VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was cruising up the 400 mid-morning, just south of Molson Park, the third car in a line of four vehicles all traveling at the same speed. I figured we were probably all doing 130km/h or so in the rightmost lane.
Our "pack" was together for at least 20-30km when we passed an OPP cruiser sitting on the side of the road. The two cars in front of me (stock A4, Jetta) didn't slow down, and neither did the car behind me (some Kia), so I figured I was safe and didn't touch my brake either.
OPP lights up his cherries. The Kia behind me yields, and the cruiser is now riding my ass. I'm thinking he wants the lead car now, so I yield. What do you know? I get ticketed for 133. No slack, nothing. In fact, I didn't even say a single word in our entire 5 minute encounter.
I figured I got singled out because my ride is quite obviously "modified" (lowered, big wheels) but I really don't have anything illegal (no dark tint, fart can exhaust, Altezzas, etc.) What other explanation is there?

Damn cops.

·
Banned
5,712 Posts
Re: Cops targeting modified cars? Hell yeah. (dmc)

Let me get this right......
You were speeding and passed the police.....right?
You got pulled over.....and then ticketed for speeding....right?
Ummmm.....
whats the problem here?
I doesn't matter if you were driving a ferrari or a hyuckdia....you were speeding!!!!!!
You play....you pay!
I didn't like it when I got pulled over when I got a speeding ticket....but I realized I broke the law...and got caught. I didn't whine and blame it on how modified my car was....I was speeding and got caught....end of story!

Modified by icuravwnut2 at 2:46 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Cops targeting modified cars? Hell yeah. (icuravwnut2)

Sigh. I am not contesting the fact that I was breaking the law, that fact has clearly been established.
I guess you missed my point.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Re: Cops targeting modified cars? Hell yeah. (icuravwnut2)

Quote, originally posted by icuravwnut2 »
I doesn't matter if you were driving a ferrari or a hyuckdia....you were speeding!!!!!!
You play....you pay!

True, but so were the other three cars he was travelling with. Why didn't they get pulled over?

·
Banned
5,712 Posts
Re: Cops targeting modified cars? Hell yeah. (rabbitmania)

Quote, originally posted by rabbitmania »

True, but so were the other three cars he was travelling with. Why didn't they get pulled over?

Now that does suck! Although on a cruise, i've seen two cars pulled over at once....never three though.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Cops targeting modified cars? Hell yeah. (rabbitmania)

Quote, originally posted by rabbitmania »

That's exactly my point. I can understand pulling over the lead car in a "pack", and even pulling over the last car. But I was right smack in the middle of it all.
Furthermore, as anyone who regularly drives the 400, 130km/h is FAR from fast for that highway...
I suspect that I would've had the same treatment had I been in my GTI or a bright red Ferrari. A navy blue Dodge Caravan? Cop probably wouldn't have even given me a second look.
I'm sure I can at least plead this down to a 15-and-under, but taking that day off work and driving up to Barrie is a royal pain in the arse.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Re: Cops targeting modified cars? Hell yeah. (dmc)

post a pic of the car.....
dont worry bro, i am with you, just got booked this weekend for the stupidist ticket possible, and of course he asked about mods i did to my car........

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
Re: (bella*is*dubbin')

Hint: If you were in the middle of a group, how was the speed of YOUR vehicle established?
Not the vehicle in front ... not the vehicle behind ... not some other vehicle that was "visibly travelling the same speed" ... how was the speed of YOUR vehicle established?
You might want to think about that one for a wee bit, and then have a discussion with someone about it.
P.S. If you saw the cop and KEPT ON driving 130+ km/h ... sorry buddy, you're on your own.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (GoFaster)

Quote, originally posted by GoFaster »
Hint: If you were in the middle of a group, how was the speed of YOUR vehicle established?

I was thinking the same thing. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif And to the courtroom I'll go... If I can work a no-points plea bargain, I'll be happy, but we'll see where I can go with this when I get full disclosure...
Oh, and I might add, the officer was not using laser. I'm almost certain that he used a traditional radar gun. Are those radar guns accurate enough in their beam pattern to pick out individual cars traveling in groups?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Re: (dmc)

Quote, originally posted by dmc »

I was thinking the same thing. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif And to the courtroom I'll go... If I can work a no-points plea bargain, I'll be happy, but we'll see where I can go with this when I get full disclosure...
Oh, and I might add, the officer was not using laser. I'm almost certain that he used a traditional radar gun. Are those radar guns accurate enough in their beam pattern to pick out individual cars traveling in groups?

they don't need to be accurate for the group. You aim the gun at the group of cars and just a little movement back and forth will give you the average of all moving cars in that zone. You were car number 2 right, in the middle? And all he needs do is get the speed of number 1. Since you were not faster than number 1 you are the same speed.
Besides best you can hope for is thy allow you to pay the fine and no points. It was all over the news about the police all over the place so I would think you would have been on the lookout.
Good luck

·
Banned
304 Posts
ok dude you were actually following the rules, you were keeping the flow of traffic being the third car you were going with how traffic was flowing. You could of been doing 180kmh in a pack of 4 and youd still be going with the flow of traffic.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Re: (sogaduch)

Quote, originally posted by sogaduch »
ok dude you were actually following the rules, you were keeping the flow of traffic being the third car you were going with how traffic was flowing. You could of been doing 180kmh in a pack of 4 and youd still be going with the flow of traffic.

That would be right if it was a single lane.. he could have always gone into the " slow lane " but I take it was the 400 right?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Re: (Georg)

Your car just looked faster.(I'm sorry)
Did the cop establish 'your' speed by pacing you?

·
Banned
304 Posts
Re: (Georg)

ahhh i forgot about that, but he didnt specify which lane he was in so he could have been in the middle lane which I consider the driving lane and the far lane being the passing lane and the other lane to the right being the lane where ppl use it to get off the hwy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts