VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to go on a rant here because I've been stewing on this for about nine hours now. There is a right way and a wrong way to do things with people, and I'm not just talking about with a car dealer, people in general, because being an Ahole seldom ever really gets you anywhere in life. A short while ago, the dealership i work for was approached by a family that had fallen on about as hard a time as can be imagined. Now these people had never bought a car from us, probably never will; and they hadn't once visited our service department. They came to us and asked us for help, and in return, at no cost to anyone but ourselves, we put a cylinder head, water pump gasket, 4 spark plugs, a battery, and a door handle in a car for them. The service department ate the cost of the parts and I myself came in on a couple days off to do the labor and didn't ask for a dime to do so. It's just good karma to help some folks when they need things the most.
Now whats got me all heated up, was today a gentleman showed up to the service department for a oil change, we informed him that his vehicle has an open service campaign that we would happily address if he didnt mind spending the extra 20 to 30 minutes. He responded that he didn't have the time to take care of the issue today, he needed to be in and out with just the oil change. Now during the standard inspection of the vehicle the tech found a mouse nest complete with two baby mice sitting on the cabin air filter, which he cleaned out (R.I.P. little mice) charging the customer nothing at all. While the oil change was being done, the owner of the vehicle was in the front threatening to talk to his lawyer if we wouldn't reimburse him for a battery (which was out of warranty) that had been replaced at his cost. After completing the oil change, the man paid for the oil change and then proceeded to become verbally angry that his check engine light (also out of warranty) had not been fixed while we did the free inspection. Keep in mind that he expressed he had not a moment to spare. At this point we decided to check and see what the DTC was in the vehicle, and found that it was something there is a reflash service bulletin to take care of. We offered to take care of this issue for him for a one hour charge, he again threatened to bring the issue up to his lawyer as he felt that he should in no way be charged to fix his vehicle, "I expect this vehicle to be trouble free all the way to three hundred thousand miles, at sixty eight thousand it should just be getting broken in."
The thing of course is, I myself have performed dozens of reflashes for people free of charge, especially with something like an oil change where I can have the reprogram running while the oil is draining, but I have no interest in helping out someone who has no interest other than attempting to throw his considerable weight around. The kicker about all this was that right before leaving, the man stated that a couple of years ago he was making 40 grand a month with his personal business and could've easily paid for the car with cash, and paid off his house......but didn't, and now the vehicle was about to be reposessed. For a parting shot he said that he would be calling the manufacturer and reporting what a horrible service experience he'd had.
The moral to all this, at least in my mind, is that not everyong who works for a dealer is a sleazeball, but I can tell you we deal with pricks all day long so one more won't raise any eyebrows. The way to suprise someone and get your way is to just ask nicely.

^^^similar to donated repair car

Modified by PsyberVW at 12:26 AM 3-21-2010

· Registered
11,849 Posts
Re: **cough** Stealership **cough** (NashGTI)

Hmm.
Well, cheers to you and all parties involved for being stand-up guys, and you did everything you could to try to please the other guy, so he can kick rocks. Seems like he's just bitter because of where he used to be, and still carries a false sense of entitlement.
Keep doin what you're doin.

· Registered
The Meatata, Olga-Vagon, DerpDango
2,643 Posts
Re: **cough** Stealership **cough** (Blackballed)

Quote, originally posted by Blackballed »
Hmm.
Well, cheers to you and all parties involved for being stand-up guys, and you did everything you could to try to please the other guy, so he can kick rocks. Seems like he's just bitter because of where he used to be, and still carries a false sense of entitlement.

This!

· Registered
191 Posts
Re: **cough** Stealership **cough** (89glwiththat)

Quote, originally posted by 89glwiththat »
Paragraphs. Use them.

It's people like you that bring this forum down. See this --> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4809496
Quote, originally posted by Blackballed »
Hmm.

This x2. Great work with the helping hand. Happy to hear people still care.

· Registered
28,252 Posts
Re: **cough** Stealership **cough** (skgvati)

i actually understand this which is why i rarely complain when getting any service done at the dealership
its amazing how a far pleasant additude goes i have gone so far as to let a lady with her maybe 6 month old baby be serviced before me so she could get back home
and in turn i got my next oil change free from the dealership (which was a total shock to me) all for being a nice guy who doesnt mind waiting a little longer for an oil change
it amazes me how some people feel entitled to things

· Registered
2,089 Posts

It makes it a lot easier to read a post when it's broken up in to legible paragraphs. Relax.

True... i ended up scrolling down to get hints about what the OP is ranting about.

· Registered
296 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Run L1ke H3LL)

I find it funny when people throw their "weight" around like that and generally feel kind of bad for the miserable state of mind they must be in.
" I was making $40K month, I'm going to call my lawyer (at $300/hr) and Im about to have my Hyundai with 68K miles repoed." "I expect 300k trouble free miles" ughh good luck with that unless you drive a Kenworth.

· Registered
14,082 Posts
Re: FV-QR (RzinDubs)

Quote, originally posted by RzinDubs »
Sounds like a jerk. Call a lawyer about a battery? Hello logic!

Should have handed him the phone and said "Here you go".

· Premium Member
1991 Civic Si
11,846 Posts

I'm pretty shocked that you did all that for a family. I hope that they really needed it, Maybe I'm a skeptic but if it was someone that you had never heard of, I'd be inclined to think it was a scam.

· Registered
10,253 Posts
FV-QR

Funny how people with less money than most tend to think the world owes them everything.

· Banned
1,458 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Black Smokin' Diesel)

Quote, originally posted by Black Smokin’ Diesel »
Funny how people with less money than most tend to think the world owes them everything.

shut up and feed my children while i get my next hookup, taxpayer.
people with less money have less money for a reason.
people who got screwed by circumstances outside their control deserve a pay it forward. always.

· Registered
3,809 Posts

Quote, originally posted by NashGTI »
I have no interest in helping out someone who has no interest other than attempting to throw his considerable weight around.

Well played!

· Registered
15,008 Posts

Paragraphs. Use them.

your post is useless and ill-conceived. Grow up.http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

OP - Nice story and i agree, while most dealerships shake you upside down for all the dollars and coins in your pocket, you come across a few nice ones, like mine in Riverhead. I take my car all the way out from Brooklyn NY to Long Island (~80 miles) to get my service done. they treat me right, don't rip me off (well its a VW...) and give me a loaner if i need one..
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.