VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

corvair steroids! this guy has them in the form of wicked gasser!

10K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  Bias_Ply 
#1 ·
i really can't find the words to describe this awesome car!this guy to a 4 wheel independent rear engined car and threw in a pair of solid axles turned it into a fire breathing front engined mean machine! and its so beautiful looking! oh man if i had the monies i'd be all over that!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...rucks

See less See more
#7 ·
Re: corvair steroids! this guy has them in the form of wicked gasser! (Mr.Variety)

now thats a blower..........

#14 ·
Re: corvair steroids! this guy has them in the form of wicked gasser! (VR6GTI72)

Quote, originally posted by VR6GTI72 »
Not a fan of a corvair as a highboy gasser.
I like them more of a road race look.

I was just salivating over a Corvair I found for $2900, in "pretty good" running condition. This is pretty much where I would want to go with it (1965 Corsa 140 coupe).
Does anyone know much about these cars? Is this a project worth considering? Or are parts going to be near impossible to find? (aircooled, horizontally opposed GM engines?!?)
In other words, "why SHOULDN'T I do it?"

#16 ·
Re: corvair steroids! this guy has them in the form of wicked gasser! (VR6GTI72)

This needed to be quoted again.
The gasser looked better than it did in my minds eye before I clicked, but it's still wrong. I don't understand the desire to put a radiator into a car that never had one. It would be much simpler to put an air cooled engine into a car that was once water cooled than would be the reverse.

#17 ·
Re: corvair steroids! this guy has them in the form of wicked gasser! (PsyberVW)

Quote, originally posted by PsyberVW »

The only reason I would say 'don't do it' is if you lived closer to me so I could buy it out from under you.

#20 ·
Re: corvair steroids! this guy has them in the form of wicked gasser! (valfaw)

so he took a car that was very unique and spent a lot of time and money to take our everything that made it unique so it is like every other gasser out there?

seems like a waste to me. $.02

#22 ·
Re: corvair steroids! this guy has them in the form of wicked gasser! (Jettavr666)

Quote, originally posted by Jettavr666 »
honestly NO.
there are PLENTY of cars that are right as gassers. The Corvair is not one of them.

i kind of feel the same way. I love all the details, and the work looks good from my monitor, but the Corvair body just looks out of place to me. Maybe because i think the Corvair is one of GM's best looking cars and all the lines are messed up in the gasser style.

#23 ·
Quote, originally posted by PsyberVW »

No reason not to. Most NOS parts are reasonable, the cars are cheap & plentiful, and there's several vendors (esp Clark's) who sell reproduction EVERYTHING. When I inherited mine, I thought it was going to suck finding parts, but the opposite has been true for the most part.... There's a relatively decent amount of aftermarket performance parts for such an oddball car, too. 140 heads are getting harder to find, but that's a moot point with that Corsa...
As far as 1965 goes, there's some '65 only trim pieces & such that are hard to find in original or NOS condition, but most are reproduced if you don't mind some $$$. One thing you might consider changing is the trans, for a '66-up Saginaw 4 speed.... contrary to the more conventional Chevys, they are considered superior to the earlier Muncie units; those too are getting harder to find. Also upgrading to a dual circuit master cylinder (standard on '66 or '67-up, can't think of which).

#25 ·

Actually you can have your cake & eat it too. Enter Crown Engineering, with their kit to put a small block Chevy V8 amidships as in this car with a 350 in it:

I had a '65 Corsa & QFT on that weak transmission. I believe many transmission AND suspension components were shared with the Corvette for '66 & later.
But I always wanted one of these babies

#26 ·
Re: corvair steroids! this guy has them in the form of wicked gasser! (Mr.Variety)

Quote, originally posted by Mr.Variety »
i am .................. a corvair master!!!! i have an attic full of corvair parts!!!! anything you need to know i can tell you!

Then you already know the car in your OP is doing it wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.