VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to change the reading of the odometer to display the correct mileage? If so, is there a How To somewhere that I can read?
Not been able to search anything out so far.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Correcting the odometer after cluster switch. (mybabyrulez)

Quote, originally posted by mybabyrulez »
Is it possible to change the reading of the odometer to display the correct mileage? If so, is there a How To somewhere that I can read? Not been able to search anything out so far.

I experimented once with an old odometer, using a variable speed dremel and a rubber tip. I was able to get the odometer close to all zero's and then manually turned the tumblers until it read zero's.
You will have to remove the odometer/speedometer unit from the instrument cluster.
Good luck, WWR.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
i had mine apart and tried change the numbers by pulling out the center shaft and then changing each one, but when i put it all back together i put the last 2 numbers in wrong or something, so the last digit was moving at all sorts of weird times, i think if i would have just zeroed them i probably would have been fine ohwell.

·
Banned
7,774 Posts

dont even bother with changing the mileage on the odometer!
with these old rabbits chances are that the mileage shown may not be the actual mileage.
ive changed clusters 3 times,soon to be 4

·
Registered
'81 Trek 614, '95 Ranger
12,002 Posts

Go find one of those fix the odometer posts or pages where they go into detail about fixing or replacing the cracked drive gears.
When you get down to the shaft, carefully file or Dremel the crimp nubs off, you can re-knick them with ***** later during re-assembly.
TAPE.
Tape all the wheels together so they don't quickly get away or you're looking for yet another cluster. The last one I did, I got it within 4k miles, decided that was close enough, I hadn't figured out the tape trick then.
The job can easily make the most dexterous among us feel as though we have ten thumbs per hand, I give the job a ten for gratification when it comes out well. Patience definitely required.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Re: Correcting the odometer after cluster switch. (tolusina)

Quote, originally posted by tolusina »
Go find one of those fix the odometer posts or pages where they go into detail about fixing or replacing the cracked drive gears........
...........Tape all the wheels together so they don't quickly get away or you're looking for yet another cluster. The last one I did, I got it within 4k miles, decided that was close enough, I hadn't figured out the tape trick then.

Here is said thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1065244&postid=27375296#27375296

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: Correcting the odometer after cluster switch. (JPX)

all you have to do is pull the first gear back a little (slide it the left) and then rotate the others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts