VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so first off I have been having problems with the car starting but lately its been fine it has a new ignition switch and the starter looks fairly new also i come out this morning and car not starting. I have power going to starter when i turn the key I get nothing I tried to jump the starter and it spins but is not engaging anyone got some ideas?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Re: corrado wont start (meinradovr6)

If the starter spings and does not engage the ring gear[with a fully charged battery] as you state then you know the simple fact that the stater isn't engaging the ring gear.

Pull it and take a look at what both gears look like. More then likely the gear is not being flung forward to engage the ring gear[seized/stuck/jammed/immobilized/disabled/congested/restricted/blown/held up/hung up/stranded if you will]

·
Registered
84 Supra, 86 Supra, 93 Corrado, 15 Golf TDI, 16 GTI
2,233 Posts
Re: corrado wont start (Ash Backwards GTI)

YES i would say the new rebuilt starter is bad, if you have starter signal and it pops maybe the starter bushing in the trans is worn out, if the starter is replaced but not the bushing the starter will go bad prematurely because it gets sideloaded and sloppy

·
Registered
16,158 Posts

Have you heard lots of grinding when trying to start the car in the past? Maybe you have worn the ring gear down.
If this is the case put the car in gear, with the car off and try pushing the car so the motor turns a little. Now try starting again. If it starts the ring gear is fubar. If it doesn't try pushing the car a little further, maybe the flat spot is big.

Modified by G60ING at 6:52 PM 10-29-2007

Modified by G60ING at 6:52 PM 10-29-2007

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: corrado wont start (G60ING)

i never hear grinding when i start it i have a new starter on the way tomorrow hopefully it works I will look at the flywheel when the starter is out for sure

·
Registered
84 Supra, 86 Supra, 93 Corrado, 15 Golf TDI, 16 GTI
2,233 Posts

make sure you replace the starter bushing that the starter slides into that press's into the trans, should look brass and come with the new starter, i've had new starters go bad in a week cause i was too lazy to not replace it, good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts