VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
underneath my coolant resevoir there is some sort of coke can shaped container with what looks to be vacuum connectors going to it, the one closest to the engine hasa T-connector, however there is another connector on the driver fender side that has nothing conencted to it. What is this part?
Also, i want to clean my throttle body. Is it a really delicate part that I should be wary of touching? I figure i really need to have it off the car to clean best as I want to clean it well. I figure i pull of the intake boots, and I have yet to take a closer look, but what holds it in place? what about the throttle cable? it seems like it is really easily to screw things up if i'm not careful? anyone have a walkthrough for this operation or any helpful pointers? thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Re: couple of questions (bpfoley)

sounds to me like the cruise control unit that you are describing. Does your cruise control work? if so, don't worry about the T connector

·
Registered
4,490 Posts

Yeah your coke can thing sounds like a vacuum resevoir or some kind of cruise control unit. As for the TB. You can clean it pretty well without taking it off the car. Just unhook all the boots and open the butterfly valve (grab the thing on top of the TB and turn) it is spring loaded. Hold it open and spray carb cleaner in there. Wipe everything clean. The TB is not really delicate. If you must take it off it is held on with 4 allen head cap screws. There is also a gasket inbetween the TB and the intake manifold if you take off the TB you will want to replace this. Oh you will also want to unhook the wide open and idle switches on the TB. They have electrical connectors.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: couple of questions (The_Jerbel)

hmmm. ok and yes my cruise control works, sometimes i need to hold it a bit longer a times to engage though. by chance though would anyone have a suggestion of where to get new vacuum hose? i just went to pep boys today and they didn't have any. Dealer? I figure it wouldn't hurt to go around finding all the vacuum hose under the hood and just replace it. You never know what 157,000miles can do to it.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts

You can get vacuum hose at Advance Auto. That least thats where I got mine last. Most of the discount auto parts stores will have it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts