VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I’ve noticed my cooling fans stay on longer then they should. They turn on as soon as the car starts and stay on til I turn the car off. Not sure what it could be. Car is not over heating. I’ve read some where that the fans are on a fail safe mode. So wonder if a relay is out? Not sure. Please give me some feedback. No codes for this either coming up. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
Normally if the fans start up when you start the car and continue to run until turning of the car is that the ECU does not see a temp sensor and just runs the fans to play safe. Have a scan tool that can see both coolant temps from a cold start and running and if the temps make sense. Perhaps take a look at the temp sensor connectors.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Normally if the fans start up when you start the car and continue to run until turning of the car is that the ECU does not see a temp sensor and just runs the fans to play safe. Have a scan tool that can see both coolant temps from a cold start and running and if the temps make sense. Perhaps take a look at the temp sensor connectors.
Thanks. Yeah I pulled the temp sensor out and the connections look fine.

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
You say both? I checked the one on the drivers side on the lower part of the radiator. Connection looks fine. Got coolant everywhere to check the inside plug. Which looks fine to me.
You looked at the G83 temp sensor which is on the lower hose by radiator, the other G62 is the coolant temp coming out of the engine that on is here with the red arrow no need to remove it just see that the wiring is connected and not damaged. With a scan tool that can see what the sensor shows and does the reading make sense from a cold start to fully warmed up.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Car

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You looked at the G83 temp sensor which is on the lower hose by radiator, the other G62 is the coolant temp coming out of the engine that on is here with the red arrow no need to remove it just see that the wiring is connected and not damaged. With a scan tool that can see that sensor does the reading make sense from a cold start to fully warmed up.

View attachment 150280
Ok thanks I’ll look. The temp readings seem normal. Atleast from the scan tool.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What sensor was that from G62 or G83, and was it really 71F ambient temps when you started the cold engine, if so I need to move to damn cold around here lately
I don’t think my scan tool and go to each sensor. It just gives me a basic coolant temp reading. Yes 22c was the degrees. I mean give or take a little less since it ran for a few minutes before checking.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You looked at the G83 temp sensor which is on the lower hose by radiator, the other G62 is the coolant temp coming out of the engine that on is here with the red arrow no need to remove it just see that the wiring is connected and not damaged. With a scan tool that can see that sensor does the reading make sense from a cold start to fully warmed up.

View attachment 150280
Can’t find this on my car. Is it in the passenger side or drivers side?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes coolant comes out when you remove either sensor.
So poorly designed. So now I’ll have to drain the whole cooling system again just to check a sensor that I don’t even know if that’s the problem. Worse thing is I’m not sure how to tell if it’s bad or not. The bottom sensor has only a brass tip and I looked fine. I’m assuming it’s the same with the top? If so what’s the point? Also looks like the wires run deep into a harness so how would you even replace the thing?

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
So poorly designed. So now I’ll have to drain the whole cooling system again just to check a sensor that I don’t even know if that’s the problem. Worse thing is I’m not sure how to tell if it’s bad or not. The bottom sensor has only a brass tip and I looked fine. I’m assuming it’s the same with the top? If so what’s the point? Also looks like the wires run deep into a harness so how would you even replace the thing?
Just look at the connector plug to sensor is it attached is the wiring in good shape, no need to be pull the sensor out unless you are going to replace it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just look at the connector plug to sensor is it attached is the wiring in good shape, no need to be pull the sensor out unless you are going to replace it.
Ok I can confirm both the lower and higher temp sensor plugs(wires) are in good shape. Now what? Fan relay? Something is throwing the fans in a safe mode

1 - 20 of 33 Posts