VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
44,325 Posts

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Later on he damaged the engine (oil issue???) at a track day so that was not a cheap endeavor.

Just for giggles I did some searching to see what the big parts would cost. Using Teslas as my main source.

Model 3 75kWh battery pack - $11k eBay Model 3 battery

OR

You can piece together modules
Model X or S 5.2kWh battery module - $1100 eBay Model X or S battery module

Model S P85 motor w subframe - $6000 eBay Model S motor

Just with those two big things you're up to $17k and there will be countless other smaller parts that will be need (cabling, controller, charge port, etc). If you can do all the fab work yourself it will easily be $25-30k in parts to convert. Expensive. Sure but a car hobby always is. :cool:

·
Registered
6,104 Posts

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Do you want something that can in some fashion move under its own power, and that alone deems it a success? Butchered bodyshell and interior to make it work, no heat, no A/C, no power steering, no power brakes, no modern safety systems or crash structures, etc.

Or ... Do you want power steering and brakes, air conditioning, heating that works, a proper charging system so that you can use a normal electric car charging plug, etc.? Up goes the cost, probably by a multiple.

Do you care if these features are "there", somehow ... or do you want a proper OEM-like interface with everything integrated seamlessly so that it looks and works like a production car? Up goes the cost, by another multiple.

Do you want the car's original safety systems to work? ABS, ESP, traction control, airbags, crash structures? Up goes the cost, by ANOTHER multiple.

·
Registered
Model 3P, AP2 S2K, 981 Boxster S
3,397 Posts
Talk to MountainPass Performance. The owner did this Lotus Evora EV conversion. The move was a Tesla motor with Volt batteries. It made the car gut wrenchingly quick. Check out the other videos.

·
Registered
44,325 Posts
Talk to MountainPass Performance. The owner did this Lotus Evora EV conversion. The move was a Tesla motor with Volt batteries. It made the car gut wrenchingly quick. Check out the other videos.

youtube;WDu9HpPD8VY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDu9HpPD8VY
Iiiinteresting. Volt batteries should be relatively cheap (I did say "relatively"!) since the cars are. I'll need to look into this one further.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Wut?

I see a 996 rolling body in my local advert for $5k. How much do you guys think it will cost to do a EV conversion ? Or just a big money pit?
TCL is ribbing you and not telling what it will really cost. It will cost you your soul. You ever loving automotive enthusiast soul.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
25,242 Posts
TCL is ribbing you and not telling what it will really cost. It will cost you your soul. You ever loving automotive enthusiast soul.
lol watt?

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
18,866 Posts

Did you see the video on the Tesla powered M3 above? That car has soul aplenty.

And guys, this company has all the parts and experience for converting VWs and Porsches:

And another Porsche 911 conversion:

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Ha!

lol watt?
Ha!

Hate to see the OP sink so much dough on something that won't satisfy his car loving soul.

As much as some want to cheer him on in a money pit projest that will leave him with automotive enthusiast blue balls, we must tell him the truth and be a part of the resistance, my ohms :laugh:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I've been considering doing a LEAF swap on my beetle. My LEAF felt very quick, and I can only imagine what it would do in a beetle.

Chris

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
18,866 Posts
Ha!Hate to see the OP sink so much dough on something that won't satisfy his car loving soul.As much as some want to cheer him on in a money pit projest that will leave him with automotive enthusiast blue balls, we must tell him the truth and be a part of the resistance, my ohms :laugh:
Are you this closed minded and ignorant in real life or do you just play a dumbass on TCL?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
21 - 40 of 48 Posts