VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23086 Posts

·
Registered
83,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The US is now finally taking this serious.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The 3rd case in Canada announced in my city, a Chinese University student at 25000 student campus. Some students have already stopped attending classes.

I'm not that worried, good personal hygiene and avoiding large social events for a while will hopefully be enough.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
We deal with a supplier that has in country personnel in China for QC situations. He was over in Detroit when the containment started. His home is south of were the main emergency is happening but his wife was visiting family in Hong Kong when IIRC HK closed the border with mainland China.
Story is that he requested permission to return to China and it was granted. IIRC he is flying via Delta. From what I was told; his luggage consists of lots of face masks, and lots of non perishable goods. His main worry now was how to get his wife out of HK back into China. Still this whole situation is like playing Infection or Outbreak. Someone mentioned that this was how the zombie apocalypse starts

·
Registered
2019 Arteon, 2016 .:R, 1991 Mazda B2600i
1,813 Posts
Someone mentioned that this was how the zombie apocalypse starts
I think they are mistaken, that would be 'African Rabies'. Duh.

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,494 Posts
about time.

·
Registered
29,047 Posts
No worries, I don't drink crappy lagers, I'm an ale man myself.

·
Registered
South Florida
5,039 Posts
According to the CDC website

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 19 million flu illnesses, 180,000 hospitalizations and 10,000 deaths from flu.

The latest: The coronavirus outbreak has killed at least 305 people and infected more than 14,300 globally, as it continues to spread beyond China. One person outside mainland China, a man in the Philippines, has died.

Why do we give a **** about the Coronavirus?

·
You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can
6,610 Posts

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 19 million flu illnesses, 180,000 hospitalizations and 10,000 deaths from flu.

The latest: The coronavirus outbreak has killed at least 305 people and infected more than 14,300 globally, as it continues to spread beyond China. One person outside mainland China, a man in the Philippines, has died.

The newsreaders reach for the easy story. Sensationalism sells.

Wash your hands and the healthy people will be ok. IMO, parents are most at risk during flu season because sick kids.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts

It would be a concern if one has a pre-existing medical condition such as a weaken immune system, etc. Then again one'd be at risk dying from the regular flu too.

·
Banned
13,776 Posts
I thought the president had shut down the threat. Why should we worry?

·
Banned
13,776 Posts

·
Registered
83,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I agree that the Flu should be a much bigger concern since WAY more likely in America.
I think the concerns are because we don't know how the Coronavirus is spread, and that there isn't a Coronavirus vaccine shot like the flu giving those with weaker immune systems some protection against the full bore sickness.
So yeah, it's a concern.

·
Banned
13,776 Posts
I agree that the Flu should be a much bigger concern since WAY more likely in America.
I think the concerns are because we don't know how the Coronavirus is spread, and that there isn't a Coronavirus vaccine shot like the flu giving those with weaker immune systems some protection against the full bore sickness.
So yeah, it's a concern.
That and trump has dismantled the unified government peices required for a pandemic response, that Obama created, back into disorganized islands. We are not prepared to handle a pandemic. But trump said we are safe. So no worries.

·
Registered
29,047 Posts
But trump said we are safe. So no worries.
He's going to make a vaccine. A great vaccine. The most beautiful and important vaccine that you ever saw. Sucha perfect vaccine. And China's gonna pay for it.

·
Registered
22,296 Posts
WSJ reporting NYC is up to three possible cases.

I've noticed a big uptick on the number of Asians sporting a face mask. My SO reports his fellow yellows are getting lots of suspicious looks anytime they sneeze.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Welcome to my world, we just cannot catch a break in HK, and life continues to be very weird. We still have just 15 cases in Hong Kong with most being residents or visitors of Wuhan during the outbreak time. There are acts of violence and threats of strikes to fully close the borders but they are just restricted still at this point and most of the crossings are HK residents.

I have been pretty much staying at home after returning from my last trip (not China) and washing and cleaning non-stop. There is no hand sanitizers, wipes or soap in the stores, people line up for 6 hours to buy over priced masks, which kind of defeats the purpose and the hatred and xenophobic behaviour towards the mainlanders only grows.

We are supposed to be going away this weekend so we will see how that pans out...

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,494 Posts
Number of cases doubling every 3 days? 50 million people quarantined?

iT's JuSt A cOlD bRo.

1 - 20 of 23086 Posts