VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an idiot: wrong tires

Edit: Deleted post.
Don't mind me, just thought that I'd ordered the wrong size tire for my wife's Passat for a minute.
Need more coffee ...
Bill, you can delete this topic, if you want. Or your can leave it here, so that everyone can agree that I'm an idiot.

[Modified by Cooper, 4:42 AM 11-29-2001]

·
I could've been a contender.
41,106 Posts
Re: I'm an idiot: wrong tires (Cooper)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Bill, you can delete this topic, if you want. Or your can leave it here, so that everyone can agree that I'm an idiot.
[HR][/HR]​
and what do you think i'll do
? TTT!!!!
bill

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Re: I'm an idiot: wrong tires (jebglx)

Bill... are you telling us that Cooper's an idiot???? bahahahaha!!!

I'll get my passat on coilovers, raise it 6" and put on some 18" wheels with SUV tires for the winter....

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Re: I'm an idiot: wrong tires (DeLTA_SHocK)

That's cheating. I've heard it was a Jeep (or Bronco?) chassis with a Rabbit shell dropped on top.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Re: I'm an idiot: wrong tires (v b chil-n)

You are not an idiot Cooper
not at all

Just dont tell me you bought the same good years that come stock.

·
Registered
27,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: I'm an idiot: wrong tires (phatgolf)

Hi! How you doin'?
O.k., let me stop for a minute and put on my flame suit.
Yes, I bought the stock Eagle GAs. I am pleased with getting 42,000+ miles per set, and I think they're o.k. for the winters here.
I drive a lot, and the 215/50 size is expensive (I know, I could godown to 195s). So, I want something with good mileage. What sort of mileage have people been getting out the the Dunlops?

·
41,106 Posts

dunlops sp5000(?)
so far 25,xxx & tread still is like new...of course, my wife is driving it
!
bill

·
Registered
49 Posts

I hope you're not an idiot! because I bought Eagles last year for my wagon -
they did all right here in PA too

so far they have about 30,000 miles on them...12,000 more would be good - they are pricey

·
41,106 Posts
Re: I'm an idiot: wrong tires (Donna)

quote:[HR][/HR]and I suppose she drives like a "girrl"????
[HR][/HR]​
well, let's just say that the wagon has not seen the other side of 3000 rpms in awhile
!
bill

·
Registered
27,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: I'm an idiot: wrong tires (Donna)

As mentioned, I've averaged 42,000 miles per set on the Eagle GAs.
I had three sets on my wagon at 118,000 miles. The last set needed replacement (that's when Phatgolf put on the Dunlops). So that's just under 40,000 miles.
But, my wife's first two sets lasted a total of 94,000 miles. So, that's 47,000 miles per set.
I would even have kept the last set on for a couple of more months if it was my car. I just replaced them as winter is coming. At least I think winter is coming. Supposed to maybe hit 70 here tomorrow. Really glad I'm going to pick up my new skis this morning.

·
Registered
537 Posts

Sp5000 Rule

no flame suit needed
at all cooper.
By the way the Passat just hit 133500 still running strong

·
Registered
223 Posts

Coop, the Eagle GA's do last. But the set that came on our 93 GLX had the worst wet weather behavior I have ever seen in a "performance" tire, and, no, they weren't worn down. Any standing water on the roads, and they hydroplaned like mad!
Switched to Dunlop 4000's and immediately saw a tremendous improvement. When those wore out at about 40K, switched to the Dunlop 5000's, and couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
27,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: I'm an idiot: wrong tires (hiram6)

I really do wish that we start a new topic if we're going to discuss the merits of different tires, rather than keeping the one titled "I'm an idiot" alive.

·
41,106 Posts

better
?
bill

·
Registered
27,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: I'm an idiot: wrong tires (jebglx)

Hmm, not quite the change I had in mind.

But, this will probably prove I am an idiot, confirming the original title.
I ordered a set of 215/50-15s for my wife's car without checking the size. After all, we had two '97 GLXs, and this is the 4th set I've ordered total, so I should know what it is.
I got the tires put on. I keep an MS Word document of the work on the cars (Phatgolf will attest to this. I also keep one for every tank of gas. Kinda anal, I know. But, I'm a scientist. We like data. 99% of the data we gather is generally useless or meaningless, but we like data nonetheless.).
I went to cut and paste the line from the last set of tires which was two years ago. The line said 215/55s, so I was convinced that this was now the correct size that I should have ordered, rather than the 50s I got. I finally got off my butt to check the correct size, but I had already posted.
By the way, why does VW always go for the bizzare size? Nothing was worse than the 205/55-14s on my '87 GTi. Last time I checked, I don't think you can even get that size any more, unless you want a race tire.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts