VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.
2.0L ABA with solid lifter head from a JH engine.
I originally installed using the 2L gasket from a 9A 16V,
but it's looking like I have a coolant leak (bit of white smoke in the exhaust).
So do I go again with the 9A gasket, or go with the ABA gasket?
-Dave

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: Correct head gasket for ABA with solid lifter head? (MrDave)

The best information I have indicates you should use a 9A gasket, the ABA gasket has an oval shaped oil drain hole which may leak when put under a solid lifter head.
FWIW, I have also used a 1.8L head gasket without any problems. If you try a 1.8 gasket then make sure the gasket you use does not overhang the cylinder bores and you should be just fine.
In any case, make sure the block and head surfaces are clean and true. It might not be a bad idea to have your head re-surfaced, if you had a coolant leak there's a chance the surface of your head may have some distortions or defects, anyway, it's cheap insurance, cheaper than yet another new head gasket.

·
Banned
10,046 Posts
Re: Correct head gasket for ABA with solid lifter head? (brinskan)

It will work. I used one for over a year with no problems. Apparently though, i was lucky. Most of the time if you use the ABA gasket you'll get an oil leak. At least thats what TT told me.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Re: Correct head gasket for ABA with solid lifter head? (deathhare)

TT recommends the 9A head gasket last time I spoke to them about the issue. I've used both the 9A gasket and the ABA gasket on my ABA/JH motor, no problems either way.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: Correct head gasket for ABA with solid lifter head? (Andrew Stauffer)

Like I said earlier, the shape of one of the oil drain holes is different on the ABA gasket, if you use the ABA gasket you'll probably be okay but there's a greater risk of an oil leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.