VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....this will definitely affect moral, if not institutional support, being Todt was team guru for so long...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65884
Quote, originally posted by autosport.com »

Todt steps down as Ferrari CEO
By Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, March 18th 2008, 16:35 GMT

Ferrari's shareholders on Tuesday confirmed the board of directors for a three-year period, with Luca di Montezemolo staying on as president and Jean Todt stepping down from his role as CEO.
The Frenchman will be replaced by Amadeo Felisa.
Todt, who left his position as team principal of the Formula One team this year, had been appointed CEO in October 2006.
The Frenchman will remain as part of the Ferrari board, after been given special appointments in GT activities and Sports Management. He will also continue to represent Ferrari at the FIA World Council.
"My commitment to the President had been to manage the company until the end of his mandate as President of Confindustria and to indicate the new director of the Sports Management," said Todt.
"Having accomplished these tasks, a new phase of my life has now begun in which I will have more time to dedicate to myself and my other interests.
"Naturally I will continue to make a contribution to Ferrari in my institutional positions and in those which the President has chosen to entrust me."
Ferrari said in a statement that it "thanks Jean Todt for the extraordinary human and professional contribution he has made over the last fifteen years of sporting success and great growth for the company of the Prancing Horse."
The Board is now therefore composed as follows: Luca di Montezemolo, Piero Ferrari, Jean Todt, Amedeo Felisa, Alfredo Altavilla, Diego della Valle, Christopher Gent, Enrico Lippi, Sergio Marchionne, Paolo Monferino, Lindsay Owen-Jones, Marco Piccinini and Sergio Pininfarina.
The shareholders' meeting also approved the balance sheet of the company in 2007, when 1,668 million euro were invoiced and 6,465 cars were delivered.

· Registered
2,500 Posts
Re: Couldn't Come At A Worst Time (dubsix)

Quote, originally posted by dubsix »
This just in Todt to Honda..
jk
Personally, I think he and his son will try to buy STR, and probably take Massa with them.

Now I could see that happening for sure! The STR part that is. They already use Ferrari engines.
I think this isn't as big a deal as we think. He still is on the Ferrari Board, represents them at the FIA, and heads two branches of sales. He has already been out of the F1 team since last summer so that shouldn't have changed much with this news anyway.

· Registered
6,851 Posts
Re: Couldn't Come At A Worst Time (dubsix)

Quote, originally posted by dubsix »
This just in Todt to Honda..
jk
Personally, I think he and his son will try to buy STR, and probably take Massa with them.

this is what im thinking as well. but like schumi, they enjoyed a great run, very successful, wants to take a step back out of the lime light and focus on family and personal time.
i cant blame him, he trained his replacement and ferrari will be fine, they promote from within, so whoever is picked, has an understanding about the company culture and such

· Registered
6,851 Posts
Re: Couldn't Come At A Worst Time (wiredvw)

Quote, originally posted by wiredvw »

Now I could see that happening for sure! The STR part that is. They already use Ferrari engines.
I think this isn't as big a deal as we think. He still is on the Ferrari Board, represents them at the FIA, and heads two branches of sales. He has already been out of the F1 team since last summer so that shouldn't have changed much with this news anyway.

and he still has a big role in their gt motorsport program

· Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Couldn't Come At A Worst Time (Type S)

Quote, originally posted by Type S »

and he still has a big role in their gt motorsport program

That role just sounds to "give em a bone". Very short CEO tenure ain't it...?
As far as the STR sale is concerned, Tariko is said to be hot on there heels. But I can see Gerhard going with a sale to FCars Corporate.
Todt's shoes are huge to fill, and no matter how groomed and prepared, one can still falter when the pressures are on.

· Registered
2,500 Posts
Re: Couldn't Come At A Worst Time (Type S)

Quote, originally posted by Type S »

this is what im thinking as well. but like schumi, they enjoyed a great run, very successful, wants to take a step back out of the lime light and focus on family and personal time.

Not exactly the same. Schumi's kids are still very young and so is Schumi himself...relative to Todt. Todt's family is already with him (not sure how many kids he has). His son manages Massa so is probably already at races, his wife is Asian which is an area F1 desperately seems to be getting more involved with and an expanding market for Ferrari (a region Todt is responsible for IIRC). He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy just to step away.

· Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Couldn't Come At A Worst Time (wiredvw)

AND LOOK!!!!!!!
What does it all mean!? Pay attention to the names!
Quote, originally posted by grandprix.com »

Leach then departed Ford and was hired by Fiat boss Giuseppe Morchio to be head of both Ferrari/Maserati. Ferrari chairman Luca Montezemolo opposed the move and won a power struggle with Morchio, which resulted in Jean Todt being put in charge of the whole Ferrari company and Leach heading Maserati until it was moved under Alfa Romeo control in 2005. Leach then set up the Magma Group, an automotive consultancy group. This led to him being appointed to the board of Russia's GAZ International, an automotive company based in Nizhny Novgorod. Controlled by aluminium tycoon Oleg Deripaska, a close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, GAZ acquired LDV, formerly known as Leyland DAF Vans, and bought the Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Stratus production line from Chrysler's Sterling Heights assembly plant and announced that it will produce a car called the GAZ Siber and vans under the Maxus brand.
Magma then acquired Menard Engineering Limited, the rebranded TWR Group, which included the automotive design facility in Woking and the former Arrows F1 headquarters at Leafield, where Super Aguri is based. This operation was rebranded as UltraMotive, but maintained the same staff as it had had under Menard's ownership. The company's strategy was to help car companies from around the world develop new products, aiming specifically for ambitious new companies in the emerging markets of Eastern Europe and Asia. One of its first projects was the Siber. There are plans for annual production of up to 65,000 Sibers by 2010 but has further capacity on the same production line for other models which are currently under development. GAZ has 70 dealerships across Russia and in other eastern European markets.

Could it be?

· Registered
4,949 Posts
Re: Couldn't Come At A Worst Time (8v_gti777)

Quote, originally posted by 8v_gti777 »
Kind of confusing. I was really surprised when I saw this last night, I mean who would want to give up being the head of Ferrari?

Not exactly his choice. Luca helped him right out of that position!

· Premium Member
13,747 Posts
Re: Couldn't Come At A Worst Time (kfzmeister)

I think a good portion is related to what Peter Windsor mentioned in his article in F1 Racing. That is to say how Ferrari is a nicer place to be now with Domenicali as opposed to the days of ruthless rule under Todt. Obviously both Todt's and Luca's leadership have gotten Ferrari to be the leader in F1 and high-end road-going sports cars. That transition period from where Ferrari was in the late 80's to early 90's to today is now over. The current staff was brought up in this new system, and they will carry it forward. This is true for both the racing and road-gonig departments. But with that it's good for Todt to move on to allow Ferrari to develop into the next phase, whatever that may be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.