VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
SO YOU WANT TO REMOVE THE B3 OR B4 SLIDER WITHOUT PULLING THE TRIM, HEADLINER AND ASSEMBLY OUT OF THE CAR. This is what worked for me. This is also a way to access the antenna or grommet.

Remove the trim that covers C pillars and back end of the headliner.

You'll be able to see where you can gently pull down on the back of the headliner. The headliners two tabs will come out of the roofs slots they rest in.

The B3 shade (below) has another set of shorty cables that are just for the slider. They slide out of the track when the sunshade is pulled out. MAKE NOTE OF THE SLIDER GUIDE HOLES these cables come out of. On one side of the moonroof the shorty cable is on the left of the moonroof cable. It's on the right side on the moonroof cable on the other side. If you mix up the orientation you'll coat the shorty slider cables with grease from the mech cables until you get it right.

VW got the B4 sunshade right (Below). They took all the cables out. By putting a kick in the back of the B4 sunshade it allows the moonroof glass to pull the shade back when it opens. This shade simply pulls out the back with no hassles. Yes, that is Hushmat stuck to the roof in there.

When you get access to this area you can remove the two end caps of the sunroof rails. There's one Allen head screw that holds it on the end of the rail each side. The end caps have the sunroof drains attached to them.

Earlier in this post I modified the B4 sunshade to fit the B3 moonroof assem. The shade can be slid indipendantly of the moonroofs posistion. In other words you can open the sunroof and close the shade. I did this to allow access to clean the top side of the shade.

Below is the rear drip tray to the B3 moonroof. The B4 should have a similar one. Before pull the slider out gently pull this out the back of the headliner. Prior to installing the slider install the drip tray in reverse order. The moonroof is designed to leak. If this is not put back in it allows water to travel on top of the shade and the headliner.

·
Registered
16,158 Posts
Ok, so I'm doing some work to my car and I'm revisiting my moonroof. My current car is the 2nd moonroof swap on a corrado I've performed. My first car never leaked. When I did this current car's roof I had a couple of roof panels out of mk3s and b3s. I got them mixed up and had to swap glass to get the best fit curvature wise. The setup that I have leaks water and I believe its either the glass shape or the roof seal. Everybody pretty much agrees to use the B3 or B4. The thing is that the part number listed on the glass doesn't work in etka so I started a thread in the TDIclub's mk3/b4 TDI forum and learned how to tell the panels apart. I never realized that they spell out a3, b3 and b4 on the glass:banghead:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=374431

I searched the 43R-001090 and found threads where people referenced it but it looks like the A3 and B3 have 43R-001090 and both the a3 and B4 have 43r -001366

For those that don't have leaks and the curvature looks good please list both numbers:):thumbup::popcorn: oh and pics are always welcomed

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The B3 unit in mine died from some kind of obstruction in the cable tubes. Sourced Jetta III guts to repair the pass side but this only confirmed the issue was inside the cable tubes of the B3 passat sunroof. I now have a freshly pulled B4 assembly on the way.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
... I never realized that they spell out a3, b3 and b4 on the glass:banghead:

I searched the 43R-001090 and found threads where people referenced it but it looks like the A3 and B3 have 43R-001090 and both the a3 and B4 have 43r -001366

For those that don't have leaks and the curvature looks good please list both numbers:):thumbup::popcorn: oh and pics are always welcomed

Yep they sure do. A3, b3 b4 etc are etched on the glass. as you say. if the seal itself is old and shrunke up it makes things much worse. The key is getting the front edge to a happy medium. Not too high to create wind noise and not too low so that the fron corners cause too much leakage. Regardless though, the plastic drip tray should catch all of the wat tha makes it past the seal and prevent any leaks. ...unless the drain tubes are clogged or the corner drain spouts on the track are broken.

B3 and b4 fit exactly the same and fairly close to original steel panel. A3 does not fit half as nice as passats.

I would have to check the numbers, but I always go on the b3, etc etched on the glass..

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
OK, so I'm doing some work to my car and I'm revisiting my moonroof. My current car is the 2nd moonroof swap on a corrado I've performed. My first car never leaked. When I did this current car's roof I had a couple of roof panels out of mk3s and b3s. I got them mixed up and had to swap glass to get the best fit curvature wise. The setup that I have leaks water and I believe its either the glass shape or the roof seal. Everybody pretty much agrees to use the B3 or B4. The thing is that the part number listed on the glass doesn't work in etka so I started a thread in the TDIclub's mk3/b4 TDI forum and learned how to tell the panels apart. I never realized that they spell out a3, b3 and b4 on the glass:banghead:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=374431

G60ING glass pic is really cool. For all the aerospace engineering that's gone into these moonroofs it's a must to have the TEAM ROCKWELL / VW icons on the glass. My B3 Passat glass below doesn't have that logo

This is the drip tray from the B3. The sunroof didn't leak until it was removed. It only leaked on top of the slider and the back of the sunroof. The permanent front drains got the rest of the rain. The front mount "horn" broke off the B3 assembly already installed in the Corrado. :thumbdown:

I don't know if the B4 set up has replaceable drip tray mount horns like the Mk III slider assembly (below). I assume it does but will find out when it arrives from NEPA this week.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts

I don't know if the B4 set up has replaceable drip tray mount horns like the Mk III slider assembly (below). I assume it does but will find out when it arrives from NEPA this week.

Whoa, I have never seen that before. ..and I have been though every variation of VW sunroofs knows to man (At least I thought). Since the length of that horn is the only difference between the steel and glass panels regardless of generation, that replaceable horn essentially makes it a universal piece.

Very interesting.

On a side note, you mentioned waay above about getting the wrong piece because of the plastic arm (the one with the little plastic ball at the end) of the slide guide. However, it looks correct to me. All of the sides are suppose to have those on both sides, but 99% of the time they are broken off. They are suppose to provide side tension on the slide shoes to prevent rattle.

All Sunroof tracks (prior to MKiV that is) are interchangeable (with minor mods in some cases and a result of the different shade stops).

Here is what I did to use the early Corrado Track with the A3/B4 shade stops since the track I got with those were bent up.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Finally this project can be called complete. The Mk IV slider was tan so the plastic vent is also tan. It's much less noticeable without the flash showing the contrast against the grey headliner fabric. The sun visors do their thing just by being new and clean replacements. This was a PITA but well worth it to have a Mk III Passat Moonroof in perfect working order.

The B4 moonroof from NEPA was wasted thanks to FedEx. It was returned to the seller and eligible for full reimbursement. CuRide hooked me up with another B3 moonroof last week. Between that and all the parts from the Jetta III moonroof guts from xet33 I can just about cover any needed repair in the future. Yes that is another Oh Sheet handle on the driver side from a UK A pillar.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Fatal Flaw on the B4 sunroof slider.

The upholstery shop used white glue to reattach the plastic vent section back on to the black panel.
Too much fabric was left on the leading edge of the slider and had to be trimmed down.
The adhesive in the Hushmat is almost magnetically attracted to ANYTHING and gums up the works.

Just found '97 Jetta III shade with the same slotted vent shade on eBay for $54 shipped.

There's one left here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281111302904?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It's grey and they're usually found in tan. Not sure if it's smooth fabric or the mouse fur like the Corrado. I'll post a pic later.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok so I am looking at tackling this conversion in the near future and am curious if there's any real difference between the B3 and B4 panels? Pete, I see you clipped off the sunshade arms that pull it back with the glass when opened. Is this just so you can operate the shade on its own? I've never messed with one so I was wondering if you cannot open it independently, just by opening the roof(unmodified/clipped)?

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Corrado Sunroof Fix - THE GUTS of a Passat Moonroof Cable & Sunshade Repair /...

This is a panel from a Mk III Jetta (P # 1H0 877 255 A). If the kick at the back of the panel (what you called "arms") is not cut off the slider and will only open and close when the moonroof is closed.

To use a B4 & G/J III slider on a B3 moonroof assembly you must use a B4 & G/J III rain tray or cut the tail off B4 & G/J III slider. Interference issues will occur if you don't. If you decide not to reinstall your drip tray your moonroof will leak on the back half.

The (non vented) B3 slider has an addition set of cable that keep the slider from closing when the sunroof is open. The additional cables on the B3 slider can be removed. After they're removed the B3 slider will work independently like a B4 & G/J III slider with it's tail cut off.

So .. no independent movement on a B3 or B4 sunshade unless the kick in the tail of the B4 & G/J III slider is cut off or the cables are removed from the B3 slider.

If you made the decision to replace the fabric on your shade use the grinder to remove just a little of the light colored plastic melty rivets so the vented portion of your shade will come off. One you undo these rivets only a bit of epoxy glue, clamps and time will get the vent piece back together again. I didn't pull the rivets out until I had matching fabric for the headliner. Headliner and shade were done at the same time.

After getting removed from the slider, the vent piece will get a good scrub. I'm going to paint the top half of the vent piece matte black. Looking up from inside the car it'll be grey. Looking down from outside with the glass open or closed it will be all black.

White epoxy was used on the slider's vent last time the upholstery shop assembled it with the new fabric. This time I'll have them use black epoxy. It was a last minute decision to cut the tail off the completed slider because .....

Passat B4 & Jetta/Golf III vented sliders have to use a Passat B4 & Jetta/Golf III rain drip try otherwise that kick will hit the B3 Passat sunroof mechanicals.

It was a little scary cutting off the kick portion of the perfectly restored slider panel. Being able to open the sunroof with the slider shade closed is awesome. It lets you use like a visor for the open moonroof. As much as I liked the having the HushMat on the back of the shade I wont do it this time. It made the shade heavier and took the drum like acoustic away from it. It cut out 100% of any wind noise instead of amplifying it ... but it looked like sheeeet! I'll have access to add it later if I can't live without it.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Corrado Sunroof Fix - THE GUTS of a Passat Moonroof Cable & Sunshade Repair /...

Hey Frank! FL better than CA? I regret not getting to see the TDI while you were out here. deff use the dielectric grease. Viscosity has stayed perfect and doesn't migrate off the parts.

Hushmat the roof while your're do'n the job. It cuts almost all the drone in the cabin.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Beach Auto Sound in Huntington Beach.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Uh oh. I used that stuff and it dried up. Dielectric is the only stuff that wont freeze or dry up since it's silicone based.
Any hardware store or Radio Shack should have the dielectric grease.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts