VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
9,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
local welding/mfg co. is willing to rent a plasma cutter & do 4 or 6 swaps in a day if i can get the affairs in order. they've yet to quote pricing - but i just want to know what it'd normally cost (for labour only)
the deal would be that they supply their car & parts and this guy will do the plasma cutting/welding chop chop spot spot all done.
thanks for any info

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Re: cost to swap to round headlights? (vw_dick)

It takes a while to cut off the front and reweld it together. I'm not to familiar with a plazma cutter and how fast it cuts, but a normal job done by amitures can take around 40 hours. A professional..eh, 20-30 hours to get it completely done. Maybe less. Calculate labor costs off that. Good luck.

·
Banned
9,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: cost to swap to round headlights? (Ares33rc)

Quote, originally posted by Ares33rc »
It takes a while to cut off the front and reweld it together. I'm not to familiar with a plazma cutter and how fast it cuts, but a normal job done by amitures can take around 40 hours. A professional..eh, 20-30 hours to get it completely done. Maybe less. Calculate labor costs off that. Good luck.

plasma cutter would have those babies cut off in a matter of minutes... then it becomes a quick clamp job, tack & weld. i'm no welder, but i can't imagine it taking more than a few hours/car with the proposed method.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts

just wondering but why plasma cut the front off??? Once you can see all the spot welds for the rad support it takes 5 minutes to drill them out with a cobalt drill bit
Then you can line up the new core with the holes and tack the new one in plce. I did it in 2 hours in my driveway. Cost $225 for the support and 6 beers for my buddy to weld.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: cost to swap to round headlights? (Jeramiah)

Quote, originally posted by Jeramiah »
just wondering but why plasma cut the front off??? Once you can see all the spot welds for the rad support it takes 5 minutes to drill them out with a cobalt drill bit
Then you can line up the new core with the holes and tack the new one in plce. I did it in 2 hours in my driveway. Cost $225 for the support and 6 beers for my buddy to weld.

my buddy did body at the local vw/audi stealer and that is exactly what he said. "just drill out the spot welds as clean as you can and leave the holes so i can tack it at those spots".
this shouldn't take a shop anywhere near 20 hours.

·
Banned
9,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: cost to swap to round headlights? (Jeramiah)

Quote, originally posted by Jeramiah »

pro welder took a look at my car and said that'd be the best way to do it... clean and straight cuts.
the welds aren't just spots... they run the width of the rad support.
are you saying to drill a whole bunch of holes in a line?

his thoughts were that plasma would be best, and second best would be a torch - but messy... and third, if you could get it in there for the bottom angles, would be a sawzall.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

im looking to do the same thing, but from what i have noticed, the guy i bought the car from did a bunch of reinforcement welds to the rad support to the bumper supports.....so its going to take a lot of time to get it off...ive been putting it off for as long as i can because i know its going to be a pain in the butt.

·
Banned
9,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: cost to swap to round headlights? (Operation: Rabbit)

if someone could describe the best method of doing this, i'm all ears!

or better describe the drilling method.. etc
obviously the more economically efficient we can make this process, the more cars we can do in a day for less cash outlayed by all involved.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

I will take some pics tonight and outline the cuts i plan to make in hopes that it will be of some help to everyone.

·
Banned
9,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote, originally posted by Operation: Rabbit »
I will take some pics tonight and outline the cuts i plan to make in hopes that it will be of some help to everyone.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
& please inform us of both your cutting methods & duration(s), thanks!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vw_dick »

the welds aren't just spots... they run the width of the rad support.

Thats how mine is too, which is what lead me to think what I did

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

...also, i want to add that there are a lot of non factory welds shown here, so it might look a lot different when you look at yours.

·
Banned
9,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

those pics DO look helpful - please keep them hosted/posted!
also, please let us know your method(s) & time, info/stats etc on the project once you've don'er!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

i used a spot weld bit and a sawzall. took about an hour to remove after the joints were all cleaned up. then its just a matter of lining it correctly, clamping and welding. i too fed my buddy some
for the welding

good luck. its really not that hard

·
Banned
9,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: cost to swap to round headlights? (glidrew)

good stuff
i'm hoping the pasma cutter rental is cheap enough that it can be done & 4 or 6 cars done in a day w/ uber clean cuts/welds.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vw_dick »
good stuff
i'm hoping the pasma cutter rental is cheap enough that it can be done & 4 or 6 cars done in a day w/ uber clean cuts/welds.

I know a car that would like to get done..............................................
puhlease!

·
Banned
9,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: cost to swap to round headlights? (targo88)

Quote, originally posted by targo88 »

I know a car that would like to get done..............................................
puhlease!

here's the likely scenario:
the owner of ironman manufacturing would rent a plasma cutter, if it's cost effective.
ppl would bring cars & parts to a shop we'll have to arrange (for hoist access to do this easily) - i'd ask js performance to arrange for use on their day off so they can dual purposely showcase their services.
x# of dub minimum.
clean plasma chops
clean weld ups
cash to da man from ironman
& that'd be all she wrote!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts