VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i got a corrado a couple weeks ago, the fresh air fan wasnt working...At all speed so i started to investigate by the obvious things, i look at the fuse box and i see a 30A in the slot (which is 20A according to bentley) The fuse was blown so i got a new one (20A) and then i turn the key to ON and VOILA! the fan work!

But there come the scariest thing for a VW owner...i see smoke coming out of the front grille! :what:

I immediatly turned off the power and removed the key, i got under the hood and by turning the power on again (without fan) i pin pointed the source... Its one of the 3 sensor related to the thermostat, it the yellow one and 2 pin inside were melted. I removed the fuse for now and it seem to be alright but i need to fix that since i need defrost cause its getting cold in the morning. Thermostat was changed for a 70C, new thermostat housing too. The fan hasnt worked in a while.

I need your help fellow dubbers, any infos would be appreciated!

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
The yellow temp sensor has 2 sensors built in.

G2

The Blue/white (pin 2) wire goes to the fuse box, then onto your cluster temp gauge.
Pin 3, brown is grounded, these 2 pins make up the cluster temp gauge sender.

F87
Pin 1 (Bentley shows Brown/white) goes to pin 8 of the FCM (assuming you still have the original 8 pin FCM).
Pin 4, Brown is grounded, these 2 pins make up the the Fan control thermoswitch.

Perhaps you have a faulty FCM which are known to get water ingress. There is no way water can egress as it has no drain holes.
The UE recall replaces the early 8 pin FCM with a later model 10 pin FCM.

Main fan can fail tool, there was a recall for the fan due to faulty materials used.
This is the TJ recall.

Getting these recalls performed by a dealer is unlikely. Many have tried recently only to be denied.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The yellow temp sensor has 2 sensors built in.

G2

The Blue/white (pin 2) wire goes to the fuse box, then onto your cluster temp gauge.
Pin 3, brown is grounded, these 2 pins make up the cluster temp gauge sender.

F87
Pin 1 (Bentley shows Brown/white) goes to pin 8 of the FCM (assuming you still have the original 8 pin FCM).
Pin 4, Brown is grounded, these 2 pins make up the the Fan control thermoswitch.

Perhaps you have a faulty FCM which are known to get water ingress. There is no way water can egress as it has no drain holes.
The UE recall replaces the early 8 pin FCM with a later model 10 pin FCM.

Main fan can fail tool, there was a recall for the fan due to faulty materials used.
This is the TJ recall.

Getting these recalls performed by a dealer is unlikely. Many have tried recently only to be denied.
Thanks for your reply, i'll look it up tomorow to see which connection are burned and those should correspond to +/- of a sensor? And are those available at the dealer or any europart shop? And about the recall, well my serial doesnt correspond to vr6 so i doubt they would do anything :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so today i checked the connector to see which wire was fryed and it turn out to be both ground (pin 3/4) could it be related to a faulty main ground? I also looked in the bentley for infos on that sensor and how to change it but i was wondering if the coolant will escape when i'll remove it. Also if i have the 3rd one (brown) its for AC? but one wire is snipped out and i dont think the compressor would work anyway :/

Also can anyone help me locate the FCM?

Thanks for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts