VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to get some coolant and tranny fluid and was wondering if there's any certain visc or grade i should get. i could'nt find anything about it in the manual and searching did'nt come up with anything either, i want to try redline fluid in the trans, any help/suggestions welcome, thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: couple fluid questions (ernisill)

What year is your car? I have a 95 Jetta and need G-11 coolant (the green stuff) while later models need G-12. As far as tranny fluid, it should be specified in your manual (it is in mine); if not, look in a Bentley or GASP call a dealer and ask.
Are you a racer? Then why get redline? Use OEM and change every year, that's just as good for everyday average driving.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: couple fluid questions (bugged)

my jetta is a 94, and no i don't race much, but tend to drive kinda hard on all the country roads around my house, and i've just heard outstanding things about redline so i wanna try it

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: couple fluid questions (ernisill)

Go for it! By no means should my opinions prevent you from buying it; I just tend to look at it differently that's all. Personally, I replace the tranny fluid every year so it wouldn't make a difference for me. I drive *hard* when I can but I have to balance that with economy cuz I drive a min of 70miles a day.

·
Registered
12,109 Posts
Re: couple fluid questions (Apoidea)

I've used Redline trans oil with excellent results, it really clears up sticky shifting when cold! Also, on coolant, I've switched to Prestone Longlife (5yrs/150K miles) and had good results, no precipitation/deposits (I pulled my water pump a couple of years after switch) its silicate/phosphate free and available on Sunday...VW dealers are not open for parts on a Sunday! Plus it costs like $7/gallon at most discout autoparts places, VW stuff is much more than that I"m sure!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: couple fluid questions (spitpilot)

>VW dealers are not open for parts on a Sunday! Plus it costs like $7/gallon at most discout autoparts places, VW stuff is much more than that I"m sure!<
No doubt! I checked the price and it was like $16/gallon! So I bought some Peak coolant--the phosphate/silicate free stuff--for around $5/gallon @ Super Kmart. I was stupid and bought two gallons of the G11 before I realized other brands made the same stuff. Duh. Lesson is you should read the labels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.