VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, reading vwbora1's post which turned into a mini-discussion of changing wheels trackside, has got me wondering a few things...
First, how many of you AutoX regulars use a cordless impact gun, And which brand/voltage do you use? I saw the Chicago EPT Gun from Harbor Freight at $119 ...it is a great looking price...I had previously been eyeing the $269 Chicago Pneumatic 14.4V unit...makes more torque than I could really ever need...(I'd rather by top of the line to avoid replacing an inferior "cheap" model especially since it'll probably get a lot of use/abuse both at events and in the garage).
Second, how do you regulate setting the torque correctly while using said impact gun? Do you just get it close then use a torque wrench?
Finally, does anyone use or have experience with Torque Sticks

Beers all around

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Cordless Impact Guns and Torque? (gottagti)

The only advantage of using a cordless impact gun is the shorter time in removing and installing lug bolts or lug nuts. You need to be careful to "hand-start" the lug bolt or lug nut prior to using an impact gun.
The only way to properly torque a lug bolt or lug nut is with a good torque wrench. Regards, WWR.

·
Registered
18,206 Posts

i always use a torque wrench after the corless impact. i have the one pictured in that thread (the $200 harbor freight one) -- it works well.
i also have torque sticks, but i only ever use them with the pneumatic gun, and only ever on street cars.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Cordless Impact Guns and Torque? (John A)

Quote, originally posted by John A »
i also have torque sticks, but i only ever use them with the pneumatic gun, and only ever on street cars.

Why only on a pneumatic?
Why only on street cars?

·
Registered
18,206 Posts

Quote, originally posted by gottagti »

Why only on a pneumatic?
Why only on street cars?

because my pneumatic puts out WAY more lb/ft than my cordless. i know that if i don't go crazy with the cordless that i can check it with the torque wrench and get it to spec (or at least make sure it's that tight already)
with the pneumatic it's easy to go way past proper figures, so that's why i use the torque sticks.
the torque sticks (to me at least) get you close, but not close enough that i'd trust it when i carry a perfectly good torque wrench in my toolkit. since i frequently go over bolts to make sure they're tight (the car vibrates a lot!) i can't leave something like lugs unchecked.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Cordless Impact Guns and Torque? (John A)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Thanks again John A

·
Registered
12,147 Posts

I use my 80ft.lb torque stick with my air compressor at home, sorry i dont have input about the portable stuff.
after i use the torque stick i go over each lug with a standard tire iron to tighten em a little more
torquesticks.com is where to get them

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

I bought this one from Amazon.com/Tool Crib
"DeWalt DW053K-2 Heavy-Duty 1/2" 12-Volt Cordless Impact Wrench Kit" Tools & Hardware; $199.99"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi...&s=hi
and a set of these...

Modified by SirWillett at 4:23 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
18,206 Posts
Re: Cordless Impact Guns and Torque? (SirWillett)

yeah, 1/2" drive is KEY.
the 3/8" just doesn't cut it, at least from what I've seen.

·
Registered
254 Posts
DO NOT GET THE ON FROM HARBOR FRT FOR
119.95 !!!!!! i got one and for what we need its not worth the money...its great to put in the wifes car so she can change a tire but no tgood for the abuse we dish out....spend a little more and get a good cordless one...that dewalt looks pretty darned sweet....just my 2 cents worth....

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Re: (solonut)

I have Dewalt tools that used the same battery so it just made sense. That one above came with 2 batteries anyways so I ahve never been without power.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: (John A)

at the shop we all use makita 9.6v electrics but in a 3/8" drive.but when doing wheel lugs we use 1/2" air impacts cause you need the torque.i wouldn't trust a 3/8" electric with something that important.torque sticks are great save you time and get it to specs quick.however over time the calibration can get off and its time to get new ones.usually i would check it at least every other week to be sure its right.you have to remember this is your own car your talking about so whatever your comfortable with is fine.as for dewalt great tools haven't used their electric impact but their tools always have way more power than you'll ever need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts