a bit.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: coolant shooting out of overflow.... (MarcoVR6SC)

something tells me i am going to be doing a head gasket this weekend......

·
Forum Elder
14,567 Posts

Replace the oring on the reservoir cap, it might not be holding pressure.

·
Registered
12,784 Posts
Re: coolant shooting out of overflow.... (SLC4EVER)

Quote, originally posted by SLC4EVER »
Replace the oring on the reservoir cap, it might not be holding pressure.

my motor was doing the SAMMMEE thing.
Saved me a headache. I thought it was the HG...BOY was i relieved when i slapped on the 70 cent o-ring and the problem went away. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Re: coolant shooting out of overflow.... (VRpoweredA2)

i am going to go to the dealer tommorrow, hopefully this works.... if this is the deal, i owe you guys a beer at waterfest....

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Re: coolant shooting out of overflow.... (JoeM29)

150 % the cap is leaking, it happends often...
if it was a HG, you would have a bigger problem then overflowing coolant to the res. on that note, i have never heard of an overflowing res, being a symthom of a HG. it doesnt make sense.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Re: coolant shooting out of overflow.... (dancdas)

Quote, originally posted by dancdas »
150 % the cap is leaking, it happends often...
if it was a HG, you would have a bigger problem then overflowing coolant to the res. on that note, i have never heard of an overflowing res, being a symthom of a HG. it doesnt make sense.

It sure make sense, when the HG is blown, you can have compression from the piston going in the coolant circuit, driving the pressure up in that same coolant circuit. That’s why I asked if he had some bubbles in the expansion vase.
It is possible that it is the o-ring from the reservoir cap, but if there are bubbles, it’s the head gasket. Don’t forget you can have a little leak from the HG and still drive 1000 or more miles without any trouble, but sooner or later it will blow completely.

·
Registered
977 Posts

dancdas - Think of it this way. A portion of the combustion pressure leaks into the cooling system, builds up more pressure than the cooling system was designed to hold and overcomes the overflow valve and releases coolant thru the overflow tube.
- Bob

·
Registered
27,736 Posts
Re: coolant shooting out of overflow.... (Evolution Marine)

I have the same issue. No oil in the coolant, but it will overflow if you open the cap. I am also blowing hoses. I have the standard weeping on the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Re: coolant shooting out of overflow.... (vdubjb)

so after you guys said something about the o-ring i went outside and couldnt find it, so i called the dealer today and was asking about it and he said that they didnt have the o-ring in stock and he would have to order it, but he had a cap if i wanted that (for 18 bucks) so i asked him does that come with the o-ring and he said the o-ring isnt on the outside of the cap it is on the inside part of the cap. just got home and checked my cap..... sure enough there is no o-ring there, but i see where is supposed to go. thanks alot guys, i owe you one......

·
Forum Elder
14,567 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,459 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JoeM29 »
so after you guys said something about the o-ring i went outside and couldnt find it, so i called the dealer today and was asking about it and he said that they didnt have the o-ring in stock and he would have to order it, but he had a cap if i wanted that (for 18 bucks) so i asked him does that come with the o-ring and he said the o-ring isnt on the outside of the cap it is on the inside part of the cap. just got home and checked my cap..... sure enough there is no o-ring there, but i see where is supposed to go. thanks alot guys, i owe you one......

Bro..I had the same problem. I bought a brand new cap from germanautoparts.com. I never knew they sold the o-ring seperatly?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Re: coolant shooting out of overflow.... (MigAce312)

yeah i know about the bubbles, but there has to be alot of compression to make it leak outta the res.
surely enough it was the o-ring.
haha you guys just scared the poor guy.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote, originally posted by dancdas »
yeah i know about the bubbles, but there has to be alot of compression to make it leak outta the res.
surely enough it was the o-ring.
haha you guys just scared the poor guy.

wasnt really scraed just pissed cause it was going to force me to cams sooner...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts