1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 weeks in first issue lol
Car wouldn’t open on remote this morning
Remote is fine. No flashing red led in doors

I opened with key and alarm went off. Car started then alarm stopped shortly after.

The clock had stopped at 11pm but other functions,radio,suspension etc were still present
On main unit the clock obviously was wrong and also the date but as above radio and climate etc still ok
I was thinking battery (it’s had the left one done already) but doesn’t make sense with infotainment system partly working
Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi.
It sounds like the VPS battery, the left one. Had the car been parked for a while?

I would charge it with a good AGM charger for 48 hours or ao, and see if the problems is fixed.
Also measure the voltage of the battery, not under 12V, if my memory is correct.
Check DTC's with a VCDS.

Wiken :)

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wondered that. Parked for 4 days last week but used Saturday. Parked Sunday.
Battery was replaced 2 years ago but car wasn’t used much till I bought it. I’ve done 1600 miles in 6 weeks though
If I do charge it, can I put connector straight to terminals?

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Yes. Charge both batteries directly, not from the jump start connections under the bonnet. Stick a meter on the battery first and check the voltage. Has it rained a lot recently?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rain.
Yep. All night last night after I’d washed it!!
Think a poke round the scuttle is a job when I get home

·
Registered
66 Posts
I keep a charger on mine more or less permanently. Haven't had any battery issues since. I actually just leave the charger connected to the battery and simply run an extension cord into the trunk. When I take it for a drive all I have to do is unplug the charger from the extension cord. What a joy to always start with a freshly charged battery. And I suppose it's also better for the battery itself.

Robert

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I keep a charger on mine more or less permanently. Haven't had any battery issues since. I actually just leave the charger connected to the battery and simply run an extension cord into the trunk. When I take it for a drive all I have to do is unplug the charger from the extension cord. What a joy to always start with a freshly charged battery. And I suppose it's also better for the battery itself.

Robert
I also do that with my other car that lives in the garage. However this is meant to be my anytime car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Repeat of above this evening. Well almost. Alarm didn’t go off and I had to do the ‘turn the key backwards in ignition’ trick to start the car. Only read about that yesterday luckily
Did 250 mile trip Sunday evening so definitely charged up

However last night I had a wheel off and didn’t disable Jack mode afterwards. Thinking I’ll just drive off next time. Would the car know this? And not go to sleep?
Does the starting thing mean it’s the other battery?
Accessory battery is showing 14.5v with engine running. Not checked other yet

·
Registered
2011MY Phaeton 3.0TDI V6
655 Posts
If you are having to do the emergency start procedure, then I would think your right (starter) battery may need changing. I don't think I have ever needed to charge my starter battery.
What are both batteries' voltage readings when the engine has been off for ~30 mins ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it the other way round?
Emergency start is low RH battery so utilises LH battery isn’t it?
However clock stopped and locking not working suggests low LH battery I think. Very confusing lol

·
Registered
2011MY Phaeton 3.0TDI V6
655 Posts
I think Invisiblewave is correct.
When the starter battery (right) struggles on starting, a relay automatically closes to parallel both batteries. i.e. uses left battery power to help turn starter.
When the left battery is low, the emergency start procedure is required to utilise the right battery to help power up all the computers.
(Am I right this time Martin?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see
I’ll check both voltage this evening, by which time the car will have been stood for 24 hours

1 - 20 of 33 Posts