VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my coolant pump on my 16v B3, and I need help. I didnt think it was gonna be to difficult, but it turned out to be a pain in the azz. What is the best way to get to it? From the top, underneath or wheelwell, My bentley book doesnt help out too much on this. I have been trying to go from the top removing the air box, Alternator, and have a hell of a time removing the A/C compressor. Do I need to remove the A/C? As you can see I need all the help I can get. I am running out of knuckles, and this gash on my pinky looks like it could use a stitch or two. Thanks in advance for all the help.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Re: Coolant (water) Pump removal. HELP!!! (B3DRIVERA4DREAMER)

When I did it I had to replace the bolts that hold the pump housing to the bold because they had snapped. So, yes I had to remove the altenator, ac compressor, and I think the power steering pump. If you're just replacing the pump and not the housing I'm not sure if you need to remove everything. You may be able to unbolt the pump from the housing, but I'm too sure that'll work. Its been a few months since I was in there and can't remember exactly how much room there is (I think I'm subconsciously blocking it from memory). Assuming that there isn't room then you need to unbolt the two pivot bolts, which are allen head near the block (one of em is hard to get to
) Then you need to unbolt it from the adjustment fork thing that sticks up and you should be able to swing it out of the way.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Coolant (BVibert)

Thanks alot. At least I know I have been digging in the right direction. But the bolts on that A/C compressor are freakin tight. But thanks again, I was getting worried I wasted all that time removing parts for nothing.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Re: Coolant (B3DRIVERA4DREAMER)

While I have not done a b3 passat 16 v I have done 88 and 16v jettas. Yes the job is a pain in the a...., I never nneeded to r/ac compressor. Snapping bolts are bad, what you need to do is strike them in the head with hammer (brass is best) or use a n impact wrench at ultra low air pressure, not enought to break loose, just need to bang them. I am consentrating on pump bolts, take your time here, tap them son't apply too much pressure when you try to loosen bolt! tap..tap..tap then try to loosen.
I also needed to remove the tin backing plate that covered one of the bolts, you will know what I mean when you hget to it.
SO replace all belts including timing belt..have fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.