VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: could not wait for christmas, so i bought it now!!!!..... (XSiVE)

because it looks cool and shiny on the pool table!!!

its not THAT big, its only like 25inx12inx18in
still pleanty of trunk space

[Modified by speed51133, 3:55 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: could not wait for christmas, so i bought it now!!!!..... (speed51133)

nice cell

this things gonna be hardcore...whats your tranny setup?

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: could not wait for christmas, so i bought it now!!!!..... (oneflygti)

tranny arrives today!!
its an 020 with gearing from an ACN tranny. Quafie'd of coarse!!
4 puck solid disk from kennedy engineering, ACT pressure plate.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Re: could not wait for christmas, so i bought it now!!!!..... (vento 95 GL)

whats wrong with the stock gas tank? ar you trying to go syncro and need the space?

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Re: could not wait for christmas, so i bought it now!!!!..... (2kjettaguy)

why not just throw the 2.0L motor into an SUV..they already has huge fuel tanks so you would save money on buying a bigger cell for ur vw

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: could not wait for christmas, so i bought it now!!!!..... (87GolfKart)

the ACN was not a 16v.
i dont know what its out of, but i looked at a gear ratio table for OEM vw gears, and the ACN box looked the BEST for daily use, and some track time.
Whats wrong with the stock tank?
well, nothing really, but this is why i bought a cell:
I want a HIGH flow fuel pump. I mounted it inline already, but i had to find a spot. I liked the spot of the OEM fuel filter. I also wanted an adjustable regulator for fuel pressure. Nobody to my knowledge made one for our cars. So I bought one with AN fittings, and then made my own fuel rail with AN hose ends. I changed ALL my fuel lines, and put the fuel filter under the hood. Now im running 2 gas pumps. The one in the tank in very weak IMO. I think its starving the high flow inline one, and could cause cavitation, or just tire the motor. So i want to ditch my intank pump, and run ONLY 1 pump. Well, the stock gas tank does not have send or return fuel ports on it, they are attached to the pump housing, and are on the top of the gas tank. I dont like this. I want the sending line to be on the bottom of the tank. I was going to drill into the stock gas tank, and mount a bulkhead fitting to the bottom of the gas tank as my sending line, but due to the gravity feed setup id be using, and the gas tank being real low in comparison to the pump's new location, this would not be a good idea. I could have used an A2 VW's fuel tank. They have pumps inside, and a seconday pump as well. But i did not want an A2's tank. this cell was 200 bucks and looks nice too.
Maybe running 2 pumps would have been fine, but I dont know, nobody i asked new, and i wasnt sure, so i said screw it, and bought the cell.
Only bad part is now i cant use the indash fuel level gauge, so i bought an autometer fuel level gauge as well.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

hey mike, your doing it the right way...no hassles, no worries. thats why i never installed my hi-flo FP. i didnt want to take a chance on a rigged fuel system w/ the stock tank. later. man.

[Modified by oversteervw, 7:27 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: could not wait for christmas, so i bought it now!!!!..... (oversteervw)

eith my other new toy, digital camera, im going to take pics this weekend of the instal of this fuell cell, head gasket swap, and the SDS instal.
we shall see how much i actually finish, but there will be pics by saturday night or sunday.
does anyone here have a fuel cell?
i have a ?
on the bottom of the cell there is a sump. To mount the cell flush with the floor of the trunk, i either have to shim up the whole cell about 3 inches, or cut a section out of the floor of the trunk. What is common practise? I was going to just plasma cut out a section, but im thinking road noise might be kind of bad.
what do you guys do??

·
Registered
12,101 Posts

that thing is so pertty...will look good, and will server a great function in your car...good luck...sounds like you built the tranny respectingly too

·
Registered
3,353 Posts

>>i have a ?
on the bottom of the cell there is a sump. To mount the cell flush with the floor of the trunk, i either have to shim up the whole cell about 3 inches, or cut a section out of the floor of the trunk. What is common practise? I was going to just plasma cut out a section, but im thinking road noise might be kind of bad.
what do you guys do??<<
I've seen it done both way's,I'd think about shimming it up,and just running a line out,reason being,if you plan on racing it at the track,rules dictate that you have to have a metal cover there where you cut it out for the sump,so a lot of people have to cut/weld a box 3/4 of the way around it.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Re: could not wait for christmas, so i bought it now!!!!..... (ventoGT99)

quote:[HR][/HR]an acn tranny is out of a 1.8 16v[HR][/HR]​
my 1.8L 16v came with a 2Y stock...

·
Registered
5,837 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]

15 gallon, no fueling problems with this 2.0L!!![HR][/HR]​

<bowing> were not worthy...

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Re: could not wait for christmas, so i bought it now!!!!..... (H2oVento)

I bet you're not even going to use it for a gas tank... I bet it'll be full of
!!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Re: could not wait for christmas, so i bought it now!!!!..... (Blitzkrieg)

I don't know about mounting it but my friends new beetle has a fuel cell and he just removed the stock tank cut out where the spare tire goes and made a custom box out of sheet metal to mount it flush. I'll try and get him to post some pics of the install.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: could not wait for christmas, so i bought it now!!!!..... (Fast2.0L)

dropping the cell into the spare tire well puts it real low. the pump would be higher up in elevation than the center of the pump. since the pump is gravity fed, not a good idea.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Re: could not wait for christmas, so i bought it now!!!!..... (ventoGT99)

Are you sure it's not an ACH? That tranny has nice, driveable gears...
ACN tranny is as a matter of fact the most gutless tranny that came in 8V Golfs and Jettas in 1985 and 86

It has ring & pinion of 3.67 (66:18),
1st 3.45 2nd 1.94 3rd 1.37 4th 1.03 5th 0.75 / final drive 2.75
-good for economy, but otherwise gutless for acceleration - unless you have a turbo spining it up, that is
And I guess that Quaife will hold it down...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts