VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have you thought of or actually removed the under-hood blanket to improve cooling instead of trapping the heat in....my fan will always runs due to the VR6 or so...what do you guys think...keep it or remove it...??

·
Registered
834 Posts
Re: Cooling systems...Those who live in hot states... (HYE-TEK)

Keep it...its there for a reason..... Fire proofing, and sound deadening....there is really no need to change this, the VR6 is designed to run hot, and those cooling fans are designed to run that often.......nuff said
peace

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It's designed very well for cold climate, but for extremly hot states 80-90F all year long seems to encapsulate the extreme heat...had my fan running for over 5 minutes on my drive way while 82F outside....the thickness of the material seems like overkill for the heat... what are your view??

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Cooling systems...Those who live in hot states... (I_Fly_GTi)

There are a few pics out there with hoods without the insulation...was your decision for show purpose...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

There is the concept of a low temp thermostat. I got one from part4vws.com but havent installed it yet...

·
James Steed
12,133 Posts
Re: Cooling systems...Those who live in hot states... (anthony_g)

The insulation removal is not going to help. Leave it where it is.
Your fan running isn't hurting anything it's supposed to run for cooling after you turn your car off.
You also have an auxilary water pump that runs too.
It's no big deal.
Plus 82 degrees is nothing.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re: Cooling systems...Those who live in hot states... (EPilot)

Removing it could make it worst. The insulation helps keep heat from the hood out. Direct sunlight will bake your hood and the insulation will help that part. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

If you want to reduce your water temp, run synthetic oil. It will dissipate the engine heat better than conventional oil. This will reduce your water temp, which, in turn, makes life easier for your entire cooling system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts