VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swap should be here today, but I'm still debating which direction to go as far as what C2 tune, standalone, etc.
Those w/ OBD2 swaps running the C2 #42 setup, would you do it all over again? Driveability? Power? Snags? How much boost?
I've followed a few of your threads and it seems some of the cars didn't run right but now do. What was the issue?
Any info is appreciated. I want everything to work as well so what will I need to run seperate from the Passat harness? I've heard oil and volt gauges. Reverse lights? Turn signals?
Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Re: Corrado VRT's w/ OBD2 swaps running C2 #42: Opinions please (slc92)

Maybe google McNoob's addy and start driving here

·
Registered
12,385 Posts
Re: Corrado VRT's w/ OBD2 swaps running C2 #42: Opinions please (fastslc)

have i EVER steered you wrong steve?
you will not regret it, car runs like a brand new car, every day, no matter what. no irregularities, no issues, just driving enjoyment.
oh, at 25 psi i keep blowing boost lines tho

·
Banned
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Corrado VRT's w/ OBD2 swaps running C2 #42: Opinions please (Noobercorn)

Mike, what were your issues at the start though? You posted that the car ran like crap. Was it a failed component? Wiring issue w/ obd2?
Also,
Does everything work in your car?
What EBC are you using? Is it a profec type S? How do you switch it? I need something I can switch quickly while I'm racing and I know they have a remote switch you can mount on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
12,385 Posts

bad coil pack. it was toast. put new one on, and blew 3rd gear that night

car is fine, everything works and it is perfect to drive.
i use the profec B Spec II, and it is one button to go from 15 to 25 psi

hold the button for 2 sec and i am at ~ 10 psi. turn the knob, and boost goes up on the fly.

·
Banned
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Sounds good. Is the button on the unit though?
I'll need something I can mount on the steering wheel or shifter. I think the remote switch is ~$125-$175 but well worth it.
Swap parts should be here today or tomorrow. MAF and throttle are new. Worried about the coilpack and O2 sensor. I think the car had 165k on it.

·
Banned
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks Mike. The type S is cheaper, but looks like it may be discontinued.

·
Banned
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Corrado VRT's w/ OBD2 swaps running C2 #42: Opinions please (need_a_VR6)

Problem w/ standalone:
I don't even have a laptop right now. Tuning it and/or adjusting that tune requires me being dependent on someone else.
#42 once installed is turn key and flawless up to inj. max. MAF based so any airflow mod is fine.
It's tempting, but I would not be willing to tear up my harness which would also mean a custom wiring harness.

·
Banned
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Corrado VRT's w/ OBD2 swaps running C2 #42: Opinions please (G60T)

Quote, originally posted by G60T »
obd2 is amazing, very reliable.

You running the #42lb. tune?

·
Registered
37,597 Posts

How much is one of those netbooks these days
I had mine running on OBD1 yesterday and it'll be on standalone again today. Not hard, just a PnP harness and a wire swap on the wideband. You'd have to drill a hole in the raintray firewall but other then that there's not much hard stuff to do.
Though, it sounds like you made your mind up but you still ask for opinions

·
Banned
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Corrado VRT's w/ OBD2 swaps running C2 #42: Opinions please (need_a_VR6)

Quote, originally posted by need_a_VR6 »

Though, it sounds like you made your mind up but you still ask for opinions

Still considering all alternatives.
Standalone is a no brainer IMO for a drag car, huge power, allout, etc. For a street/strip there are drawbacks vs. a plug and play system.
I'll need a laptop for vag-com anyway so no biggie there. My issue is mainly getting the car to run perfect in all temps, at different boost levels, mods etc. I don't have the time or desire to play w/ cars on my days off. I work on them all day. I F'in hate cars anymore

I do like driving them and racing them though

Feel free to shoot me an IM on what you would setup on my car. Injectors? PNP harness? Features?(2step, multi stage boost control, etc.) What injectors? Or post here if you wish.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Noobercorn »
have i EVER steered you wrong steve?
you will not regret it, car runs like a brand new car, every day, no matter what. no irregularities, no issues, just driving enjoyment.
oh, at 25 psi i keep blowing boost lines tho

you should do what I'm doing and v-band the boost pipes to the intercooler http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
and to the o.p. 42lb software is beautiful I have been running it on my car non-intercooled and low boost for a year with no problems, I didn't have the cash or all the parts I needed at the time to do everything in one shot http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by VR SEX at 2:45 PM 8-19-2009

·
Banned
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Corrado VRT's w/ OBD2 swaps running C2 #42: Opinions please (VR SEX)

Quote, originally posted by VR SEX »

you should do what I'm doing and v-band the boost pipes to the intercooler http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
and to the o.p. 42lb software is beautiful I have been running it on my car non-intercooled and low boost for a year with no problems, I didn't have the cash or all the parts I needed at the time to do everything in one shot http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by VR SEX at 2:45 PM 8-19-2009

Awesome. Just got everything minus the harness and mani as that's in another box. Coilpack is cracked=trash. 02's are original=trash.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts

Quote, originally posted by slc92 »

You running the #42lb. tune?

Yeah, along with an awic, its has perfect drivability and performance. Minimal lag for a huge turbo too.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Re: Corrado VRT's w/ OBD2 swaps running C2 #42: Opinions please (G60T)

Mine is swapped OBD2 w/42lb chip. It runs great at 11 psi, haven't cranked it up yet. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
FV-QR

It's nice to wake up and just turn the keys to start the car and go. I've gone as high as 26 psi with no issues besides traction

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.