VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is what I started with, handed down from my inlaws...plan is to give to my daughter on her sweet 16 next month. Doesn't look too bad from this side. Everything has a good side :)

2007 Auto - Laser Blue, 105K miles, no CEL lights or failures.

Known defects:
  1. Pass Side was side-swipped, (see upcoming pics)
  2. Top Leaks from Passenger Window which doesn't trigger down when closing door
  3. Headlights chalky
  4. Tail-lights cracked and falling apart
  5. Interior plastics sticky
  6. Glove Box Latch broken
  7. Shift lever won't pass into toggle mode
  8. Shift lever trim ring missing
  9. Front bumper parking block bashed and driveway dragged
  10. Front fender liners busted up.
  11. Convertible Top Rear Glass Separated
  12. Drivers Sun-visor Destroyed
  13. Scratches and general wear and tear
  14. Rear Brakes
  15. AutoTrans Service
  16. Fender to bumper seam brackets badly rusted
  17. Fender Liner clips pulled loose from fender
  18. UnderDash tray full of debris; Retrofit Cabin Filter

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The passenger side damage:

The below is after I replaced the door with a color matched used panel freight shipped in from Indiana. Found on ebay and matched perfect but was expensive, certainly cheaper than a respray thou. Lots of hassle to fit given I had to do it twice since the first donor door was such a nightmare.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Found the early Audi TT wheels. The offset is a perfect fit for beetle. The wheels need restored and tires replaced.

Car Wheel Tire Volkswagen new beetle Land vehicle

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Learned the beetle has many convertible unique parts to it....like the window regulators, the sun-visors, the door cards. Probably more as I will find out. The below shows difference in visors, hardtop vs convertible. Bought the wrong one on ebay and in the end was able to fix the original one with simply a purposed sized washer to fit inside the hogged out screw hole. You can see the bottom visor screw hole back was cracked off and missing, thus the screw would pull right through.

Hand Wood Table Finger Hardwood

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
More stud gun and slide hammer pulling out the dents. These dents were actually deeper than I thought...if I had to do it again, I would likely use a different kit with weld on tab that hold more surface and use a rod to tie them together to pull out the dents.
Saw Automotive tire Automotive lighting Handheld power drill Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Grille
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Time for body filler, by this point you have to question whether welding in a new panel would have made more sense? Answer: for DIY this is cheaper, certainly not faster.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Priming the Rocker; after this I am going to apply a healthy dose of herculiner...its a traffic area an repainting this will just look like hell in a few years.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is going to be a lot of work:

I am using Jasco Premium Paint stripper to get the clearcote off....it being 40 degrees isn't helping the process...need some warmer weather days indeed

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Good work, the issues you listed; are all classic new beetle problems. The convertible, adds to the problems; rear window and eventually the top, will need replaced. Thanks for posting your progress! :)

For used parts search; check out: www.car-parts.com

For looking up part #'s and check on new parts, prices and availablity, VW's parts site is helpful:

www.parts.vw.com

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
If you want to add some protection and styling to your rockers, check out these reproduction VOTEX covers. These were sold by VW in the accessories catalog, then they discontinued them and this company, has reproduced them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good work, the issues you listed; are all classic new beetle problems. The convertible, adds to the problems; rear window and eventually the top, will need replaced. Thanks for posting your progress! :)

For used parts search; check out: www.car-parts.com

For looking up part #'s and check on new parts, prices and availablity, VW's parts site is helpful:

www.parts.vw.com
thanks the VW parts lookup has been helpful except for the rear fender bracket part numbers. Ours are mostly all rusted to nothing, so either I have to make or find replacements in a junkyard. I found for a few of the missing fronts, since part numbers were easier to track down.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
If you want to add some protection and styling to your rockers, check out these reproduction VOTEX covers. These were sold by VW in the accessories catalog, then they discontinued them and this company, has reproduced them.

thanks a lot, wish I knew about these earlier...My guess Is I'd still would have had to pull mine straight somewhat. I like the accent they add....I do wonder if the extra width these add will increase what is already a high risk of hitting the rockers. I think the stock wheel offset and tire size doesn't help for drivers which struggle with parking...the rockers seem to extend dangerously past the stock tire profile.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bedliner on rocker, tried Rustoleum brand first which was a finer texture, but the herculiner had the texture I was seeking in the end!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

1 - 20 of 38 Posts