VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Nice, work; keep updating your progress! Thanks! :)
Mounted the pass side door back on today and started the process to repeat for the driver side. This side should go faster...as I didn't pull glass or regulator (the pass side had a snapped cable). I chose to take door off vehicle because it makes for a better job and since wrapping is new to me and the door is the biggest part I've wrapped it helps. Honestly I don't see another way as getting the wrap behind the lower door hinge requires separating hinge from door. Also helps with the cleaning process and given wrap is to be installed in 70-80 degree I didn't see a good way to get door done right as you do need to stretch wrap as there is a tiny smile to that line to stay consistent with side belt molding up top. Its hard to tell but its there. In the end I used tape and a Vernier Caliper to be double sure and keep it in check. The beetle does have a small rake to the rear with the belt line curving up 1/2" to 3/4" depending where you measure. The Final Edition Beetles seem to go rouge about 2/3 into the rear quarter....so that area is hella tricky. In the end I think I got it right...staring down the line of the car I don't see inconsistent waves up or down...just a nice fluid line.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
8,178 Posts
Nice work on the refresh!

Replacement Non OEM Haartz A5 (edited) canvas tops are the way to go. The rear glass is bonded into the fabric and carries a lifetime warranty on failure.

Do not get and aftermarket headliner or Vert top pad that goes between them. There are fitment issues and the material is inferior compared to VW’s material. If in good nick reuse the existing pad. The shop that replaced the top on our 07 had to do the job twice due to headliner issues.

The early cabin air filter housing bolts into our NNBS return air duct under the plastic dash panels under the windshield. It keep a boatload of shmuck out of the cabin that huge raintray brings in.

In your journey’s if you find a black door card in good shape for our 07, drop us a line. The handle pulled off of our triple white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nice work on the refresh!

Replacement Non OEM haartz canvas tops are the way to go. The rear glass is bonded into the fabric and carries a lifetime warranty on failure.

Do not get and aftermarket headliner or Vert top pad that goes between them. There are fitment issues and the material is inferior compared to VW’s material. If in good nick reuse the existing pad. The shop that replaced the top on our 07 had to do the job twice due to headliner issues.

The early cabin air filter housing bolts into our NNBS return air duct under the plastic dash panels under the windshield. It keep a boatload of shmuck out of the cabin that huge raintray brings in.

In your journey’s if you find a black door card in good shape for our 07, drop us a line. The handle pulled off of our triple white.

I appreciate the tip on the top replacement. I don't know how bad ours leaks or where exactly yet. As you can see the rear glass is floating in ours. Where does the water go once inside there? Drain holes I hope....seriously if anyone knows please comment. I believe water has come in around the door glass as a result of the door drop feature not working on the driver door. You have to double tap the lock unlock with key fob so the glass seals under the top as opposed to missing the top completely.

I'd also be interested to see if the stock top can be patched at the thin spots where it folds, (if indeed its leaking there)...fraying has begun. All seams and sew lines are great however.

As for the cabin air filter...I replaced our 07 non-filter model with one that had the filter just because we live in a more dense area and summer pollen can be a PITA. I hear ya on the debris that can get in underneath the dash bulkhead reveal....I took the windshield cowl out and zip tied in a rain gutter like in the below pic to help with that problem, it will still let air pass freely, and probably some needles, but not leaves and larger debris.

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Grille Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
UPDATE:

Drivers Side Wrap finished.
Fenders/bumpers back on and managed not to scratch anything. (PICS COMING)
Paint Correction on original paint areas
Touch up Paint for chips arriving today
New 56mm VW center caps coming for the TT wheels Wednesday
New Headlights ordered from Amazon ETA?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
So I ordered these replacement handles off ebay a couple months back....went to install them today and realized they are flat but the stock has a curve to it. Guess the customer has to bend this 1/8 aluminum....anyone else have these? Maybe just the convertible door handle is curved and regular is flat. Sent a message to seller, but yeah I will try to bend them in a vice and see how it goes. Not like I can return them after all this time so what do I have to loose? Notice how dirty and tacky the stock pieces are, why did VW engineer this plastic with a soft rubber coating which absorbs dirt and gets nasty. I used GooGone on most of the other pieces like door lever surrounds and grab handle ends...worked good with lots of scrubbing.

Tire Automotive tire Wood Wheel Rim

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
8,178 Posts
Watch out for your rear headrests flying off when the top is down. The adhesive is dead and they’re only staying on with a slight bond and friction.

She’s coming along great.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
These cost more but I found; these cast metal handles from Motorking, are really well made and do not require any cutting of the old handle and install quickly, no hassle, retain the stock look. They also, retain the old plastic portion of the handle; so, they are more comfortable, then the thin billet metal type replacements; that are all over eBay and amazon. They come in the stock colors; powder coated, in gray, black or tan, then also available in chrome, if that appeals to you.

The primary issue with many handles is them cracks and breaking off; these metal replacements are bullet proof and is the final solution for this issue, sold, as a rock! My drivers side handle cracked and broke off the top; I drilled some holes, reinforced with coat hanger, used epoxy to glue things and bolted down the handle, sandwiched everything together, epoxy dried, super solid repair! :)

Motor King VW Beetle Metal Reinforced Door Panel Door Handle Repair Kit

Here they are installed without the bolt covers; on my 2002 New Beetle Turbo S:

Hood Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, those are really nice billymade, however really spendy @ 107 bucks each side right now... Tan, Grey, Black. Pair of chrome can be had for 179 however. I'll just finished bending these since I have them already.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh wow, that's great to know that one can get those handles online! They break in every Beetle at some point and getting new ones from the junk yard is hard because of that. The door panels and handles are rally a weak point in the New Beetle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
95% there and getting ready for the reveal this saturday night. Here is a undetailed preview of the car. Still needs the headlights installed, some more paint correction and final detailing.

What do you think:

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, those are really nice billymade, however really spendy @ 107 bucks each side right now... Tan, Grey, Black. Pair of chrome can be had for 179 however. I'll just finished bending these since I have them already.
They are about $45+ a side; depending on where you get them, I really like mine and they look stock or you can do the chrome look.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Well done! My wife got her 07 Vert in 14 when she finished her master’s in nursing. I swapped the Audi key fob with the Vert fob. As expected, she didn’t notice the VW & Audi logo of the fob was different.

It took her a while, but she finally figured out the Beetle parked where the Audi used to be was her new car. The congratulations card on the windshield gave it away.

Reactions: 3M_TA3
21 - 38 of 38 Posts