VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 1982 Scirocco 8V that I'm trying to get started after sitting for many years, but I'm by myself and need to be able to check things like spark. So I'd like to attach my old Bosch remote starter switch so that I can trigger engine start from under the hood. My understanding is that on this engine, one lead from my switch should attach to the positive terminal of my battery and the other lead should attach to one of the two screws coming from the capacitor attached to the starter. If that is correct, which screw should I attach to?

Thanks for the help!
John

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I've learned a bit. I traced a wire from the battery to one of the two posts on the starter. The post that this wire is attached to is the larger of the two screws in the picture above. My research indicates that one wire from my push button starter should be connected to the OTHER post (the shorter screw in the picture above). So with the key in the accessory position, one wire attached to the positive terminal on the battery and the other wire attached to the short post on the starter, when I press the button the starter spins but it isn't engaging the flywheel to crank the engine. The starter just sounds like it's spinning.

So I'm missing something. Ideas anyone?
Thanks!
John

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
First thing, you are wrong. So whatever you did, forget about that.

A remote start needs to have a battery positive on one side. Easily received from the battery but you could also get it from the longer screw post of the starter too.

The second lead of the switch needs to connect to the circuit 50 flat spade on the starter. You have two so only one will work. In the picture you have, I believe it's the one on top. It may be marked 50 too.

What happens if you put power in the wrong terminal? Nothing really.

BTW, I would not install that type of starter in a 020 manual transmission 8V. I would use SR0407x Bosch starter. No bushing to worry about, more powerful, lighter, and uses less amps to crank over your engine. There is nothing negative about that starter. Plus, there is only one spade so there is no confusion where circuit 50 is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

A remote start needs to have a battery positive on one side. Easily received from the battery but you could also get it from the longer screw post of the starter too.

The second lead of the switch needs to connect to the circuit 50 flat spade on the starter. You have two so only one will work. In the picture you have, I believe it's the one on top. It may be marked 50 too.

BTW, I would not install that type of starter in a 020 manual transmission 8V. I would use SR0407x Bosch starter. No bushing to worry about, more powerful, lighter, and uses less amps to crank over your engine. There is nothing negative about that starter. Plus, there is only one spade so there is no confusion where circuit 50 is.
Thanks, Butcher. Assuming it's not raining outside tomorrow I will give that a try and respond back here.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yep, that was it. It turns out that on the starter that is currently installed, there are two spades and two screws. One of the spades was not attached to anything, so I tried that first and it worked immediately. One of the curious things that I noticed is that the key does NOT need to be in the accessory position to start the car. I guess that's OK. Nobody would ever want to steal this thing that I'm working on. ;-)

Thanks again, Butcher!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.