VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SOLVED : Coolant Temp Gauge Not Working.

Hey y'all I am trying to narrow down the non working gauge. I changed all the sensors in the thermostat housing. When you start the car, the needle goes up to 180/200 automatically. Anything else I can check/replace ?

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
if you replaced the yellow sensor in the thermo housing and the gauge is still going there, it could be the cluster itself. the yellow sensor is the only thing that controls that gauge.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Finally got off my ass and swapped the entire cluster. Same problem, all new sensors in the galley. Should I try the low coolant sensor relay?
Is your engine OBD 1 or OBD 2?
If it's OBD 2 try scanning the ECU for DTC's and see what you get.
If it's OBD 1 then you need to take it back to the drawing board. Check your sensors and wiring to the sensors.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OBD I. I wonder if it's the low coolant relay. The gauge used to work just fine, until a hot summer day, while I was driving the temp shot up and I pulled over to make sure it wasn't overheating. It wasn't, even vagcom confirms it..

·
Banned
608 Posts
The low coolant relay could be a culprit. If you can test it do that. If not recheck your wiring looms for the coolant temp sensors. Make sure the wires are good in the plugs.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, turns out that i had the Rear Wiper relay in the Low Coolant relay spot. Gauge works fine now. It must have gotten kicked out at some point and I put it in the wrong spot. Next question is, do I need a low coolant relay in that spot, or is it not necessary?

·
Banned
608 Posts
So, turns out that i had the Rear Wiper relay in the Low Coolant relay spot. Gauge works fine now. It must have gotten kicked out at some point and I put it in the wrong spot. Next question is, do I need a low coolant relay in that spot, or is it not necessary?
Glad your issue was solved. The low coolant relay is important to have because it triggers off a warning light in your instrument cluster when you're low on coolant. Without it you wouldn't know until it's too late. Get the low coolant relay and install it.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
This is what I dislike about the Fusebox
Older VW'S were configured so that one could not put the wrong relay in the improper location.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.