VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are our cars sleepers? Especially stock or lightly modded visually. When people look at a supra they'll think of fast cars. When people look at a civic or integra with bodykit they think of racers. A Corrado is not a porsche, but it's not like a fast and furious kinda car either (when owner has propper taste). A Corrado is a beautiful car but it's not offensive or flashy either. So you feel like cops are not as attracted to a Corrado as if it was a supra TT, porsche, or a integra with bodykit?
Lately I've been getting cars, suv, truck, etc. coming from behind me and cutting me off. As soon as I accelerate from a stop light, some cars (i.e. Jeep) try to out-accelerate me even tho I'm not even racing.
I don't know if all these cars think my car has no balls and they wanna punk me around or what. Would they do the same to a porsche?

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
people get pretty surprised when they hear the sound that comes from my "little" vr6. The intake and exhuast make the vr6 sounds crazy

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (LordJax)

Surprise....is it because the Corrado has no reputation with the "normal" cops and "normal" peeps?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Re: Corrado = Sleeper? (87GolfKart)

i dont think the corrado could ever have a sleeper look... stock it looks mean...
ive had people not knowing what it was say wow, is that one of those import race cars ive heard about...
or wow, Jetta looks fast...
strait off the floor these cars look fast, ive had so many cars try to race me just poking around towns...i told my friends that i want to make the car a sleeper(j/k) they look at me and laugh, and say ya that car really does look slow....SO IN MY EYES this car could never have a sleeper look

·
Registered
743 Posts
Re: Corrado = Sleeper? (High_Body)

My thought on the subject is this. Since the 1960's the Volkswagen brand has been associated with the Beetle. The "cute" car that had absolutely no go, unless it was highly modded, which isn't extremely common. That reputation has caused people to basically look at any VW and just think,
awwwww, what a 'cute' car!"
With that in mind, most people just don't think of a VW as being even remotely quick. Just my thoughts on the subject, but personally I love the fact. Love seeing the looks on people's faces when I give it some gas, and even more so the look when I mention that it has a supercharger.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Re: Corrado = Sleeper? (AZVento)

i don't think the corrado could be a sleeper. When people know what it is, they usually know it's reputation (someone asked me if it had a twin turbo V8...
).
People try to out-accelerate me, too.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
At a GTG last night I was aked to race an RSX (beaten em millions of time) but the dude was like I know Corrado is fast man thats a V6

·
Registered
90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 96 BMW 318ti, 03 VW GTI 20th, 21 Jeep Gladiator
7,539 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 87GolfKart »
So you feel like cops are not as attracted to a Corrado as if it was a supra TT, porsche, or a integra with bodykit?

boy, i wish the cops out here weren't attracted to me. every time i go by a cop they give me the look down.
i'm not even doing anything but driving the speed limit. i think they don't know what it is. just that it is a two door hatch that is yellow. oh well, comes with the territory.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 87GolfKart »

Lately I've been getting cars, suv, truck, etc. coming from behind me and cutting me off. As soon as I accelerate from a stop light, some cars (i.e. Jeep) try to out-accelerate me even tho I'm not even racing.
I don't know if all these cars think my car has no balls and they wanna punk me around or what. Would they do the same to a porsche?

Probably, these sound like the same idiots who pull up next to my friend Mikey on his R1 and try the same thing, when anyone in their right mind will know that there is no way in hell that their cavalier or integra or almost any car will have a chance.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Re: Corrado = Sleeper? (markymark420)

those people sound like some people around here.....one night just driving around aimlessly (like i tend to do sometimes) some kid in a neon with a bunch of crappy graphics comes up on me from behind trying to get me to race, just cuz i had purposely tried to get the wing up without using the button so i hit 45 in a 35
dont think thats any reason to come up on someone and nearly rear-end 'em http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif (also how many other people find themselves doing that on empty roads???? i cant help but do it sometimes
)

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Re: Corrado = Sleeper? (Golf8VTurbo25)

the corrado is the type of car that people see and they have never heard of so they want to race it... which many times turns out ot be a stupid mistake...
i can't wait till the guy rips apart my old motor, cause i have never been in a G60 that has pulled as hard as mind did. i swear it was unexplainably fast. so i told the guy, this is a part fo the trade if i give you that motor i need to know what was in it cause it actually hurt my neck to hold it forward. i would have killed my SRT4 and i even beat a corvette (non z06 and an auto) on the highway!

·
Banned
185 Posts
Corrado = Sleeper? Maybe, if they all could run low 14's with basic bolt-ons.
On a side note, I would say that most Corrados are sleepers...because they spend about 80% of the year garaged due to broken parts, blown motors, or blown chargers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: (R E M U S 13)

Although a Corrado has a mean look about it, it's still a sleeper to anyone who doesn't know what it is. And we all know there are a lot of people out there who have no idea what a Corrado looks like. They see one and think " Looks nice, but it's a VW so how fast could it really be?" Then after you've blown the doors off their 5.0 Mustang they realize they just got a lesson in what a European Sleeper is.

·
Banned
185 Posts
Re: (ry guy)

Quote, originally posted by ry guy »
Then after you've blown the doors off their 5.0 Mustang they realize they just got a lesson in what a European Sleeper is.

Ok...what kind of corrado would exactly "blow the doors off" of a 5.0 stang? Certainly not a stock G60 or a stage 3 G60...I'll tell you that much.
Wanna know why? Because I've tried.
For example, one of my friends sent me a video a few days ago of him racing an 89 5.0 with his Evo 8 and he got the launch, but the stang beat him by about 3 cars by the end of 4th gear. Obviously the stang was more modded than a normal 5.0 would be.
Sure, some Corrados can hang with some stangs, the less-modded ones and even stock, but to say that a Corrado could blow the doors off of a 5.0 is just plain stupid.
The problem I see alot in here is that alot of guys think their corrados are faster than what they really are. I understand you enjoy driving it, it looks cool, and whatever else you like about it, but it's not the quickest thing on the street, trust me.

Modified by R E M U S 13 at 12:45 PM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
21 Posts

Not trying to make the Corrado sound like the end all speed machine. Just said that because I have beaten stock 5.0 Mustangs in my stock G60. To be fair they've also beaten me too. My first car was a 5.0 Mustang and trust me the Corrado is on par with a stock Mustang.
If you never managed to beat a stock Mustang, then so be it. But don't go calling what I've said stupid just because you haven't seen it for youself.

·
Registered
27,736 Posts

It depends. Once you lower one, tey dont look like sleepers. The shape of the car makes it looked crouched, and ready to move...

·
Registered
5,135 Posts

Quote, originally posted by R E M U S 13 »

Ok...what kind of corrado would exactly "blow the doors off" of a 5.0 stang? Certainly not a stock G60 or a stage 3 G60...I'll tell you that much.
Wanna know why? Because I've tried.

not all 5.0's have the same compression and rear end gears. there are a lot of 5.0's that have 2.83 final drives. those aren't too hard to beat, esp. in convertible form. on the other side of things, i had a friend with a newer 4.6 gt. i raced him in my rado, he waxed my ass like it was nothing. with that aside:
the corrado is def. a sleeper car. no one knows what one is. it's just that simple. esp. when you have the only one in town. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts