VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a DTC that had "Coolant Temperature Sensor " in it. I've done a little research and it appears that this sensor is prob bad. My questions is: Is this a DIY job? and how bad is it to run the car like this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Re: Coolant Temperature Sensor? (VgRt6)

It is a DIY job....... but..
It is a pain in the a$$. Even after taking all sorts of crap apart you'll still have trouble getting to things(not a lot of room in a vr6 engine bay). I've given this advice to others, get yourself a few extra clips from the dealer. The ones that hold the sensor in place... You will break them. Also there is a metal bracket right next to the sensor.. Loosen it a bit, but don't remove 'cause it's a real pain to get back on.
Also no real need to drain your coolant if you have thick fingers and are pretty quick in replacing the sensor with the new one. just top her off.

· Registered
1,287 Posts
Re: Coolant Temperature Sensor? (gtiglxvr62000)

make sure your car has been turned off at least 4 hrs. i had my car off for about 2.5 hrs and the coolant was still hot. i burned my hands/finger with the coolant. so make sure your car is cold before changing the sensor.
also, how long haven't you changed your coolant? If you've never, this is a good time to flush your system and refill with new coolant. After you pull the old sensor out, just let the old coolant gush out.
It's better for the system. all you need is coolant from the dealer, clips and a sensor with an O-ring.
if you have any questions, you can IM me. I just changed it last week so everything is still fresh in my mind.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
Re: Coolant Temperature Sensor? (doN_R6)

Quote, originally posted by doN_R6 »
After you pull the old sensor out, just let the old coolant gush out.

all of the coolant will not run out by pulling sensor..... best way to drain the system, is to pull lower rad hose.

· Registered
14,364 Posts
Re: Coolant Temperature Sensor? (evoljetta.)

Quote, originally posted by evoljetta. »
Anyone know how bad it is for the car to run on a bad sensor?

sensor will send wrong info to ECU so engine my run reach or lean which is bad.
running reach may destroy cat

· Registered
16,210 Posts
Re: Coolant Temperature Sensor? (rcb120370)

Quote, originally posted by rcb120370 »

all of the coolant will not run out by pulling sensor..... best way to drain the system, is to pull lower rad hose.

You don't have to pull the lower radiator hose on a MKIV. There is a drain valve on the lower right hand corner of the radiator near the lower hose. Turn it 45° CCW and pull out and all of the coolant except for what's in the block and heater core will drain out. Open the cap on the expansion tank to speed up the draining process.
Putting the coolant back in on a VR6 is really easy. First, make sure the drain valve is fully shut. You should feel it click shut when you turn it 45° CW. Next, pour coolant into the expansion tank until it's full. Then, turn the ignition on but don't start the engine. This will activate the aux. coolant pump which will circulate the coolant and drain the expansion tank. Continue to fill the exp. tank as it drains until all of the coolant is in. The whole filling process takes about 2-3 minutes max.

· Registered
16,210 Posts

Quote, originally posted by gtiglxvr62000 »
Don't forget the distilled water... I think it's a 50:50 ratio with the coolant....

That's correct. I was assuming whatever was drained was what would be going back in.

· Registered
1,134 Posts

Quote, originally posted by gtiglxvr62000 »
It is a DIY job....... but..
It is a pain in the a$$. Even after taking all sorts of crap apart you'll still have trouble getting to things(not a lot of room in a vr6 engine bay). I've given this advice to others, get yourself a few extra clips from the dealer. The ones that hold the sensor in place... You will break them. Also there is a metal bracket right next to the sensor.. Loosen it a bit, but don't remove 'cause it's a real pain to get back on.
Also no real need to drain your coolant if you have thick fingers and are pretty quick in replacing the sensor with the new one. just top her off.

Dead on advice. Go here http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=828837

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.