VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MKIV GTI with KW Variant II coils, I went to lower the front back down from its winter height and the nuts are seized/jammed, I tried the first time Sat. night, cleaned the threads and doused the nuts with liquid wrench, could not get the helper nut to move, had a more experianced freind, (who is also the preivious owner who bought and installed the Coils) try it again tonight with me, we got the helper nut loose and moving-with the help of the floor jack pipe on the end of the coil wrench, it still took an insane amount of effort to turn the nut down the threads. Then we tried the upper nut with the spring on it, it will not move, we pretty much wrecked the spanner trying to get it to budge. We cleaned the threads good with a wire brush and lube. These nuts should not be that hard to move right? My friend said he could almost turn them by hand last fall? What are we doing wrong here? We tried Liquid wrench and some chain lube for a motorcycle, should we have greased the threads when we installed them? I must say for $1600 these things should work better than they do. Thanks for any help, I will be calling HPA in the morning

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Re: Couilover owners- I need some help here (Biz)

sounds like the winter salt and such have done their dirty work. try dousing the threads with a penetrant like WD40. also, a good tap with a rubber mallet often does wonders to loosen seized screws.

FWIW, i noticed some corrosion beginning to form on my V1s around the beginning of winter and coated all the threads with some thick gear/bearing lube and checked on them periodically throughout the winter and they gave me no problems when i dropped back down.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Couilover owners- I need some help here (Phishy)

went HPA website they talk about a lube that comes with the coils, anybody get this stuff?
HPA Quote-
"Our industry pioneering PSK spray ensures the height adjustability feature is protected throughout all four seasons. "

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Couilover owners- I need some help here (Jman5000)

HPA says to remove them, soak them in lube and try to get them loosened up, I guess I have plans for this weekend http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Re: Couilover owners- I need some help here (Phishy)

VolkShnell GTi used a brake cleaner everytime he adjusted his cooly overs-haha! Phishy can't spell!
j/k.
Anyway, he said that it worked better than WD40 and it didn't attract dirt. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Good luck bro

[Modified by craig20v, 1:54 PM 4-10-2002]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.